PDA

View Full Version : 2009 News: FINIS Reduces Prices on all Technical Swimwea

ande
August 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Industry News: FINIS Reduces Prices on all Technical Swimwear
August 17, 2009

LIVERMORE, California, August 18. TAKE advantage of the new FINA suit ruling with great deals on tech suits from FINIS, including the new AMPhibian suit. Selected technical suits are currently discounted up to 85% OFF normal retail price. Compete in a high-quality racing suit this fall and winter at a fraction of the cost. All suits are legal until January 1, 2010.

Suits originally priced as high as $349.99, now marked down to $20 - $60 per suit! Visit http://www.finisinc.com to order now.

AMPhibian™ Tech Suits (http://www.finisinc.com/Technology/tech_suit_sale.aspx):
Uniquely engineered racing suits that are bred for the water. Utilizes dual fabric technology, specialized compression networks, and stabilizing strips to help you achieve the optimal body position in the water.

suit /orig price / mark down price
* Male & Female Long John: $349.99 $60.00
* Male & Female Short John: $299.99 $50.00
* Male Race Tight: $249.99 $40.00
* Male Jammer $199.99 $25.00

HydroSpeed Tech Suits:
Comprised of hollow-core Scalex fabric that whisks away water with little to no water absorption. The embossed, scale-like finish and additional water-repellant characteristics further reduce drag for increased speed.

suit /orig price / mark down price
* HydroSpeed 2 Male Race Tight: $349.99 $30.00
* HydroSpeed Female Race Tight: $249.99 $50.00
* HydroSpeed Male Race Tight: $249.99 $30.00
* HydroSpeed Male Race John: $299.99 $35.00
* HydroSpeed Female Clipback: $249.99 $20.00

Source Swimming World Mag (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/22065.asp?q=Industry%20News:%20FINIS%20Reduces%20P rices%20on%20all%20Technical%20Swimwear)

bmswim
August 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update. Just bought one!

lefty
August 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Can anyone give a review? How good are these suits? I ordered a hydrospeed two for the heck of it ($30)....

ourswimmer
August 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Never worn the "amphibian," but my ankle-length hydrospeed suit is my favorite tech suit. I like it for distance races in the pool and for OW races.

Chlorine
August 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Too bad I don't compete...I love me a good sale :D

lefty
August 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Too bad I don't compete...I love me a good sale :D

For $25 buy an Amphibian Jammer. You will love swimming in it.

Chlorine
August 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
For $25 buy an Amphibian Jammer. You will love swimming in it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question (still a newb) but how much buoyancy support do the jammers give? I'm still working on my basic freestyle technique, so I imagine these may be a bad idea?

orca1946
August 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well sure since the 1st meet here in Ill will be after the ban takes effect !

swmrgrl
August 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Can anyone give a review? How good are these suits? I ordered a hydrospeed two for the heck of it ($30)....

I have raced in both the Hydrospeed and AMP suits and love them! The AMP is more comparable to the Blue Seventy suit with it's compression panels, while the Hydrospeed is more like the original swim skin (without any rubber components). Both are FAST race suits and I've set PRs in both! :)

finis
August 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I am the product developer for FINIS and just wanted to call out some of the features of the AMPhibian suits:

Dual Fabric Composition: PU and "Scalex" material are comfortable and built to last.
Smart Compression Network: Compresses and streamlines the body into the ideal swimming signature
Stabilizing Strips: Supports proper swimming posture and stabilizes core muscles while supporting the chest, back, and leg positioning
Bonded Flat-lock Stitching: Creates a sleek and durable seam line
Low Profile Zipper: Durable zippers positioned along upper-back and bottom of legs allow the suit to be easily put on and taken off
Learn more at www.finisinc.com (http://www.finisinc.com)

So not only is the suit just about the fabric (like other brands may call out on their suits), but we actually put some thought into the technique aspects into it so you are in the best swimming position you can be in.

At these prices, the suit is well worth it right now, and you can always use it to train in if FINA ever decides to put an actual date on the ban.

-Mark
ideas@finisinc.com

frankiej
August 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Even though I don't race or anything, but $25 for a Jammer...hell I'll take it!

Ordering as of now.

