PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mann - Denver Post

Tim L
August 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
There was an article this morning on the front page of the sports section in the Denver Post about Michael Mann. Nice article and good publicity for his business too.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13147720

Tim

Maui Mike
August 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Great article! Thanks for the post.

mctrusty
August 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
There was an article this morning on the front page of the sports section in the Denver Post about Michael Mann. Nice article and good publicity for his business too.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13147720

Tim

Thanks Tim!

ande
August 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
nice article
way to go

ande

Frank Thompson
August 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Interesting article, thanks Tim.

It mentions Jim Montgomery and I believe Jim's partner Bobby Patton went to the same HS (Littleton) but probably came in after Michael graduated. Michael swam excellent at this last nationals and he did the same time this year in the 400 IM at 5:08 that he did in Buffalo in 1994 at the Long Course Nationals there. I remember because I was 4th in that event back then. Its nice that he is able to go as fast now some 15 years later and I would believe a lot of swimmers would want to hang on to times that long.

I swim in Michigan Masters with guy that was at Univ. of New Mexico and he followed swimming from 1972 to 1974 but vaguely remembers Michael Mann. At that time New Mexico had a 200 Flyer named Brian Patno that made the consolation heat at the 1976 NCAA Championships. Interestingly Brad Horner, who was the other star in the 55-59 age group at this LC nationals, took 5th in this same event at the 1976 NCAA Championships swimming for Wisconsin.

The article says he was a c stringer in college but he was and excellent HS swimmer taking 2nd at the Colorado HS State Championships to a guy named Jeff Buckely who eventually went to LSU and swam for coach Ted Stickles. Stickles claim to fame is that he was the first guy to under 5 minutes in the 400 meter IM. Scott Rablais, who hasn't swam masters in a while used to swim with Jay Buckley at LSU.

gshaw
August 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Great article. Michael Mann is swimming some amazing times. I am esp. impressed with the IM's, and if I knew what the distance frees were about I might be even more impressed with those swims. To break McConica's records in the distance free events is damn good. I thought some of those records were untouchable. Amazing swimming Michael!

djacks
August 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Michael Mann's company - Swim Labs (www.swimlabs.com)?

I'm considering this and would like to hear what others think of it.

SKO
August 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I've been to swim labs and had a freestyle session.

I thought it was a great thing to do. They have cameras from several angles and they will put your video side by side with great swimmers so you can see where some of the differences are.

In the pool they gave me some feedback and told me to try some things, which you could instantly get feedback on by looking at the video after a minute or two of swimming.

They gave me (not sure if it ws additional $ or not) a CD with a few clips of my swimming and of another swimmer for comparison. I havent been back but to me it seemed like something you could do once a month or so and keep good tabs on what you're doing in the pool.

The big con for me was it took a while to get used to swimming in the endless pool.

Ken Classen
August 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I occasionally train and coach with Mike but it hasn't rubbed off yet...lol. I'm a cheapskate so I haven't actually gone to Swimlabs yet but I received a couple Swimlabs certificates as awards from a couple open water events I did this year, so I finally get to visit him at work. I have received a lot of positive feedback and seen improvement from those who have used his services.

mctrusty
August 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
I've been to swim labs and had a freestyle session.

I thought it was a great thing to do. They have cameras from several angles and they will put your video side by side with great swimmers so you can see where some of the differences are.

In the pool they gave me some feedback and told me to try some things, which you could instantly get feedback on by looking at the video after a minute or two of swimming.

They gave me (not sure if it ws additional $ or not) a CD with a few clips of my swimming and of another swimmer for comparison. I havent been back but to me it seemed like something you could do once a month or so and keep good tabs on what you're doing in the pool.

The big con for me was it took a while to get used to swimming in the endless pool.

I went there once also Scott. It was valuable and I agree that multiple sessions to check up on stroke development would be useful. I would've liked to do so but never could plunk down the money again. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna buy one of those underwater cameras instead.

My big problem with the endless pool was that the current wasn't really fast enough to get me up to race speed. I'm interested in seeing what happens to my technique when I'm really going for it.

mannswimlabs
November 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
thanks greg
michael