PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke - level head, chest out of water

notsofast
August 15th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Here is a link to some extended videos - 15 minutes to a half hour - of swimming training videos.
http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&SPID=11652&DB_OEM_ID=23000&ATCLID=204764964
My question comes from the 'Backstroke with Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte' video. Starting around 4:45 mark, it emphasizes a level head (eyes looking straight up, chin up high) and a chest out of water as important to a good backstroke. Any thoughts?

SolarEnergy
August 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
one has to be careful in trying to mimic stroke mechanics used by swimmers that train 20hr / week.

But this put aside, I'd say that given that you can achieve this position (being as high as possible on top of the water) due to good catch and pulling sensations, and given that this upper body position isn't too detrimental on lower body position... (I know, that's a lot of *given*), then your goal as a swimmer is to be as high as possible on top of the surface while racing, since it lowers the drag.

This is true for sprint free style, while breathing with butterfly, backstroke which is always sprints (200m or less). Breaststroke is different, you'd favor being low under the surface during the glide, and up high over the surface during the breathe.

Again, trying to achieve these positions without having the catch and pulling sensations that these guys have would probably turn out to be counterproductive.

nhc
August 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
it emphasizes a level head (eyes looking straight up, chin up high)

I've heard that looking straight up at the ceiling applies to relatively longer distance, but that for shorter distance say 50m your head should have a small angle to the surface, looking slightly toward the end of the pool (your feet direction) which helps with speed. "Chin up high" would make my nose filled with water :(