PDA

View Full Version : Sore Teeth?

SueM
September 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
My 8 yr old swims 5x's week, for average 1 1/2 hrs a time. Recently he's been getting out of the pool complaining of really sore back teeth - so much so he's not eating for a few hours after until they settle down. Any ideas what's causing this? What can I do about it more importantly?

hnatkin
September 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
take him to the dentist

orca1946
September 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I agree, nothing that I know tells me about teeth & swimming.

bigirishape
September 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Is he clenching his teeth at all?

jessicafk11
September 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I agree, sounds like he may be clenching. The dentist should be Able to tell and give you advise as to how to prevent it.

Chlorine
September 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I would take him for a check up at the doctors. It could be an ear or throat infection starting up. Sometimes the ache can feel as if it's originating from the back of the jaw.

__steve__
September 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
On 100% all out efforts when I'm already spent my teeth hurt. But this with cycling or running too and only happens during effort, not afterwards.

How cold is the water?

SueM
September 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
thanks for the replies - we've seen the dentist who is unable to explain - said it may be the chlorine level in the pool on the enamel possibly??
It's predominantly his back teeth, starts hurting about 1/2 way through training, and lasts a few hours. Took him for his fav dinner after training the other night and he had 2 bites and couldn't eat any more for sore teeth so we know he's not faking it!!

hnatkin
September 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
If it's the chlorine/ph level, his front teeth should be yellowing. Ask around and see if the other kids have yellowing as well. If he's grinding his teeth, the dentist should be able to id wear patterns on his molars. Any of the other kids having this problem?

jmkregor
September 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'd take your son to his primary care doctor/ nurse practitioner. He could have referred pain from eustachian tube dysfunction that gets "jazzed up" when he gets in the water after he swims awhile. It could be caused by allergy, infection, or "mechanical" issues with the pressure in the middle ear (like when a person's ears hurts on a plane). He might do well with an antihistamine, decongestant, or antibiotic if he has an infection. If his primary doctor can't solve the trouble, consider seeing an ENT doctor. And I agree also, double check with the dentist that he carefully checked his bite (not only for tooth decay or infection). Sorry for the long answer, but I love swimming, and I hate tooth pain and ear aches, and I feel for your son. (I retired from practicing pediatrics.) Good luck.

jennifer
September 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sinus issues can also cause teeth to hurt. Especially the top back ones. You can rule that out pretty quickly, by having him stand on his toes and drop down suddenly. If that hurts him, he might be snorting too much pool or getting sick.

jmkregor
October 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
How's your son doing? Pain better? I hope he's back in the swim!