PDA

View Full Version : Spitting

swimagain
September 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I've searched a fair bit, excuse me if it's been answered but...I've always had a problem with excessive mucus when swimming. Once I get up to a certain level of exertion, it just flows. I've always felt a little bad about spitting in the gutters, but I can't really help it unless I interrupt my workout. If it matters, I've never once done so in the open pool. Is this terrible and disgusting? My assumption has always been that a certain level of filtration happens between these gutters and the water inlets.

Thanks!

__steve__
September 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Get out of the pool and expel your stuff on dryland or bathroom. Chlorine will only kill surface microbes, filters can't filter everything, and swimming in a pool of pathogens that still survive chemical treatment is a good way to spread disease.

I had this problem all summer long when I was swimming 500's or 1000's for fitness. It would start at about the 400M point. Weird thing is I don't have this problem at all with my current swim workouts (i.e., 50M sprint's on 1:00 to 3:00 time intervals, 100 and 200M time-trials, flip turn drills, head-up freestyle drills). I also started running a month ago in preparation for my military fit test this weekend, maybe that might also have something to do with the lack of phlegm.

One gross thing to consider, do not think anyone will notice accidental underwater phlegm expellation either. Another swimmer once informed me about a long persistant mucoid string trailing behind near my feet still attached to the corner of my mouth. I didn't believe then I looked.

Dolphin 2
September 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I've searched a fair bit, excuse me if it's been answered but...I've always had a problem with excessive mucus when swimming. Once I get up to a certain level of exertion, it just flows. I've always felt a little bad about spitting in the gutters, but I can't really help it unless I interrupt my workout. If it matters, I've never once done so in the open pool. Is this terrible and disgusting? My assumption has always been that a certain level of filtration happens between these gutters and the water inlets.

Thanks!

Seriously, when you're swimming have you tried using a nose clip and just breath through your mouth? :cool:

Dolphin 2

stillwater
September 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Spit your goop in the gutter. Be discreet, gutters echo and transfer sounds around the arena.

It's cool, most swimmers get rid of the build-up at some point.

Buy a beer to those that bust you.

If you witness/hear a swimmer performing the discharge, don't watch/listen. Be cool when you ask for them to pony up a beer.

Swimming ettiquette provided by stillwater

Speedo
September 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Seriously, when you're swimming have you tried using a nose clip and just breath through your mouth? :cool:

Dolphin 2
I think that's a PED :bolt:

Dolphin 2
September 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Actually as gross as this topic seems, swimming is in fact a very safe activity as far as exposure to pathogens is concerned.

If properly maintained (and people use common sense regarding personal hygiene), a pool or a hot tub is one of the most germ free environments you can be in.

Think of it this way: When you’re submerged in pool water, you’re completely surrounded by a disinfecting barrier that isolates you (and others) from exchanging live germs. Compare the highly purified water of a pool with being on a bus, a plane, or in an office where people are constantly exhaling (and atomizing) oral and nasal fluids into unfiltered and undisinfected air.

As I mentioned in my previous post, a nose clip will block the upper respiratory tract and that should solve your problem.

Dolphin 2

jessicafk11
September 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have to cast my vote for NOT spitting in the pool, whether it is the gutters or elsewhere. Chlorine and filtration cannot take care of all germs and just because you don't have symptoms doesn't mean you aren't contagious. You could be carrying something and when you find yourself sick days later it is too late to take back what you left in the pool. If you don't want to get out perhaps you should bring something with you that you can spit into and then either throw out or wash out.

__steve__
September 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Bottom line, your at the hand of the pool maintainers. Bacteria, protazoa, and viruses still live for some time even in a well maintained pool.

As far as spitting (Wikipedia)

"Non-fecal human shedding (e.g., from mucus, saliva, skin) in the swimming pool, spa or similar recreational-water environments is a source of potential non-enteric pathogenic organisms. Mucus, saliva and skin of infected users can directly contaminate pool or spa waters and the surfaces of objects or materials at a facility with sufficient numbers of primary pathogens (notably viruses or fungi), which can consequently lead to infections in other swimmers who come in contact with the contaminated water or surfaces."

Sandy Yaygo
September 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Go ahead and blast away. The urine in the pool is sterile, so that will help.
And besides, mucous doesn't form until you are getting well.

The amount of time it takes to get the loogey from the gutter back into the pool is sufficient to break it down and dissolve most of the AIDS or HANTA virus you were worried about.

I'm not a doctor, but play one on the discussion forums.

notsofast
September 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hygenic debate aside, it is just bad manners to spit. You're not going to make anyone sick if you spit on the floor at work, but I bet you don't do it.

Why not take an old towel or washcloth poolside and spit into that? Then you can rinse that out in the shower or bring it home and toss it into the laundry.

orca1946
September 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I use the gutters & splash some water to rinse it down faster. How about the parents that wear their shoes onto the pool deck to watch the kids at swim lessons? They bring in a lot of dirt & stuff from outside that end up in the pool !!

__steve__
September 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
The urine in the pool is sterile, so that will help.

Urine by the way, which is sterile (unless your sick) creates toxic gas upon chlor/bromination.

swimagain
September 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses.

I've considered bringing some sort of container poolside, but the thought of seeing someone fill a container kinda seems even worse, to me at least. (I realize visual revulsion is probably better than potential physical contact...)

I've never liked using a nose clip, does that really work to stop stuff from building up in the throat?