PDA

View Full Version : Dietary supplements

geminidragonizer
September 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
It goes without saying that a good diet is key to good health. As a fan of fitness and dieting, I'm always interested in reading about how professionals train and what diet supplements they take post workouts and, for triathletes, what they ingest during races.

So in addition to a well balanced diet, I was wondering what dietary supplements you guys take (if any). When I was marathon training, I drank undiluted Gatorade during runs with Gu every 4 miles and drank Muscle Milk for post-workout recovery. Other people preferred drinking Accelerade, eating Powerbars or Sports Beans, etc. but they didn't seem to do it for me. Because I sweat a lot I also found out that I needed to take in a lot of salt to prevent dehydration. (Dehydration, by the way, sucks big time!)

Even though I've long put off running because of bum knees, I find that Muscle Milk still works well for post workout swims and weight training. It helps to reduce muscle fatigue - if I don't drink it I will be sore.

We all have our own preferences, so I hope this doesn't turn into a flame thread. It's just interesting to hear what you guys are using for diet supplements.

aquageek
September 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I post this just so Jazzbone and Gull can mock me. Here's my daily intake:

Two fish oil pills - to make me swim like a fish
Multi vite - because that is one they say I should take
B supplement - under $10 at costco and figure it can't do any harm
Resveratrol pill - makes lab rats live to 1.5 times normal life expectancy in huge doses
Potassium pill - my mother found a used bottle and gave it to me knowing I'd take anything, it's almost empty
Noni extract pill - no idea why I bought this but it's almost gone
Red yeast rice - the "natural" statin
42 fruits and vegetables in a pill - easier than actually eating 42 fruits and vegetables

I also take a few Endurolyte tabs (Hammer product) before I go on a run or bike and then a few more during the bike if it's a long one.

I finish most workouts with diluted gatorage except for biking which I finish with beer.

qbrain
September 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I take a multivitamin and a scoop of Endurox after working out. The Endurox because it is quick and easy, and it is consumed ASAP after working out. Endurox is nothing special, other than I like the taste and it is easily portable.

Something I learned from an ex-forumite was to drink Gatorade during meets. This helped considerably keeping me feeling well during and especially after a meet. Typically, post meet, I would wish for death because I felt so bad. Large volumes of water with no electrolytes lead to killer dehydration after most meets.

I think most supplements are a waste of money and the few I do use have cheaper natural alternatives, but lack convenience.

jessicafk11
September 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Multi vitamin
Calcium +D

I eat a lot of fruits and vegies and dairy is my friend, so I am not sure I need either but it can't hurt and it makes my doc happy!

Gatorade (undiluted) whenever I workout and sometimes before (I found that for my 3 hours of dance classes, it helps to get some in prior to class)

After a workout is usually a bar of some sort and/or chocolate milk or a soy hot chocolate (no whip, light on the chocolate) at the local starbucks I have to drive by on my way home!

I am interested to hear what works well for other people!

John C Smith
September 16th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Multivitamin
Fish Oil capsules
CoQ10
Glucosamine Chondroitin
Coffee
..... and my favorite.... Motrin

It's basically expensive urine.

John Smith

Jazz Hands
September 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've taken fish oil, multivitamins, and creatine before. Recently I haven't been using any supplements. Not dead yet.

Creatine is nice, and I have some left, but I always just forget to take it consistently.

JoeBob
September 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
In addition to a multi-vitamin, I take krill oil, natural astaxanthin, and hyaluronic acid.
I haven't had to take any Advil or one of her cousins in over a year.

I gave up Gatorade and other high-fructose corn syrup powered beverages two years ago. But I occasionally bring some Cytomax to the pool even though I am not a big fan of acesulfame potassium.
I enjoy some hemp protein with rice milk after a hard workout.

aquageek
September 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I gave up Gatorade and other high-fructose corn syrup powered beverages two years ago.

Gatorade powder doesn't have hfcs. But, Jazzy and I share a common opinion on the anti HFCS conspiracy.