Chlorine
August 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Any tricks to make sure you get the right size (for the jammer)?

frankiej
August 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Any tricks to make sure you get the right size (for the jammer)?

I just ordered what I usual do. I wear two different sizes depending on the material but this is tight fitting so I went with the bigger one.

It only goes up to 34 though which is what size my other two jammers are (both Polyester which stretches less then lyrca and other materials).

Chlorine
August 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I just ordered what I usual do. I wear two different sizes depending on the material but this is tight fitting so I went with the bigger one.

It only goes up to 34 though which is what size my other two jammers are (both Polyester which stretches less then lyrca and other materials).

Thanks for the input...just found out they don't ship to Canada though:badday: Ah well, we never get the good deals our way :D

Spock
August 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Anyone have experience on their sizing? I'm a 32 but wear a 28 in the Blue 70 Nero full body ...

Thanks

lefty
August 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question (still a newb) but how much buoyancy support do the jammers give? I'm still working on my basic freestyle technique, so I imagine these may be a bad idea?

I would argue that swimming in a tech jammer would better your technique.

finis
August 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
2 links that may help...

size chart: http://www.finisinc.com/img/technology/amp/amp_size.jpg
care sheet: http://www.finisinc.com/PDFS/Technology/AMP_CARE.pdf

These are made to run tight!

swimcat
August 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM
2 links that may help...

size chart: http://www.finisinc.com/img/technology/amp/amp_size.jpg
care sheet: http://www.finisinc.com/PDFS/Technology/AMP_CARE.pdf

These are made to run tight!

i read the size chart and ordered a 30 in the hydrospeed, because it said wear what size u practice in. i just got it, and to me it is a little big. took 5 minutes to get into.
is that how it should be?

quicksilver
August 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for posting Ande.

Is USMS imposing a ban in the near future? I'd like to get a few swims in the dirt cheap full suit before January.

ourswimmer
August 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
i read the size chart and ordered a 30 in the hydrospeed, because it said wear what size u practice in. i just got it, and to me it is a little big. took 5 minutes to get into.
is that how it should be?

When I bought my hydrospeed suit, I bought the size that I would have bought for a tank suit to race in (32), not to practice in (34). It took longer than 5 min. to put on the first time. Now it goes on pretty fast, but it's still a good suit for me. If I were to buy another I think I'd get a 30.

I just bought one of the "amphibian" suits and followed the size chart (bought a 30) but I haven't tried it on yet.

swimcat
August 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
they told me to try it in the water, but i have a feeling i should have ordered the 28. the 30 seems big in the hip'/area but ok in the top ( i am only pouring half way out. lol
i wear a 28 in a tank and knee skin for speedo and tyr so i was unsure.

Spock
August 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sized down one size (I wear a 32, ordered a full body amphibian 30) and it took me 20+ mins to get in. Finis says that's normal. Just ordered a 32 to compare and will return one. Will post results here.

frankiej
August 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I wear a 34 in the Speedo Endurance Jammer and ordered a 34 in the Amphibian jammer.

Got to it today and it fits pretty good. I could have went a size lower but I don't race or anything so it's comfortable. The material is wind-breakerish which caught me by surprise. One thing I did notice was the string on the top is very long so I cut it and feels good. Just have to try it in the water now.

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I got my order on Wednesday. A couple of things I noticed:

1) The stitching on these suits is thick. That means more drag. It also means more sturdy. Considering my level of competition I am perfectly happy with the trade off (For what it is worth the stitching on the LZR really is phenomenal).
2) The black full pants hydrospeed in an awesome looking suit. I put it on and, I dont know, it just looks great. Black and yellow.
3) I wore an Amphibian Jammer in an open water swim yesterday morning. I liked the results but it really does feel funny at first. Because of the (strong)durability I would recommend that you try it out a few times.

I think the amphibian jammer is the perfect suit for a duathlon.

frankiej
August 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I just ordered the hydrospeed 2 leggings as well... I'm assuming they are just like the Hydrospeed without the gold trim?

Dolphin 2
August 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I guess the suit makers & dealers are noticing the dark clouds gathering around the controversy over suit technology and the mounting pressure on FINA to limit their use and possibly get rid of 'em altogether.

