PDA

View Full Version : Hotel recommendations for LA and San Diego?

debwp
July 1st, 2003, 01:59 PM
My husband and I will be traveling to Los Angeles and San Diego in a couple of weeks, and we're looking for hotel recommendations with decent-sized pools. I've also started researching public pools (YMCA's, health clubs, etc.), but thought it would be nice to have a pool right at the hotel.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Deb

pinkflamingo
July 8th, 2003, 03:31 AM
There is a hotel in Redondo Beach (about 5-6 miles south of LAX), the Royal Plaza or Crown Royal or Crown Plaza (can't remember) that has a roof top larger pool, think it is 25 yards. (Its been about 8 years since I swam there, and I only went there a few times, but I remember it was nice and the pool wasn't very crowded in the summer.) You should be able to find it by doing a websearch. It is across the street from the saltwater lagoon in Redondo, and the hotel has great gym facilities. It is right near the redondo pier and harbor and a fun area to visit.

For public pools, try El Segundo (25 yard indoor, safe area), Torrance (50x20 meter outdoor, safe area), Culver City (50 m outdoor), and maybe the Long Beach pools (variety of sizes, indoor and out, including pool built for some of the 1984 olympic events, but check areas first (I'm not familiar with all the LB pools)). Most of the public/city-owned pools here will cost you $2-3 to swim (YMCAs and gyms are much more expensive). I suggest avoiding Hawthorne, Gardena and LA City pools (should know/check areas before visiting). One problem with city pools in summer is the added recreation swim for kids and the reduced lap swimming for adults.

You should be able to find city-owned pool info on the web, at various city websites.

Enjoy your trip!

beireland
July 11th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Check the Swimmers Guide on-Line for more information.

Beckie
July 11th, 2003, 03:35 PM
I used to live in San Diego, and I visited the Hotel Del Coronado many times (it's so beautiful).

There is a lap pool there, and it's gorgeous.

It's on Coronado Island right in the heart of Downtown San Diego. Even if you don't swim there, you have to check out the hotel. It's so pretty! Marilyn Monroe filmed a movie there.

Take care,
Have fun
Beckie

Matt S
July 14th, 2003, 05:55 PM
And if you are staying in Coronado, try making contact with the Coronado Masters Swim team. They swim in the Coronado Municipal Pool, which is on the other side of the street, and about an eighth of a mile south. It's a beautiful 50m outdoor pool (year-round!). They workout M, W, F about 6 pm'ish. (If you go on Tu or Th, Different Strokes Swim Team has the pool.) In the summer on Fri eve's, they have a significant portion of the team swim in the ocean along the Coronado Municipal Beach (voted by the Travel Channel as the #1 beach in all of California!), which is right adjacent to the Hotel Del.

Matt

JTee
July 16th, 2003, 10:42 PM
I went to San Diego on a business trip last month (June) and stayed in La Jolla at the Best Western Inn by The Sea. It's not really right on the shore, but a couple of blocks back. It had a dinky pool that I completely avoided, but it was in easy walking distance to the La Jolla Cove where I had a great swim (bring a wet suit). It was great, although it would take me a while to get used to swimming over the kelp.

There are also lots of good restuarants within walking distance. There's a great path along the shore where I ran. A Denny's next door for breakfast and a Starbucks across the street.

clyde hedlund
August 6th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Check out the Belage in w.LA. Decent size pool and water unheated. clyde

Tom McCabe
August 6th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Surrounded by 650 acres of private grounds, the Pacific Palms Conference Resort offers one of the most complete meeting and recreational facilities on the West Coast. It's been called Southern California's Sports Headquarters," a place where business and recreation mix.

This complex was once a land fill area, The reclamation project was named the Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement of 1981 by the American Society of Civil Engineering. It also won a Los Angeles Beautiful Award in 1982.

Recreation facilities include two 18-hole championship golf courses, 17 lighted tennis Courts, an aquatic center with an Olympic size competition swimming pool, and an equestrian center with stables, riding and rodeo rings and some 15 miles of riding trails.

Slow Lane
August 7th, 2003, 12:23 AM
The Santa Monica Swim Center is very nice. 50 meter pool. It's a little over 1 year old.

Tom McCabe
August 7th, 2003, 06:09 PM
The hotel I referred to says Olympic Size Pool. It is a 50 meter pool and the is another 25 yard pool. The also have a masters team and coach there, or did years ago.

Good luck!

cinc3100
August 8th, 2003, 01:45 AM
I swam in the Torrance pool years ago but they probably have redesigned it. And the Gardena pool, the Y now has it from what I learn on the internet. The East Los Angeles Community College pool was the best short course pool in the LA area better than Belmont Shores Long Course pool but probably because its now in the Barrio, very few meets are held there. They once had the Pac-10's there and the Nationals. And yes, there are a lot of kids at the LA pools and someone of them are located in the Barrio. Not putting them down but I doubt many master swimmers would swim in them. I think its unfortunate in the case of East LA, they rarely use it for meets but probably a lot of upper-middle people don't want their kids to swim where its located.

cinc3100
August 8th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Most of these pools mention are private ones either Large Hotels or private Country clubs. Now where I used to live in Southern California, the newest 50 meter pool built in the 1970's was a private country club. The public pool was built in 1966. Just prove that private money can sometimes help us when the city or colleges don't have the cash.

tjburk
August 8th, 2003, 08:57 AM
The East LA City pool was a good fast pool! CIF Championships were done there every year when I grew up out there. You can usually find a pool within a stones throw in So Cal! Have a nice trip!

Slow Lane
August 8th, 2003, 03:49 PM
The Santa Monica Swim Center is a public pool.

cinc3100
August 8th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Santa Monica pool is one of the public's. But from what I heard it took a number of years to fit it up. It was replaced by an old 33 1/3 yard 1950's area pool and the old one had a huge crack from an Earthquake. Another swim area fit up was the Janet Evan's swim complex in Fullerton. This is now the only public 50 meter pool in Northern Orange County, even though there are some in nearby LA County. But because Janet swam there it didn't get the ax like the old Brea and Anaheim or Santa Ana 50 meter pools did.

DarrellBray
December 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
I used to live in San Diego, and I visited the Hotel Del Coronado many times (it's so beautiful).

There is a lap pool there, and it's gorgeous.

It's on Coronado Island right in the heart of Downtown San Diego. Even if you don't swim there, you have to check out the hotel. It's so pretty! Marilyn Monroe filmed a movie there.

Take care,
Have fun
Beckie

Seconding this - Coronado is a great place to stay in general too.

Assoc.
Hotel Del (http://www.san-diego-hotels-resorts.com/hotel-del-coronado.php) ~ Hard Rock San Diego (http://sandiego.nyctourist.com/hard-rock-hotel-san-diego.php)

pwb
December 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
San Diego has a number of great Masters' programs, two of which I trained with are:

UCSD (http://recreation.ucsd.edu/mstr/): top-notch program and one of the most beautiful outdoor pool (two 50 meter pools) facilities in which I've ever swum
Mission Valley YMCA (http://www.missionvalley.ymca.org/programs/aquatics-programs/aquatics/masters-swim.html): nice pool, convenient to downtown, good group of people

As for staying in San Diego, my preference is to rent a condo via VRBO.com in the Mission Beach area. It's funky, lots of decently-priced unique places to eat and beach front.

I don't know LA.