PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Great Shoulder Surgeon

pamorton
August 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hello, I have had problems for many years with my left shoulder. I had arthroscopic surgery for impingement in 1990, and it has been sore when I swim on and off since then. I hurt my shoulder when swimming last summer and have not been able to swim since. I have been seeing an orthopaedic surgeon since last summer lots of injections and physical therapy - he now suggests surgery on my AC joint but I am not sure he fully knows what is wrong with my shoulder. Can someone please suggest a surgeon who is very well known to be a leader in shoulder surgery, especially for swimmers, who works in or near Maryland? Any help appreciated, thanks Paul. :bliss:

Swimosaur
August 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Maryland? Based on my sincere belief that everything is great at Johns Hopkins, try

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/orthopedicsurgery/shoulder.html

All disclaimers apply.

DianaC
August 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Try Dr Mustafa Haque in Chevy Chase. He is really nice, relatively young, understands swimmers, even does some swimming/tris himself. He was recommended to me by a friend (also a doc), because he did her husband's shoulder surgery. 301-657-9876 Summit Orthopedics.

orca1946
August 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
My wife has had 7 surgeries. The last 2 by Dr Charlie Rockwood in San Antonio, texas. He is HIGHLY recommended! Good luck!

blainesapprentice
August 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
The belief that all things John Hopkins is grand is risky...from personal experience.

Dr. Jo Hannafin in NYC. http://www.hss.edu/physicians_hannafin-jo.asp
-->The only orthopedic I will ever use from here on out...def worth what would be a few hours drive for you...

She did both of my shoulder reconstructions and I was back in the water (swimming competitively) 2months post surgeries

ande
August 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
if I had shoulder trouble I'd go see Austin Sports Medicine orthopaedic surgeons (http://www.austinsportsmed.com/doctors.htm) Dr Nathan Breazeale or Dr Doug Elenz (Doug operated on Lance Armstrong when he broke his collar bone),

I swam with both of them at UT

Nancy Ridout
August 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I've had 4 shulder surgeries, 1 on the left and 3 on the right. My PT suggested I see the SF Giants orthopedist for the last one, Ken Akizuki, as he deals with over the head motion everyday with pitchers and players. It was an excellent choice - great experience with shoulders and working with athletes. While SF is a long way from Maryland, you might check out the orthopedist from the Orioles or the Nationals to see if they would work with you.

Rich Abrahams
August 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Nancy,
You beat me to it. I agree with your advice 100%. Major league baseball teams have a huge investment in their players and usually have excellent docs that also understand athletes and their desire to get back to competition. These docs also get the best radiologists to read the mri's (mine got sent to some docs at UCLA) and also work with great pt's. At least that has been my experience here in Denver.

Rich

marksman
August 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
And get a second opinion too, if you want peace of mind. Particularly a good diagnosis of exactly what is wrong through imaging, before you even begin to discuss whether you are going to go into the OR.

sanwin
August 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have had 3 shoulder scopes,for 3 different injuries,I highly recomend Anthony Miniaci, Cleveland Clinic. Sorry I know Cleveland is a distance from Maryland.

orca1946
August 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Good luck on who you choose to help you. :applaud:

jkripke
September 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I've had 3 surgeries by Gordon Nuber at Northwestern in Chicago, he's great (Bears team MD as well).

pamorton
September 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback.

I have been looking at local surgeons, especially checking out the Johns Hopkins team who also are sports medicine and Orioles team doctors. There are three to choose from in the Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery area who all look good - my wife suggests using the one with 'shoulder' mentioned the most times in his interests - Steve Petersen www.hopkinsortho.org/steve_a_petersen_md.html I was also suggested by a friend to go to Dr Anand Murthi at the University of Maryland www.umm.edu/doctors/anand__murthi.html If anyone has any feedback on any of these doctors, good or bad I would love to hear it.

I am back in the pool now swimming very gently - my AC joint hurts a lot, but as it is apparently due to arthritis I will just ice/NSAID it and ignore it. I want to lose some of the weight I have gained since stopping swimming so that the doctor will believe me when I say I need to be able to use the shoulder for competitive swimming once they finish working on it...

I will let you all know how it goes.

Paul

__steve__
September 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Do you lift weights?

My left shoulder has fully dislocated a dozen or so times since 1993 and has given me trouble continuosly and I have never had surgery. It's happened so many times that I've learned to reset it myself. It also has changed how I sleep, my activities, even my appearance (left shoulder chest and back muscles look much different than the right). One thing though, it has not popped out of socket since 2001 and even though every single freestyle stroke is on the verge of disslocation, the swimming actually helps it. Even if I overdo the swimming it's usually my other shoulder (right) that becomes painful.

The most advantageous thing I've done for it is weight training. If I didn't, I probably would have never started swimming last year, something I enjoy passionately. I also do several specialized shoulder workouts every other day with light weights that strengthen supporting muscles.

My main point is not to discourage finding a surgeon, you probably know better than anyone what you need, but my own personal testimony of how weight training help me out. I don't know how many more years I have before I will need to do the same but for now it's in much better shape than before.

Good luck

pamorton
September 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks Steve,

yes I do weight training and some cardio work, especially as I did not swim for most of the last year! I learned the exercises to strengthen my rotator cuff, and use them as well as some for the bigger shoulder muscles. It does help, although building up weight training once I stopped swimming is what started the AC joint to hurt more. You can't win when you get older...

Paul