PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Fraser still kicking it ...

pwb
August 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Dawn-Fraser-71-year-old-Olympic-champ-fights-o?urn=oly,186159

Now, wouldn't it be great if she showed up at a Masters World Champs someday? Just don't piss her off. :)

Betsy
August 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Dawn swam in USMS LC Nationals in 1987 (I think). She was there to publicize Worlds in Australia in 1988. She was not at her competitive best but swam anyway and was a good sport about it all.

Allen Stark
August 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM
In pictures of her with the other Aussie Olympians,she had bigger arms than most of the guys.I wouldn't want to mess with her.

geochuck
August 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
She was actually a great person. I knew her well. She swam in the 1956 Olympics and 1958 BE&CW games when I was there. The first time I met her we had an ice cream cone together at a small shop in Melbourne. The smallest scoops of ice cream I ever saw. We also had a milk shake together at the same shop, One tiny scoop in a large glass of milk. I was also with her when I had my first cup of espresso coffee. We were not daters just friends, she was interested in a USA Basketball Player and got in trouble for breaking curfew.

One of the Aussie breaststroke swimmers on those teams was a model, she was the one I took out to a movie.

Maui Mike
August 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
"After the man attempted to subdue her, Fraser battled back with a vengeance.
"This guy came out of the gate and grabbed me and I grabbed him by the ear and I kicked him in the groin," Fraser told several Australian television stations."

("groin" is Australian for "nuts")

jonblank
September 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
What does "ear" mean in Australian?

geochuck
September 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
I do not think it is anything obscene??? But you never know.

What does "ear" mean in Australian?

TRYM_Swimmer
September 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
She was the face of Australian Masters from the beginning. Met her at the first ever Australian Masters Meet in late March, '74. She only swam a fifty, but the newshounds were all over her. Along with the 40 or so Yanks that showed up, it was a good publicity start for their program. Have a picture somewhere. Will have to check the arms on that one.