PDA

View Full Version : need some swimming help

crozen
September 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
So i'm glad to say that im finally improving, I've been getting a lot of help from people in the swim club and I was just wondering if you guys can give me tips on my kicking. For some reason I can't do more then like, 100 kick without my legs being dead tired. When we do the drills at swim practice i always see everyone flying across the pool, water splashing all over the place and everyone with their heads up. where as i can't splash with my kicks unless i keep my face under water because if i don't then my hips sick and i find myself being slanted sort of like this / (not as exaggerated of course). And another thing, when we do pull drills where we just use our arms, I find that i can pretty much go forever, but when im doing regular freestyle laps, i get really tired really fast. SO obviously when im incorporating the kicks into my stroke it's really tiring me out so i dont know what to do. Lastly, on my arm stroke i find that when ever i turn to breath my elbow always drops, is there any drills that you guys can tell me to help out with these issues? thanks again everyone.

DolphinGirl
September 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Not having seen your kick, it's hard to say, but what I see a lot of is toes that aren't pointed. Basically, the foot is pointing down to the bottom of the pool. When the foot is in this position, there's a tendancy to not go anywhere. If your foot is in this position, you're working much harder and that's most likely why you're tired. Try concentrating on pointing toes.

geochuck
September 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM
When we did our water polo practices we would do a few 15 yard kicks accross the pool. We locked our hands together behind our backs and held our heads out of the water. Before you knew it you could do it easily. As we got better we would do a continueous relays 25 yards doing head up crawl with a waterpolo ball. Through in to the relay a few 25 yard kicks with hands locked behind the back.

When hands are locked behind the back they were extended as far down as you can get them at the bottom of the butt. This type of kicking also help eliminate what I call a runners kick. Dolphins description is what I call Runners kick.

pwolf66
September 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Crozen,

As someone who was where you are now, my only advice is kick more, kick more, kick more. And just because your legs are dead, doesn't mean you can't kick more. Just try to slow your kick down slightly and try to feel the water with the tops of your feet. Try to keep just your heel breaking the surface of the water.

It does get better, I'm finally doing ALL of a kick set and actually looking forward to it.

__steve__
September 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm a newby swimmer and started really kicking just over a week ago, my legs die near a good 100 too. Before, it was just a lazy 2 kick pattern, even during sprinting. I wanted to learn the stroke, get fitness, then start on my kick after to help avoid bad habitual technique. But yes, my leg's become sand bags quick. I do notice if I'm kicking wrong (feet, knee pos,etc) I loose the propulsive feeling on my feet no matter how fast. Happens when I'm loosing steam.