PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly - breathing to the side?

bamueller
September 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
When I was younger I had to swim a great deal of fly in practice. It was my stroke outside of free. Anyway, when I was lazy or tired, I began breathing to the side. Then it became a habit.

Now, 15 years later, I am swimming more fly in master's practice, not a lot, but more as conditioning improves. Sometimes I find myself wanting to breath to the side, because I am tired.

Is this bad? If so, how bad?

swimmj
September 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
It's not bad as long as your hips don't drop and you get the air you need. I know some very good flyers who side breath.

jonblank
September 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Seemed to work out OK for Melvin Stewart. Matter of fact, almost all of Franke Bell's JMY (Charlotte, NC) swimmers used side-breathing in fly. Gold-Medal Mel started his illustrious career as one of Bell's Angels.

thewookiee
September 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Seemed to work out OK for Melvin Stewart. Matter of fact, almost all of Franke Bell's JMY (Charlotte, NC) swimmers used side-breathing in fly. Gold-Medal Mel started his illustrious career as one of Bell's Angels.

Also works well for Christina Magnusen, Denis Pankratov, Frank Espisto and Robert Margallis.