PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Team and Swimmers Times

Cokie
August 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm interested in other coaches ideas or tools for how they track team records, swimmers individual times, etc. Are you doing this with something as low tech as an Excel Spreadsheet? Or, are you using a specific program? The team I started has just gotten underway and this is something I'd like to be able to provide them.

Also, is anyone tracking threshold training times, practice times, practice splits, etc?

Cokie Lepinski
Coach - Marin Pirates Masters
(Novato, CA)

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Cokie -

The Nadadores use a tracking system for all swimmers meet times and records.
I'll post the info to you - I'm being trained on it this week!

Ahelee

Cokie
August 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Great timing - can't wait to hear what you think.

Kevin in MD
August 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Our team uses a spreadhseet for monthly time trials that calculates the critical pace and fatigue rate from the results.

I seemto recall that hy-tek team manager will track the meet times as well.

Cokie
August 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Kevin, I'll check out Hy-Tek.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes... this is it.

Team Manager - from HyTek

LMH
August 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
There is another program for managing teams and meets from Easyware. Programs do pretty much the same thing, but do not cost as much as Hy-tek, if cost is a factor. I prefer easyware meet manager and hy-tek team manager.

Cokie
August 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Thank you, I'll look into Easyware and Hy-Tek.

MaartenB
September 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I find the simple spreadsheet the best. If you make your own program using excell (as low-tech as it is), you will be able to explain every feature of your program and you will understand the results better.

If you trust a program created by someone else, no matter how good it is, you don't know what the program actually does and you cannot explain the results to your swimmers when you discuss them.

Really, don't be afraid to use low-tech solutions, at least then you know what is going on and it will push you to learn more yourself. Don't become another mindless drone that relies on others to do the work, your swimmers will notice the difference.

This is 7 years experience as a coach and another 9 as a swimmer talking. Take it from me, do the work yourself, the results might not be the same, but at least you'll have your pride.

SportCentric
January 10th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I have a program that I wrote that provides holding times for each swimmer for every set in a pracice. It is basically a very high tech workout manager. It is an EXCEL application, but I am convertng it itoan online tool. I can provide sample workouts and screen shots if you are interested. Email me at:

peteroneill1968 at yahoo dot com