Paul Smith
September 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I post this just so Jazzbone and Gull can mock me. Here's my daily intake:

Two fish oil pills - to make me swim like a fish
Multi vite - because that is one they say I should take
B supplement - under $10 at costco and figure it can't do any harm
Resveratrol pill - makes lab rats live to 1.5 times normal life expectancy in huge doses
Potassium pill - my mother found a used bottle and gave it to me knowing I'd take anything, it's almost empty
Noni extract pill - no idea why I bought this but it's almost gone
Red yeast rice - the "natural" statin
42 fruits and vegetables in a pill - easier than actually eating 42 fruits and vegetables

I also take a few Endurolyte tabs (Hammer product) before I go on a run or bike and then a few more during the bike if it's a long one.

I finish most workouts with diluted gatorage except for biking which I finish with beer.

Although you fail to mention it here those of us in the know see how you neglected to mention the estrogen replacement therapy you're on.

For us it's:
- multi
- fish oil
- calcium/magnesium
- B100
- glucosomine/MSN/Chondritan
- optygen

Chris Stevenson
September 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Multivitamin. I don't believe in all that other stuff.

Every once in a blue moon I'll have chocolate milk after a workout.

Bobinator
September 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Every day I have at least> a banana, an apple, 2 X a day- scoop of fresh blueberries in yogurt, 2 oranges, broccoli, a few carrots, flax seed bread, walnuts or almonds (a handful), about 5 cups of green tea, 50-60 ounces of water, some kind of protein, and some type of "bad" sweet or bakery product.
The only supplement I take is vitamin D; my dr. said I was deficient.

JoeBob
September 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Gatorade powder doesn't have hfcs. But, Jazzy and I share a common opinion on the anti HFCS conspiracy.

My food allergies are very real. For decades I tried all kinds of meds, sprays, and shots but nothing worked satisfactorily or for long.
After I eased off diary, corn, soybeans, and most nightshades, my allergies finally left me.

SolarEnergy
September 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM
so I hope this doesn't turn into a flame thread. It shouldn't.
Supplements are simply part of a balanced athletic nutrition plan, especially on the post workout carbo (and or protein) replenishing side.

It's food like any other food. And speaking of money, I actually find them cheap (given that you pick the best price/calorie/quality ratio).

I like good old carbo reload (at $2/500Kcal) after most exhausting workouts and if I suspect there might have been muscle damage then I make sure I have sufficient protein reload, either through my diet (dinner) or through a protein/carbo shake (at $3/30gram at my local gym).

When I am in an intense overall training schedule, I might add a weight gainer/vitamin supplement (a shake there again, cytosports at $3.00/450Kcal done home early morning). Anyway, I keep a can home just in case, to increase Kcal intake to make sure I don't suffer Kcal deficit (like it happens to me sometimes).

Some like to seek for performance enhancement stuff like red bull or other stimulant, or Cytomax or anything. I prefer taste over anything else. And on that side, to me, poweraid comes first so this is my main fuel while training. Just for the taste It reminds me koolaid when I was I kid. I hate water, I find it is not rewarding.

dsyphers
September 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
For me it's :

fish oil (I like Nordic Naturals) 2x a day
multi-vitamin daily

then occasionally B complex and C if I'm surrounded by sick young people
and occasional calcium/magnesium when I feel like it.

finally, whether I want to or not, 2 glasses of good red wine :rolleyes: in the evening. When I'm tapering, I taper down to less than one glass for a couple of nights before the meet.

During meets I drink gatorade.

DolphinGirl
September 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I take a multi-vitamin every day and if I'm home after a swim, I'll have some chocolate milk. During meets, I'll drink a combination of water and Powerade. And I always follow up after a meet with chocolate milk, especially if it's a multi-day meet.

knelson
September 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Interesting that so many people are taking fish oil. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before reading this thread! What are its purported benefits?

No supplements for me. Like Chris, I do have the occasional chocolate milk after a workout. Sometimes Gatorade (G2, usually) during a workout. I prefer it diluted by about half.

aquageek
September 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Interesting that so many people are taking fish oil. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before reading this thread! What are its purported benefits?

