PDA

View Full Version : New to Masters

Sharonb
September 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say, I am new to Masters swimming. Swam for many years competitively in Florida, and now getting back into it. It is amazing how it all comes back to you after you have gone to several practices. Looking forward to getting up on the blocks again, but probably going to take it slow and measured and only compete when I am 100% ready.

It feels great to be in the water again and I am excited to be a part of your community!

XO

Sharon

otterman
September 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome!

I myself have just started swimming again after taking a short 20 year break. I now regret taking so much time off but having a new Y pool started me up again. It gives me something to look forward to for those 4 nights a week and with both of my kids swimming, it truly makes it a family sport.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
September 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sharon and Otterman...
Can I just let you know how much I love coaching and swimming along side new and returning swimmers like you both?

So much has changed in the sport with the stroke technique and training philosophy. There are zillions of ways to improve every time you swim.

I hope you can attach with a USMS coached club and or swimmers to train with during your comeback. It sure helps.

But most anything you ever wanted to know about masters swimming/training is on this forum.
If you can't find the answer in the "Search", just ask!

Take your time, but be consistent.
And have some fun with it.

Donna
September 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Welcome back to swimming! I was out for 22 years and the last 5 years have been great from my health, weight loss and my life. You will also make many friends with an interest in swimming.

Most of all have fun!

Sharonb
September 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your comments - yes, I am attached to a team here in FL. The coach is wonderful...really nice lady...which is VERY strange for me because when I trained earlier, all of my coaches were men and quite the opposite. Always yelling at me to "bend my elbows", etc...:afraid:
The toughest thing i've found is endurance. Whenever we do a long set (our coach like to do 6-9 sets of 150s pulling short course), I find myself not able to be as strong as when I was younger (36 now). But the sprinting and the fast test sets seem to be easier. Also, I was a state-ranked butterfly swimmer and went to zones, etc...Now, I can barely do a 100. Still, it pushes me to work harder. Would really like to attend the Rowdy Gaines Masters Meet in Orlando so, we shall see.

Sharon

orca1946
September 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Do what you can & enjoy our sport again ! Good luck & have fun !

TRYM_Swimmer
September 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Welcome! Let us know how you are progressing.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
September 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your comments - yes, I am attached to a team here in FL. The coach is wonderful...really nice lady...which is VERY strange for me because when I trained earlier, all of my coaches were men and quite the opposite. Always yelling at me to "bend my elbows", etc...:afraid:
Sharon

Yes... you will find that women swim coaches ROCK!
:)