PDA

View Full Version : RSA Shootout

thewookiee
August 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone planning on attending the RSA Shootout on Sept. 19th in Raleigh? The meet is at a great pool and it is a sprint meet.

http://www.ncmasters.org/forms/139-06.pdf

aquageek
August 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I have emailed the meet director to get a .doc entry form since you have to email it in. I have the USA Swimming form in .doc format. I do not have the USMS in .doc yet. I'm happy to send them to anyone if you PM me.

This is a sweet sweet pool and a large meet. Last year I think around 700 kids and then a handful of Masters.

Tentatively planning to attend and rough up some 6 year olds.

The Fortress
August 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM
This was a fun meet in a very fast pool, though a bit crowded. I have to take a pass this year because I will be swimming in a REAL wetsuit for the very first time, if all goes as planned.

However, perhaps they should change the entry form so that it doesn't say times will be submitted for TT purposes. Since they weren't.

aquageek
August 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM
have to take a pass this year ...

Boo, boo. That just means you will have to go to the Orlando meet on October 17/18 to make up for this slight.

The Fortress
August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Boo, boo. That just means you will have to go to the Orlando meet on October 17/18 to make up for this slight.

Is that part of the Dixie Zone too? lol

What the heck kind of pool is this meet being held in? Did I read that it was a Y pool? This meet could be on my agenda. I like SCM meets more than SCY meets (unless the 100 fly is involved) and wish we had more of those suckers.

Will it be thrashing #3 in the 100 back?

pwb
August 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
What the heck kind of pool is this meet being held in? Did I read that it was a Y pool? This meet could be on my agenda. I like SCM meets more than SCY meets (unless the 100 fly is involved) and wish we had more of those suckers.

This is the Rowdy Gaines meet. It is a YMCA facility, but wasn't originally. Looks quite nice ... see http://www.ymcaaquaticcenter.com/

BigNoodler
August 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Allow me to relay a few thoughts on this facility as I competed there some years back. Others may feel free to correct me if things have changed since I swam there.

The SCM course is actually the diving well, warm down pool. The water temperature was very warm when I swam there; however, I am unsure as to whether management will lower the temperature for this particular meet.

Although the pool is indoors, it is not climate controlled. The roof opens up to let the sun and heat in the facility. Some reviewers call it fresh air and sunshine and I call it stiflingly hot and humid. This was a huge issue for me as an older swimmer during the summer months as the facility directors seem to always keep the roof open.

I am accustomed to more state of the art complexes that are climate controlled and this is an older pool. This facility does get some good reviews but I wanted to throw in my :2cents:.

pwolf66
August 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Anyone planning on attending the RSA Shootout on Sept. 19th in Raleigh? The meet is at a great pool and it is a sprint meet.

http://www.ncmasters.org/forms/139-06.pdf

While it is a nice pool, it was a ZOO last year. But in a good way.

Is it still a combined USA-S/USMS meet? If so, does that mean that the USMS swimmers get to wear thier toys and the USA-S swimmers don't?

aquageek
August 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
While it is a nice pool, it was a ZOO last year.

Is it still a combined USA-S/USMS meet? If so, does that mean that the USMS swimmers get to wear thier toys and the USA-S swimmers don't?

Every meet there is a zoo, and I've been to 3 or 4 there the past year. Don't let it discourage others PLEASE!

As to suits, now that is a good question. Since it is a USMS sanctioned meet, we can wear what we want and mock the kiddies in their skivvies, right???

thewookiee
August 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Every meet there is a zoo, and I've been to 3 or 4 there the past year. Don't let it discourage others PLEASE!

As to suits, now that is a good question. Since it is a USMS sanctioned meet, we can wear what we want and mock the kiddies in their skivvies, right???

No, USA swimming rules will prevail. So, if usa swimming bans tech suits early, like say on Sept. 1, then masters won't be allowed to wear them at the meet.