PDA

View Full Version : first swim club ever

crozen
August 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, my names Jonathan.
So the other day I read an article about the advantages of swimming and so lately ive been giving serious thought about joining the swimming club at my school. The only problem is, I've only ever swam when i was training for my lifeguard test and so I'm not really very proficient with my technique. which leads me to the question, should I train first alone so that when i dont seem completely terrible when i go for the placement swim tomorrow, or should i just show up tomorrow? any advice at all would be great, thanks!

Rykno
August 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM
better to just show up and swim. I am sure that if you develop faster than the rest in your group they can move you up as need be. but better to get into a group with extra help and develop faster than to be put into a faster group and not get the technical help you need.

I moved around alot and the only time I ever had a "try out" was when I started at Curl-Burke in 1991. I was asked to swim a 200 IM. I was told there was no reason to swim fast, they were just looking at my stroke technic. but i was 16 and felt I had to swim fast to show them I could ;-)

orca1946
August 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Go swim, what could you lose ?

Alexander Hughes
August 31st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hey guys, my names Jonathan.
So the other day I read an article about the advantages of swimming and so lately ive been giving serious thought about joining the swimming club at my school. The only problem is, I've only ever swam when i was training for my lifeguard test and so I'm not really very proficient with my technique. which leads me to the question, should I train first alone so that when i dont seem completely terrible when i go for the placement swim tomorrow, or should i just show up tomorrow? any advice at all would be great, thanks!

If you have access to the pool today, show up and take a look around. Get familiar with the facility, locker rooms, and where water fountains are. You may want to also go for a short relaxing swim to get used to the markings in the pool.

Then tomorrow, show up and do your thing. Everyone develops at different rates. Some people can be the worst swimmer around one day, and 3 months later they're in the top 10% of their swimming group. Coaches will adjust your training and lane placement based on your ability so as you get better the workouts will get harder.

hofffam
August 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Crozen - how old are you? When you say join the swimming club at school do you mean the high school swim team? Or is this a "club sport" instead of a "varsity sport?"

If it is the swim team - we don't know how competitive the team is and what level of swimming is required to join the team. If they need experienced swimmers you might not make the team but so what? Try it and find out.

If it is a club sport - then just show up and tell them you really want to get better.