PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Director charged with embezzlement in Delco, PA

tjrpatt
August 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Jose Sotillo, the former Aquatic Director at Suburban Swim Center in Newtown Square was charged with embezzling 112K. Suburban is where Brendan Hansen swam during his high school years. In addition, it is home to Legendary Grace Cornelius. Of course, I, a USMS National Champion, is a full fledged product of this organization. Unfortunately, the facility on Gradyville Road will have to be sold. This is so sad because it just seems like every 10 to 12 years, something is wrong with this club. In 1995-1996, the old facility had to be shut down because the roof was going to cave.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2009/08/19/opinion/doc4a8bd9cf39699268732233.txt

http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2009/08/19/news/srv0000006156602.txt

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/20090819_Director_charged_with_embezzling_from_Del co_swim_club.html

TRYM_Swimmer
August 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Is that the old (50 & 60's) AAU Suburban Swim Club? I had a lot of friends there when I swam for York Y. I think Carl Robey swam for them for awhile. They were an age group powerhouse then. A lot of memories of swimming against them and Vesper Boat Club in the long course meet held every summer in Kelly Pool.

tjrpatt
August 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Is that the old (50 & 60's) AAU Suburban Swim Club? I had a lot of friends there when I swam for York Y. I think Carl Robey swam for them for awhile. They were an age group powerhouse then. A lot of memories of swimming against them and Vesper Boat Club in the long course meet held every summer in Kelly Pool.

I don't know about Carl Robey but I was coached by Bill Crawford. I was stunned to hear that they had Olympic Trials at Kelly Pool back in the day. When you think of Olympic Trial facilities, you don't think of Kelly Pool.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
In the late 50's, early 60's that place was considered the mecca of Middle Atlantic Swimming. We always looked forward to swimming there.

tjrpatt
August 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
In the late 50's, early 60's that place was considered the mecca of Middle Atlantic Swimming. We always looked forward to swimming there.

Not really sure what team is the mecca of Middle Atlantic swimming today. There are several pretty stacked teams in the area. West Shore Y had a guy who just missed Worlds. York Y just built a new facility and had Middle Altantic Champs there this year. I can't believe that they closed down the Lancaster Aquatic Club outdoor pool. Every summer, we would go there for Junior Olympics until Franklin and Marshall pool and the pool in Sewell, NJ, Bucknell became the "it" pools in the area.

jonblank
August 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'd think that Meadowbrook/North Baltimore Aquatic Club might be one of the current MidAtlantic "meccas" for swimming.

But I did read that Katie Hoff moved out to California. At least that Phelps guy still trains there; that is when he's not being photographed while inhaling in South Carolina, dating in Vegas, or driving his Escalade on the Eastern Shore or in downtown Brawltimore.

swimmieAvsFan
August 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'd think that Meadowbrook/North Baltimore Aquatic Club might be one of the current MidAtlantic "meccas" for swimming.

But I did read that Katie Hoff moved out to California. At least that Phelps guy still trains there; that is when he's not being photographed while inhaling in South Carolina, dating in Vegas, or driving his Escalade on the Eastern Shore or in downtown Brawltimore.

i think TRYM and tjrpatt were referring to the middle atlantic LSC... which does not include the baltimore area... that's part of the maryland LSC.

and tjrpatt, thanks for the WSY shout-out, that's my age group team! :applaud:

jonblank
August 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i think TRYM and tjrpatt were referring to the middle atlantic LSC... which does not include the baltimore area... that's part of the maryland LSC.

and tjrpatt, thanks for the WSY shout-out, that's my age group team! :applaud:

Oops, my bad. I was thinking of the Middle Atlantic region, not specific LSCs.

tjrpatt
August 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Oops, my bad. I was thinking of the Middle Atlantic region, not specific LSCs.

On the Middle Atlantic region as a whole, it is North Baltimore Aquatic Club.

ande
August 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's sad when stuff like this happens,

It's a serious issue in schools with booster club money, school districts employ auditors to go over the books and look for discrepancies.

There was a story out a few years ago about secretary who embezzled 2,000,000 from the episcopal church and claims she couldn't remember doing it, yet bought many luxuries someone at her salary couldn't usually afford

few years ago a CFO embezzled over 75,000,000 from a public company

art_z
August 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
thats a shame. I would train there on occassion with VFM when Villanova was not available. I hope the guy is being procescuted and sees some jail time.

orca1946
August 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
The stupid people of the world are in all sports & jobs !:badday:

tjrpatt
August 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
The worst part is that so much effort went into building that pool and now it is all down the tubs and the pool will have to be sold. If you want to buy a pool in Newtown Square, PA, here is your opportunity.