PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in a longer pool

Belle vie
August 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hello all, Summer is almost over so I will soon have to leave my own pool of 11 meters and go to a public pool of 25 meters. How do I adjust my workout for the greater distance.

I now swim 1 1/2 hours with a slow breast stroke as a warm up then a faster breast stroke for 30 min. ending with a 30 min. crawl followed by a cool down.

I have swum in a 25 meter pools all my life on and off but never for 1 1/2 hours. I was very slow and condemned to the "geriatric" lane :). Now I am faster in my own pool but do not know what to expect at 25 meters.

Thank-you, Elizabeth

Alexander Hughes
August 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
In a longer pool you're going to have to have a little bit more endurance to swim for the same amount of time. In a longer pool you will have more leftover distance to swim after your streamline, or pushoff from the wall.

Like anything else you transition to in life I suggest taking it slow. There are walls you can rest on if you get winded and there's nothing wrong with taking breaks. After a couple weeks of swimming in the 25m pool you should be pretty comfortable in it.

From my own personal experience moving from my apartment complex's pool to a 25y by 50m pool I was pretty winded for a week. After 3 or 4 months of swimming in the 25y distance I can't stand trying to swim laps in a smaller pool.

If you're a registered USMS member you can take a look at some of the workouts that are posted in the Workouts section.

geochuck
August 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
If you are faster in your little pool you will certainly be faster in a longer pool.

Hello all, Summer is almost over so I will soon have to leave my own pool of 11 meters and go to a public pool of 25 meters. How do I adjust my workout for the greater distance.

I now swim 1 1/2 hours with a slow breast stroke as a warm up then a faster breast stroke for 30 min. ending with a 30 min. crawl followed by a cool down.

I have swum in a 25 meter pools all my life on and off but never for 1 1/2 hours. I was very slow and condemned to the "geriatric" lane :). Now I am faster in my own pool but do not know what to expect at 25 meters.

Thank-you, Elizabeth

hofffam
August 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM

Thank-you, Elizabeth

I think you will find the longer pool more tiring to swim in because you must swim 25 meters non-stop before turning. You will have far fewer walls to hang on to and catch your breath or rest. This may be more noticable in crawl where breathing is typically more work.

It will be very good for you though because the longer pool is more demanding. I would not be surprised if at first 1 1/4 hours feels like the 1 1/2 hours you swim in the shorter pool.

Belle vie
September 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thank-you, all. Now I will know what to expect and not be discouraged. I'll just need to keep going and keep at it.

Another point, the pace in a public pool is never your own so it can be difficult to compare what I do at home and what I do in a public pool. I have a few warm days left and then I'll see what happens. Thank-you , again.

Elizabeth