PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Hansen Talks About Speedsuit Impact

quicksilver
August 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
August 17, 2009
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/22056.asp

CRANBURY, New Jersey. August 17. The medal detector so successfully used by Brendan Hansen during his international swimming career has been in his garage for a year. And considering the state of the sport, with record-breaking that has been a sham at all levels, Hansen has no regrets about taking 2009 away from the pool.

Hansen has been working diligently with PureSport, the upstart energy drink company of which he is a partner. He's also watched swimming change drastically, and in a sad way. The sport to which he has dedicated the majority of his life is a mess. It is dominated not by sheer talent, but by a wardrobe nightmare that has blurred the line between skill and technological support and has allowed mid-level performers to compete alongside the best of the best.

The recent World Championships in Rome, of course, provided the perfect illustration of how muddled swimming has become. While setting a world record was once a special feat, there were 43 global marks set during the eight-day competition at the outdoor Foro Italico, which would have been a more fitting venue had it been covered by a circus tent.

"I watched zero of it," said Hansen, who was the two-time defending world champion in the 100 breaststroke. "I wasn't interested because of the suit situation. You can't compare what went on there with anything that was done before, so it wasn't worth looking at. Being the hardest worker doesn't get you what it did in the past."

Allen Stark
August 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I read that with real sadness.Hansen has always been a class act and this came off as sounding petty.All the World finalists were in Jakeds or Arena's so it was a fair playing field and I'm sure all the finalists did the work to get there.If he had just focused on the "unfairness" of the WRs I'd have agreed with him.If Kitajima was in shape for Worlds and the race was in jammers I suspect he would win by at least 1/2 second and none of those guys would have been close to his WRs(or probably to Hansen's,which Kitajima broke and were set in jammers.)

Chris Stevenson
August 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
All the World finalists were in Jakeds or Arenas

That's not true, there were a few LZRs in there (and not just Phelps).

tjrpatt
August 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Wasn't Hansen wearing at LZR at the trials and Beijing. Does he really want to swim anymore? Someone told me that he didn't look like he didn't want to swim with his Trials performance. I almost totally forgot about Hansen and we came from the same age group club. Of course, I was there for 11 years and he was there for only his high school years.

Allen Stark
August 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM
That's not true, there were a few LZRs in there (and not just Phelps).

I may be remembering it wrong,but I'm pretty sure the finalists in the mens 100 BR were all in Arenas or Jakeds.

tjrpatt
August 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I may be remembering it wrong,but I'm pretty sure the finalists in the mens 100 BR were all in Arenas or Jakeds.

He probably would have worn an Arena or Jaked if he was swimming this year. Heck, I might have worn an Arena if someone gave one for free and that I could actually get one on. I wouldn't dare try a Jaked because there is no way that I am getting that one without it ripping from both ends. Those Jakeds aren't built for non-swimmer bodies, let's me real. I think that is one of the reason why B-70s are successful with Masters swimmers because swimmers with non-swimmer bodies can get into them and they are pretty durable.

Chris Stevenson
August 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Sorry, I thought you were speaking generally, not just the 100 BR.

knelson
August 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
a wardrobe nightmare that has blurred the line between skill and technological support and has allowed mid-level performers to compete alongside the best of the best.

Oh, give me a break! I'm in favor of the suit ban, but this is such a biased and unsubstantiated statement it's ridiculous.

geochuck
August 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
If and when there is a swim suit ban will there still be a use for body suits. I am mainly talking about the neck to ankle for men and women, and for the men waist to ankle. I like the compression of these suits and feel my legs do not get tired when wearing the to ankle suits.

Are these suits going to assist our swimming abilities when used as a training device. I have been told by many they make you slip through the water. I do feel different when swimming in one.

Dolphin 2
August 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Looks like the Tech Suit Bashers Club Of America (TSBCA) is rapidly enlisting new members and we pleased to roll out the welcome mat for Hansen!!! :cheerleader:
Dolphin 2

JimRude
August 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Sour grapes...

quicksilver
August 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Grapes of wrath. :)

orca1946
August 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Look at all the suits on sale NOW!!!:joker::lolup: