PDA

View Full Version : Traveling airline pilot needs Chicago pool for an overnight

GGinn
August 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hey folks, I fly all over the country mostly 5 days a week. I have very limited training opportunities and no coach at home. I do though have a great group of motivated swimmers to train with when I am at home. While on the road, things are very different. As my schedule is pretty regular, I find myself in Chicago a lot (Midway airport and hotels) as well as NYC and DC. I have found several pools in the latter mentioned cities so I am asking any of you to let me know where I can train in Chicago by jumping on the train and or bus from Midway for a quick but intense workout from around 3pm tomorrow til about 7ish. I need enough time to eat and return to the hotel to get the rest I need for day four of flying. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for anything. Graham

ViveBene
August 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Sent you a PM.

smontanaro
August 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Try Chicago Masters at UIC (http://www.chicagomasters.com/). Take the Orange Line into the Loop, transfer to the Blue Line headed toward Forest Park. Get off at the UIC-Halsted stop (only a couple stops out of the Loop) and walk south on Halsted to Roosevelt, turn right and go about a block to the PE building (on the south side of Roosevelt). According to Google Transit (http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&sll=41.812267,-87.837067&sspn=0.732868,1.450195&saddr=Midway+Airport&daddr=Halsted+and+Roosevelt%2c+Chicago%2c+IL&ttype=dep&date=08/13/2009&time=3:05:00%20PM&dirflg=r) the CTA train ride will be about 47 minutes. Figure another 10 minutes to get to the pool on foot (you could catch the #8 bus going south on Halsted but it will only be faster if it's coming right as you emerge from the train station).

(or you could swim with Marjorie in Lake Michigan!)

Lump
August 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'll be in Chicago as well the 24th-27th this month in Oakbrook. Will be staying at the Double Tree and looking for a place to swim once or twice. Hoping to meet up with Amanda Hunt for a little "lake swim" if time permits.

lynnwa
August 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The Oak Brook Park District has a nice pool www.obparks.org for the schedule. The lake is the best bet though.

srcoyote
August 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've used the Lakewood Y pool and the Hilton (near Millineum park not Palmer House). Both are only 20 yarders, but they got the job done.