PDA

View Full Version : swimming and uri

bobperk12
August 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have been training off and on for about a year now and am having recurrent upper respiratory infections, I do about 1000 yds 4x weekly, much of it I'd say 85% of sprint speed, mostly repeat 50s , 15 x 50, and 10 x 25 kicking, then sprint 25s, 10-15 x25. I work in manhattan, spend 3 hrs a day commuting, so sometimes I am very tired. I am in decent shape, having done weights and cardio at the gym for years, so I don't see how I could possibly be overtraining.My post nasal drip has become year round. used to be just during winter months. so far 8 times this year have gotten head colds, hoarseness, and congested chest. whenever I start to see myself making progress I get sick, it's very frustrating! Twice I have been on antibiotics, not sure if it's viral or starts out viral then bacterial sets in. has anyone gone through this ? any advice?

SolarEnergy
August 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
hmmm well well well. Lot of things going on...

scenario 1
Swimming may be irritating on respiratory functions. The fact that you mostly commit to sets that generate high accumulated o2 deficits forces you to breathe heavily near the surface, which could worsen matters little bit.

Could be an allergy thing that triggers something that looks like an infection. Could be an infection that got worsen by some allergy. Infection goes away but not the symptoms. So now you have the impression that the infection doesn't go away.

scenario 2
You're like a friend of mine which is subject to this sort of episode, although not at this extent.

Could be both scenarios.

Was it like this before you decided to take on swimming?
What happens when you stop swimming, and for how long do you typically stop?

bobperk12
August 23rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
before swimming , maybe once or twice a year, swimming is definitely a factor, when I stop swimming it goes away,you're right the post nasal drip could be allergies,i will be going to the doctor next week to see what he suggests,another thing the harder the workout... more huffing and puffing; more chance of getting sick,also if i'm tired and swim that increases susceptibility, hopefully dr. will shed some light and i'll take it from there, thanks for your input

SolarEnergy
August 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
before swimming , maybe once or twice a year, swimming is definitely a factor, when I stop swimming it goes away,you're right the post nasal drip could be allergies,i will be going to the doctor next week to see what he suggests,another thing the harder the workout... more huffing and puffing; more chance of getting sick,also if i'm tired and swim that increases susceptibility, hopefully dr. will shed some light and i'll take it from there, thanks for your input I used the word allergy but it may be less than an allergy, like merely an irritation due to chlorine.

Of course, not being a doctor I won't mention about medication, but I am sure your physician will help you picking the right stuff to improve this.

Good luck!