PDA

View Full Version : just following up

crozen
September 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hey for you guys that replied to my thread last week, i really appreciate it, you guys really helped out. I ended up going to the club swim to find out that theyre actually pretty lax. theres no forms to fill out, you just pretty much show up when you want to. The problem is they dont have coaches either, they have a hand full of really good swimmers though. My problem now is, today i went to swim with my schools triathalon club because fridays they get a coach to supervise, and pretty much i had a big wake up call on how badly i needed to work on my stroke. I'm going to research a bit online, it's just, im a bit discouraged cause it really sucked my first week in the club swimming sport because pretty much everyone there swam high school varsity or college. Even in the very last lane i found myself getting in peoples way a lot and having to stop each time i got to the other end of the pool to let everyone pass me, and it was pretty embarrassing. I really want to get better though i just dont know what direction to take. I dont want to keep going to club swimming and swim the 4000 or whatever meters or yards that swim with the wrong technique and get like muscle memory, i want to do this right mainly because i really want to get in shape. I know this is getting kind of long so ill just end it here but if any of you who are still reading this can help me out i would REALLY appreciate some guidance. thanks again guys.

oh and i almost forgot, the first day in the club swim the main dude there told me that you know he'd help me out to just message him on facebook and i did, and the next day he pretty much told me that he read the message and just didnt feel like replying, and since tuesday i havent heard back from him. So it's attitudes like that, thats making it hard for me to feel comfortable asking for help.

isobel
September 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I didn't read your first post, but here are my suggestions: take swimming lessons if you can, and at the same time, keep swimming in the lane where you were swimming, letting people know you know you are slower and will get out of their way, but that you want to swim with people.

You will get better. But I'd say it sounds like you need some swim lessons to help you with all the stroke stuff.

Everyone is always learning, anyway. It never ends. As long as you don't interfere with other people's workouts, it seems like you should be able to swim the club workouts. But if you really are lagging and messing up the whole lane's rhythm because of a significant difference in ability, you might want to boost your endurance and technique first, drop the swim club group, and then rejoin when your endurance and technique have improved.

crozen
September 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
well i dont get in the way that much, is mainly an ego thing, its embarrassing getting lapped over and over again :/. and do you think that like watching youtube videos and stuff will help?

Alexander Hughes
September 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM
In practice you'll be swimming freestyle the majority of the time. Learning correctly early is the best thing for you.

There are two parts of learning swimming: practice, and feedback. Ideally you should be able to swim supervised as frequently as possible, and the person watching you should be able to give you feedback at the end of a set, or at the end of the workout.

I suggest watching some videos on youtube, from the "how to swim" type of video, up to the underwater views of Olympic events and everything in between.

When you first start swimming, you are going to be slow. I've been swimming all my life, and it wasn't until high school that I realized I was swimming completely wrong. My first day of swim practice was my sophomore year of high school, and we did a 500 yard for time. I completed it in 9:58.

At the end of the season on our last meet I did the 500 again, 6:46. During practice I couldn't keep up at first, but after 2 or 3 months of swimming 5 days a week (3 days were also 2-a-days) I could keep up with the middle-upper swimmers in practice. Just keep at it, it takes time but it will come.

As for the college triathlon practice, I was swimming my own workout a few days ago when my college was doing their own triathlon swimming practice. I was pretty amused with myself that I was swimming faster than all of their swimmers. Chances are if you dedicate yourself to swimming as often as you can with a coach, you'll be smoking your triathlon swimmers in no time. For big gains you need to be swimming 5-6 days a week. 3 days a week will help you improve, but not as quickly.

notsofast
September 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I'm self-taught. You'll learn much faster if you take lessons.
That said, here are sites I used:
www.goswim.tv - This site contains lots of short, high quality videos of swimmers and drills. It also sells a variety of DVDs.
http://www.h2oustonswims.org/ - No videos, but some good descriptions of what should be going on when you are swimming.
Also, I think you should look at Mr. Smooth on the following site: http://swimsmooth.com/ - I only found it a couple of weeks ago, but the video shows you a sound stroke without splash and bubbles, so it's easy to see what's going on. The site also has a beginner section that may be helpful.
Finally, if you post a video of yourself here, you'll get lots of free help.

qbrain
September 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
well i dont get in the way that much, is mainly an ego thing, its embarrassing getting lapped over and over again :/. and do you think that like watching youtube videos and stuff will help?

You have to start somewhere crozen, and sucking in the slow lane is usually where all swimmers start. Yeah, it sucks that you didn't put in your time when you were 6 like some people did but everyone has gone through this stage and will tolerate your attempts too, as long as your are working at it and improving.

Technique is important, but endurance sounds like your biggest problem right now. Focus on doing a little more in each practice until you can keep up with your lane.

All the good swimmers are still working on their technique, so there is no rush to learn everything RIGHT NOW. Just work on constantly improving your stroke, and quit worrying about how bad your technique is overall.

orca1946
September 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Do you know any swimmers that will give you some basic help ?

crozen
September 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
thanks again for all you guys posts this is all good stuff. I'm trying to find people to ask but i dont know how to approach it, i mean most of the guys that swim are students so im sure theyre busy with work/school and whatever else, so what im going to try and do is show up for these coached swimming that they have at my school twice a week and also, can you guys give me some kind of bare bone skeletal, if you will, routine or drills that i can work on that will help with my kicking/arms and all that ?

pwolf66
September 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Crozen,

Find someone with a decent camera that can take video. Have them video your swimming from at least head on and from the side. Try and have them capture a full length and include the turn. Swim each stroke at varying speeds, slow and controlled, moderate and sprint. Also try to get video of you just kicking, preferably in streamline without a board or fins. Make sure that you swim with your typical technique, don't try to pretty it up for the camera.

Post it on youtube and link it in this post. That will give you the best chance to get guidance based upon your current technique.

There are a ton of drills out there and they can all benefit you in some way but drills are meant to try and correct/reinforce certain faults and a lot of drills, if done repeatedly can create undesired changes in an existing stroke that is not currently experiencing that specific fault.

crozen
September 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
alright ill do that tomorrow and ill have it up sometime in the afternoon

orca1946
September 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Glad you stopped by to ask for info. I hope this forum will get you going.