PDA

View Full Version : Reg Richardson Santa Barbabra

RegRichardgrandson
August 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hi All,
I ran across this discussion board and thought I'd register and see if there is anyone that remembers my grandfather Reg Richardson from Santa Barbara. I have an article about his swimming and also an old medal that I have been tellng my 5 year old son about, and thought it would be fun if he could also hear something about him from people over the internet.

I'd also lke to post a picture of the medal to see if anyone could possibly tell us anything about it.

Happy swimming!
Pat

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
You will NEVER believe this but it is absolutely true...

I read your message early this morning.

Then today at the Mission Viejo pool, I heard the name Reg Richardson in two different conversations.

#1 - talking about the former era of SPMA committee members who voluntarily ran the masters swimming show in SoCal. Reg was very active.

#2 - Margit Graef who is one of the original MV Nadadores from the early 70s. She was talking about the old gang of masters who swam at meets and were so fast.

Those of us who swim or swam in Santa Barbara know the name because a pool there is named after Reg.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
My (soon-to-be) wife and myself spent a wonderful 17 days in 1974 with Reg and about 40 other Americans who attended the first Masters meets in Australia and New Zealand. He was a handsome man with large shoulders and a perfect gentleman. Quite a swimmer too. We would see him from time to time at Nats until we moved out of the country for awhile in 1977. If you go to the Nationals section of this web site and look at the 1975 Short Course results, on page three, there is a picture of him standing in the pool with another, unknown to me, swimmer (4th row, middle picture).

This was the time when Masters was still under the AAU. Please post the picture of the medal.

He was a great guy and we certainly remember him fondly.