PDA

View Full Version : US Swimming Registration Question

qbrain
September 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I have a question on my registration form "Are you a member of another FINA Federation?"

Is USMS a FINA Federation, or is the US the FINA Federation?

Google has failed me, so I had to turn to online friends.

pwolf66
September 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
That question is referring to being a member of a different federation that competes at the same level.

So for USA swimming, if you were registered with another age-group level (non-Masters) federation, say Australian Swimming, then you would answer yes.

qbrain
September 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks Paul, I am now one step closer to getting my ass whooped by a 150lb 15yo boy.

SwimTotoSwim
September 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
US Aquatic Sport which includes US Masters Swimming, US Swimming, US Diving, US Water Polo and US Syncho Swimming is the parent organization that is the FINA member.

As previously mentioned, you can belong to both US Master Swimming and US Swimming, as well as US Water Polo, US Syncho Swimming and US Diving and still only belong to one FINA federation member.

We do have USMS members who live in other countries - I suspect mostly Canadians, who find it more convenient to attend US Masters Swimming events; but choose not to belong to Canadian Masters Swimming.

Best of luck with your US Swimming ventures (swimming with 15 year olds), and we encourage you to also be a member of US Masters Swimming to participate with the 18+ generations.

Anthony Thompson, US Masters BOD Breadbasket Director
swimtotoswim@msn.com
Missouri Valley ( MOVY) Masters

pwolf66
September 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks Paul, I am now one step closer to getting my ass whooped by a 150lb 15yo boy.

Just think of those 12yos that you can crush :angel:

I live to hear the comment 'dude, you just got beat by a guy older than your DAD'

that right there is a special moment.

qbrain
September 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Best of luck with your US Swimming ventures (swimming with 15 year olds), and we encourage you to also be a member of US Masters Swimming to participate with the 18+ generations.

Are you crazy? And let people old enough to be my father (like pwolf66) beat me? I think sticking to USAS swimming where I have an age excuse is the best route for my fragile ego. But thanks for the suggestion.

pwolf66
September 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Are you crazy? And let people old enough to be my father (like pwolf66) beat me? I think sticking to USAS swimming where I have an age excuse is the best route for my fragile ego. But thanks for the suggestion.

Excuses? Bah. Get in and swim.

Hmm, I would have had to have been 9 at your conception. I....don't.....think......so......

hornHead
September 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
We do have USMS members who live in other countries - I suspect mostly Canadians, who find it more convenient to attend US Masters Swimming events; but choose not to belong to Canadian Masters Swimming.

STtS

Your suspicions are just a shade off the mark. There are Canadian USMS members, permanently residing in Canada, who are members of MSC. The ONLY purpose for this is for USMS clubs to set USMS and World Records. Whether this flies in the face of what is fair is up for debate. Perhaps foreign USMS members not residing in a LMSC area should be required to register as unattached?

qbrain
September 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Excuses? Bah. Get in and swim.

Puhleeze, you know I am going to compete in USMS meets just so you can find my, slightly faster than yours, 200 free times easily.

orca1946
September 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Just USMS for me so far.

tjrpatt
September 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just USMS for me so far.

That is the way to go. I waited until I was close to making the QTs for my Local Senior Champs. Now, I can do most of the meets with QTs. Also, I like the idea of doing meets with finals. They are superfun! Words of advice, if you have to do A/BB/C/CCC meets, do the ones with 13-14/Senior Sessions. Never do a 10 and under/Senior session.

nkfrench
September 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
qbrain, when registering in the North Texas LSC you can ask Karen Rourke (NT LSC registrar) but the answer is "no". If you say "yes", there is some additional paperwork since you can not be a registered member of two NGBs that select swimmers to represent their country at the Olympics/World Champs. USMS does not select swimmers to represent the USA at the Olympics so it does not "count". Technically you would have to swim unattached for USAS 120 days if you are transferring from a FINA NGB team; again, USMS or other FINA Masters organizations don't matter for USAS.

Clarification: NGB = National Governing Body

qbrain
September 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
qbrain, when registering in the North Texas LSC you can ask Karen Rourke (NT LSC registrar) but the answer is "no". If you say "yes", there is some additional paperwork since you can not be a registered member of two NGBs that select swimmers to represent their country at the Olympics/World Champs. USMS does not select swimmers to represent the USA at the Olympics so it does not "count". Technically you would have to swim unattached for USAS 120 days if you are transferring from a FINA NGB team; again, USMS or other FINA Masters organizations don't matter for USAS.

Jeez Nancy, point out the obvious. I really should have emailed Karen :blush:

Thanks

ALM
September 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Your suspicions are just a shade off the mark. There are Canadian USMS members, permanently residing in Canada, who are members of MSC. The ONLY purpose for this is for USMS clubs to set USMS and World Records. Whether this flies in the face of what is fair is up for debate. Perhaps foreign USMS members not residing in a LMSC area should be required to register as unattached?

USMS allows its members to belong to other Masters NGBs. But a lot of the Masters NGBs in other countries don't allow their members to belong to more than one organization. I could be dreaming but I swear that I remember Masters Swimming Canada being one of the NGBs that doesn't allow its members to belong to any other Masters swimming organization. I don't know whether I heard this at the USMS convention, or at a Canadian meet I attended.

I just looked for the MSC rule book online but I could only find Part 2 (the part that applies to swim meets).