PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Notification

emmett
January 29th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I don't see where it is possible to get automatic notification of ALL existing and new threads. Will we have to individually subscribe to each thread?

And, perhaps of greater interest, is there a way to turn OFF automatic notification of any individuals posts??

matysekj
January 29th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Go to the following thread in the forum announcements & questions area: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?threadid=9. There are more instructions on how to subscribe to threads/forums there.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the new model of thread-based email subscription. The disadvantage is that it is more awkward to subscribe to all threads (but you can subscribe to a forum, which will subscribe you to all threads in that forum). The advantage is that it is easy to go and turn off your subscription to an individual thread that you don't want to follow without affecting your subscription to other threads in that forum. There was no way to do this in the old software.

matysekj
January 29th, 2002, 09:06 AM
In addition, you can add any individual member to your Ignore List if you choose not to read messages from that person. When viewing a thread, any messages from that person will be blank. There is a problem that was uncovered while testing this feature, however. If you are subscribed to a thread, you will still receive email notification of posts by someone who is on your Ignore List. I'm trying to find a solution to this - it's a problem in the base software package.

You can edit your Ignore list by going to the Account Info link at the top of any page.

Sally Dillon
January 29th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Hi Jim,

Regarding the feature of "ignoring" someone. Can I assume that a person has to post a message and once they have done that, you can go through the process of "ignoring" them?

matysekj
January 29th, 2002, 02:45 PM
You can add any registered member to your Ignore List. You only need to know their member name. There's a link to the members list on the Edit Ignore List (http://forums.usms.org/member2.php?action=viewlist&userlist=ignore) page in your Account Info (http://forums.usms.org/usercp.php).

Tom Ellison
January 30th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Wow, this ignore feature will get some serious use...
Tom Ellison

MetroSwim
January 30th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Yes, I think it will even let me ignore my own frivolous (sp?)anonymous posts. Hmmm...

Hey Jim, it will let us block any and all "anonymous" posts, right?

Do we have a global option to ignore ALL anonymous posts, event if they sign a name to it (i.e., no profile or return e-mail address provided when posting)?:confused:

matysekj
January 30th, 2002, 10:03 AM
It will automatically block all "anonymous" posts because there is no such thing any more :D. You must be a registered user to post in these forums.

Tom Ellison
January 30th, 2002, 02:56 PM
I got the impression in recent posts that many of the anonymous postings were simply there to stir up a bunch of nonsense. Often I felt they hid behind anonymity to get their jabs in or to create an environment of hostility.
With respect to the issue of the pool being to short in the N. West recently, I felt many of the anonymous posts on that thread were mean spirited and damaging. I am very glad to see this change and I applaud the administrator and managers of this forum for their hard work and efforts. A job well done folks!:D

old dog
May 10th, 2004, 07:25 PM
what goes around comes around.........

laineybug
May 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
But will the ignore feature allow us to ignore all of Tom's alter egos?

It will, no it won't, will, won't

Just Joking Tom, anyone who would ignore you is the crazy one.

Lainey

Scansy
May 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
There aren't enough ignore buttons on all of the forums on all of the web pages in the world combined to ignore all of Tom's alter egos.:D

Just kidding Tom.

Am not, am too, am not, am too

gull
May 11th, 2004, 08:10 AM
I guess it's possible that one of Tom's alter egos could be banned from the forum but the others still allowed to post. Perhaps an administrator could clarify this for us.

mattson
May 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM
More likely, Tom would put one of his alter egos on his ignore list. :D

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Ralph made me post that stuff.....

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I did not....

Tom Ellison
May 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.
E. B. White

Let's not kill the frog.....even if Ralph wants to....