It looks like the dealers are heeding the old sayings "Read the handwriting on the wall" and "Strike while the iron's hot" and accordingly, they've started running a "liquidation sale". :badday:
Dolphin 2

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I guess the suit makers & dealers are noticing the dark clouds gathering around the controversy over suit technology and the mounting pressure on FINA to limit their use and possibly get rid of 'em altogether.

It looks like the dealers are heeding the old sayings "Read the handwriting on the wall" and "Strike while the iron's hot" and accordingly, they've started running "liquidation sales". :badday:
Dolphin 2

I don't know why I care, but I do: Dolphin you contribute absolutely nothing to this forum except for complaints about tech suits. I just clicked on your profile and then looked at your past posts. Almost 100% of your posts are tech suit bashing. I dont get it. I mean I actually kind of agree with you, I am glad about the technology rollback, but do you really have nothing else to offer? The only thing I can come up with is that you post under different names and Dolphin2 is your "tech suit bashing" alter-ego. As lame as that would be I guess I hope that is true, because if you really have so little to offer, well, that would just be sad.

PS: I just reread this and it comes off a little mean. I am not going to edit it, but rather add that I hope you have more to offer in the future.

Spock
August 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Sizing update. Received my other suit and compared. I am a 32 and ordered the long Finis Amp in 30 and 32.

The first time I tried on the 30, it took me 20+ minutes. Today, I put on the 32 in less than 5 ... very similar to my Blue70.

With the 32 on, it felt fairly snug, but bending over for a start left a bunch of fabric bunched behind my knees.

Tried the 30 on again and this time did it in about 7-8 minutes (most of it struggling to get over the butt). It felt much tighter and given that I think it will slightly stretch over swims, I'm keeping it.

So my advice, if you want it for what it's designed for (streamlining, compression, etc) it's worth considering 1 size down.

If you want it for comfort/fun/ease of getting in/out of, go with your size.

Given we may only have a few months with these (I hope not, but that's another story), I'm sticking with a size down.

pwolf66
August 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
PS: I just reread this and it comes off a little mean. I am not going to edit it, but rather add that I hope you have more to offer in the future.

Most of us have given up on that hope. He's just your basic iTroll.

Dolphin 2
August 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
From Lefty: I don't know why I care, but I do: Dolphin you contribute absolutely nothing to this forum except for complaints about tech suits. I just clicked on your profile and then looked at your past posts. Almost 100% of your posts are tech suit bashing.

Hey Lefty
Well, here's the reason why.

Actually I've been visiting the USMS site since 2000. However in the past 5 years, I've noticed that the topics on the discussion board have evolved from truly interesting chit chat about basic swimming techniques to what's the "latest & greatest" in suit technology.

An apparel item that onced covered only 8% of a swimmer's body (and cost only $12 at Sears) has now evolved into some expensive tacky craze like something out of the script of a movie about the Los Angeles car culture.

So other than providing a scientific/academic experiment in the subject mechanically aided swimming, the whole suit technology issue doesn't have much athletic esteem in the opinion of many people. Hearing that Joe Schmoe set another new WR by using a new fangled speed suit has become pretty blas'e and ho hum (and highly enticing to trolls to boot).

It's like the monotony of hearing people talk about their expensive new BMW and I just get totally dazed when I hear people swooning and gasping to the point where they're about to fall on the floor while saying "Oh............I just can't wait until the new models (tech suits that is) come out". :blah:

Dolphin 2

__steve__
August 31st, 2009, 11:58 AM
I would like to get a jammer style tech-suit. It would pay for itself for durability during training, but most of all I would at least look fast (even though I can't turn worth a crap yet)

lefty
August 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hey Lefty
Well, here's the reason why.

Actually I've been visiting the USMS site since 2000. However in the past 5 years, I've noticed that the topics on the discussion board have evolved from chit chat about basic swimming techniques to what's the "latest & greatest" in suit technology.

Sell your BS to someone without a brain because anyone can see this is plainly not true. If you are frustrated by the content of this forum you would offer alternative topics. You dont do that at all. Further more, it does take much to realize that you direct the conversation towards the "tech suit" debate more than any poster on here simply because of your incessant complaining over the matter.

lefty
August 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM
I would like to get a jammer style tech-suit. It would pay for itself for durability during training, but most of all I would at least look fast (even though I can't turn worth a crap yet)

This is so true! Get the Amphibian Jammer. Really at $25 there is nothing to lose. Better act fast though, I am going to be ordering a couple more....

Spock
August 31st, 2009, 12:34 PM
FWIW,I ordered the jammer to size and it's fine (as opposed to full body where I sized one down)

orca1946
August 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Jammers. Do they come in a 36 or 38 ?

Mswimming
August 31st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Sell your BS to someone without a brain because anyone can see this is plainly not true. If you are frustrated by the content of this forum you would offer alternative topics. You dont do that at all. Further more, it does take much to realize that you direct the conversation towards the "tech suit" debate more than any poster on here simply because of your incessant complaining over the matter.

You have an odd response to a Dolphin's post. Seems like he answered your comments sincerely and with thought. I've been on the forum for quite a while and I'm more interested in training and technique discussions. But those are fewer and farther between. And it takes more effort to locate those. Suits discussions on the other hand are easy to find.

Back to the topic, I just ordered a long john amphibian suit. The only suits I have raced in have either been clearance rack models or suits given to me. For $60 I think it is worth it to get the chance to swim in one before they are no longer allowed.

I am worried that I got the wrong size. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. I went with a 32. Should I have gone with a 30?

Spock
August 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I am worried that I got the wrong size. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. I went with a 32. Should I have gone with a 30?

No that's the correct size. I'm 6'1" & 180# and the 30 is really tight.

Mswimming
August 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks Spock! Its good to know that I ordered the right size.

__steve__
September 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
amphibians are out of stock now

But, the pants type are in stock. I bought two of them. I'm 6'1", 165lbs and got 30's. they should fit because I have no butt.

I think they are supposed to take several minutes to put on because this increases surfaces density which makes you faster.

frankiej
September 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Update on the sizing of the amphibian jammer...

I swam in it today and it was a tad bit big on me. I could feel the water going through the suit at my waistline since it wasn't tight enough. It was easier to swim in but very uncomfortable due to the water rushing in the suit through the waistline.

So, I guess 36 should order 34 and 34 should go with a 32. Sorry if this isn't the place but if anyone wants an 34 amphibian jammer for dirt cheap I'll certainly pass it on to whomever might find it useful!:wave:

__steve__
September 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Finis has excellent service. One set of tights had stitching near crotch unthread after 1st use (still within 30 day's). No more were in stock, so they're sending a hydrospeed john as a replacement.

geminidragonizer
September 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry, I'm a tech suit noob. I'd like to buy one of these sexy suits, but I do predominantly indoor swimming. Eventually I'd like to do a triathlon, but not any time in the near future.

Q: Is it commonplace to train indoors with a tech suit? Would size 26 or 28 fit better for someone 5'7", 160 waist 32?

Thanks

__steve__
September 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Q: Is it commonplace to train indoors with a tech suit? Would size 26 or 28 fit better for someone 5'7", 160 waist 32?

Thanks Here is the sizing chart
http://www.finisinc.com/img/technology/amp/amp_size.jpg

I am 6'1", 164 lbs, waist 31" and got two amp tights size 30. They fit perfectly except they're a little short on the lower legs. The first time it was too tight in some areas and too loose in others, but they break-in well.

The reason I purchaced was for having a suit that will last a whole season for just $40.

JHUSF
September 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
It's funny - I was going to post in the other tech suit thread (okay so there may be tons of them, the one closest to the top) voicing my main concern with the technical suits, which is that the cost is prohibitive for those on a limited budget.

Now I see this thread, and I am very grateful to Finis for offering me and anyone else who doesn't have lots of extra room for discretionary spending the opportunity to try racing in one of these suits, even if it will only be for a few times until regulations are set.

Signed,
A poor graduate student :)

frankiej
September 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I've worn my Hydrospeed 2 about 3 times now and it's a very well made suit. Fits very snug and feels great!

qbrain
September 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM
Any opinion on picking up a Finis just for sprint training. I see a pro of training at true race pace in practice (potentially), but at the same time I will be training in a suit that I will not wear in competition.