PDA

View Full Version : 50m Breaststroke - So many record holders, so little time?

Gydra
August 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Breaststroke is my favorite stroke... it's the one I try and pay attention to on the world scene. And something caught my eye on the women's 50m. Has there ever been another event where the american record changed amongst swimmers so quickly? I know lots of events have had the record lowered a bunch of times in rapid succession, but how about back and forth amongst swimmers?

The women's 50-metre breaststroke just got thrashed...

2007-Jessica Hardy
2009- Megan Jendrick (2 yr +/-)
2009- Kasey Carlson (2 weeks later)
2009- Rebecca Soni (1 day later)
2009- Jessica Hardy (1 week later)

Thought that was interesting! Four diff swimmers held the record in just two weeks time

ande
August 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
fast swimmers, faster suits, & the opportunity to race

Breaststroke is my favorite stroke... it's the one I try and pay attention to on the world scene. And something caught my eye on the women's 50m. Has there ever been another event where the american record changed amongst swimmers so quickly? I know lots of events have had the record lowered a bunch of times in rapid succession, but how about back and forth amongst swimmers?

The women's 50-metre breaststroke just got thrashed...

2007-Jessica Hardy
2009- Megan Jendrick (2 yr +/-)
2009- Kasey Carlson (2 weeks later)
2009- Rebecca Soni (1 day later)
2009- Jessica Hardy (1 week later)

Thought that was interesting! Four diff swimmers held the record in just two weeks time

Jeff Commings
August 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Plus, the 50 breast is not swum in the United States, so the first chance Americans got to chase the record, they went for it (i.e. worlds).

As for Megan and Jessica, they saw how fast it was getting and probably wanted a shot at the records.