PDA

View Full Version : UC Irvine cutting swimming

ehoch
August 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I know we go through this every year - but here goes another program.

While I am sad to see a swim program go, I just can't see how you can keep these programs running with the budget crunch in the state. They said the annual budget for the teams (men and women) is $400,000. That does not sound like all that much, but they have only about 40 athletes. Why would the state spend $10,000 per year per person on these athletes to be able to swim in college ???? They should be paying extra for the coaching and facilities. Most colleges have the best swimming facilities in town - I just came back from Santa Barbara - that pool is amazing, while the city pool downtown is a dump.

I loved swimming in college, but I see the European club based system on the horizon ....

Spock
August 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Erik, I teach at UCSB and the pool you swam in is great, but it's for recreation only (it's in the mandate it can't be used for collegiate athletics).

The pool the swim and polo teams practice in is old and falling apart. It's got its quirky charm, but definitely has that 1950's vibe.

ehoch
August 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
That's interesting - it was a great pool + good opening hours (sat til 8 PM). So they have two 50m pools on campus but the college team can't use the better one ???
Even more bizarre - or maybe not - don;t know

gshaw
August 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=ehoch;190319] I just came back from Santa Barbara - that pool is amazing, while the city pool downtown is a dump. QUOTE]

I have to say I have had some great workouts in Los Banos, the 50 meter pool on Shoreline. It's public. Not a dump at all. You must mean another city pool in SB.

Spock
August 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
That's interesting - it was a great pool + good opening hours (sat til 8 PM). So they have two 50m pools on campus but the college team can't use the better one ???
Even more bizarre - or maybe not - don;t know

The Rec Cen was originally paid for by student fees so its priority is to serve the general student population ... i.e. no special access for athletic teams, and I as a faculty have to pay to use it, as do staff. Then again, we pay to go to work in expensive parking permits and are getting a pay cut across the board euphemistically called a "furlough" this year so it's part and parcel. The glory days of a world class, accessible public education in CA are endangered, if not over.

james lucas
August 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
UC-Irvine leaves a great legacy in swimming. Not only did UC-Irvine in 1970 and 1971 (well, OK, maybe there were other years: that's all I can remember) win NCAA’s College Division championship, but they won it with style. To people who swam in the Cold And Frozen East, they defined swimming in Orange County, and maybe Southern California – back before anyone cared about Mission Viejo, and before Division II and Division III. The loss of this program is really a shame.