PDA

View Full Version : Recovery

wlacobee
August 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I am a 56-year old Masters swimmer. I have been a masters' swimmer for 25 years and have been active, again, this time, for five. I am increasing the distance I swim each workout for the month (Now at approximately 25 miles a month). I am having a difficult time with recovery. Throughout the day I swim, I am tired and my muscles worn. Sometimes the "hang over" last through a second day.

What do I do to get to this "next level'? What do I do to help my recovery?

Thank you.

chaos
August 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
experiment with some of the recovery drinks out there. i find it important to get some protein in me shortly after a workout so i am ready for the next one.

Chlorine
August 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Few things to consider here:

1) You may not be eating enough calories to support your new activity level. I would suggest bumping your food intake in the form of carbs and protein.

2) Be sure to take in a meal before your swim, ensuring that it contains a good dose of carbs. If it is liquid, a half hour before. If it is solid, then 1- 2 hours before.

3) If you are working out longer than 2 hours, taking in some form of recovery drink/gel during your swim, will help alot.

4) After your workout, follow up with a regular meal. If you are really on empty, this can be immediately in the form of a liquid protein/carb drink. Otherwise, you just have something solid when you get home.

On a final note, depending on your workout schedule, it does not hurt to carb up the night before a scheduled swim workout. That will help restore some of your glycogen stores and give you more energy and power for your swim.

marksman
August 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I remember reading about a professional swimmer who would bring her masseuse with her to her competitions, I guess she felt it was very important to her recovery. Perhaps a professional massage from time to time would help.

qbrain
August 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Chlorine makes some good recommendations. Let me add a couple to that.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep. I need more than eight hours of sleep when I am training hard, but less when I am not training. Your sleep demands may have increased with your training increase, but your amount of sleep is probably the same as it has always been.

Several of us have experimented with dropping alcohol and caffeine with a positive effect on our sleep. We fall asleep sooner and sleep remains uninterrupted. I have switched to alcohol only on the weekends, so I can get better sleep before my 4:30am wake up for week day swim practice. Someone else has cut out caffeine and alcohol completely to improve their sleep. All three of us were regular evening wine drinkers, and all three of us noticed an immediate improvement in sleep when we cut out the evening wine. A glass of two of wine in the evening immediately resulted in a worse nights sleep.

What does a week of your workouts look like? If you are doing back to back intense sprint workouts, then you can't recovery from that in 24 hours. Either take a day off or do a day of aerobic type/drill work after a high intensity day or two.