It's an omega 3 fatty acid, allegedly for cardiovascular health, I think. They just sell big bottles of them for cheap, so it meets my requirements for a supplement.

gull
September 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Fish oil lowers your triglyceride level (which when elevated is a risk factor for coronary artery disease), and there is preliminary evidence that it may help prevent atrial fibrillation.

geminidragonizer
September 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Omega-3 fatty acids are the "new" sexy thing in a tablet. I read a Wall Street Journal article recently claiming that, of all supplements, these ones actually work. Back in the day researchers did studies on Greenland Inuits to understand why they had a low incidence of heart disease even though they maintained a fatty diet. Research discovered that their diet consisted in large portion of seafood rich in protective omega-3's fatty acids.

Now how much omega-3 you need to ingest to show cardiovascular protection is a matter for debate. All I know is they're marketing the hell out of it. DHA, one form of omega-3, is even marketed in baby food, claiming to increase infant brain development.

I'm not surprised that so many people are taking fish oil considering its recent popularity. I am surprised, however, at the (alarming) number of chocolate milk drinkers. I, too, prefer to drink dark chocolate flavored Muscle Milk. Mixed with milk it tastes just like like a chocolate shake. Perhaps, there's something to the aftertaste of chlorine and chocolate.

aquageek
September 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
It is a well known FACT (yes, Allen Stark, FACT) that milk is the grossest natiest crap ever forced upon kids. That many adults choose to drink it, in any flavor, defies explanation. Blech, meh, yawn on milk!

chaos
September 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
i get my fish oil from sardines.
started taking hammer's tissue rejuvenator.... no more ibuprofin, yea!

before/during short workouts gu's, gels, shot blocks and water.

long workouts hammer perpetuem. i just picked up a tub of maxim... 100% flavorless maltodextrin.

post workout: oj with whey protein, myoplex, or recoverite.

redstripe
September 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
For me: a multivitamin every day (when I remember), a banana every workout day, tons of water, and diluted Gatorade before, during & after workouts. I think the Gatorade helps with foot cramps during longer swims.

Georgio
September 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Enough fish oil also creates a "sheen" on the body, similar to slime on a fish, which offers obvious advantages to slip easily through the water.:bolt:

GoggleEyed
September 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have a problem with my joints, so I'm taking glucosamine as well as some kind of anti-inflammatory oil, i.e. fish oil or evening primrose oil. Taking fish oil all the time makes me sick (too much vitamin D), so I switch between the two. Thinking of trying New Zealand green lipped mussel extract which is supposed to contain both glucosamine and a much more effective anti-inflamatory oil in addition to other goodies.

I also take deep sea kelp (a source of iodine). I hate multivitamins, prefer to eat lots of fruit instead.

qbrain
September 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Enough fish oil also creates a "sheen" on the body, similar to slime on a fish, which offers obvious advantages to slip easily through the water.:bolt:

I wouldn't eat fish that have a slime in them...

Tim L
September 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I don't take any supplements. After reading all the supplements others take I am now concerned I am missing something.

Tim

John C Smith
September 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Fish oil lowers your triglyceride level (which when elevated is a risk factor for coronary artery disease), and there is preliminary evidence that it may help prevent atrial fibrillation.

Gull,

I've read in Rip Esselstyn's book "The Engine 2 Diet", that fish oils are considered by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to be potential risks and are "highly unstable molecules that can break down and release dangerous, disease causing free radicals"

Note.... Rip won the 200yd back at Austin Masters Nationals in the 45-50 age group.

Your thoughts?

John Smith

__steve__
September 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
in Rip Esselstyn's book "The Engine 2 Diet", that fish oils are considered by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to be potential risks and are "highly unstable molecules that can break down and release dangerous, disease causing free radicals" I am interested if this is dependant on certain types of fish, or all fish.

One oil that I consume daily, and is delicious too, is olive oil. We go through a pint of this stuff a week.

qbrain
September 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
One oil that I consume daily, and is delicious too, is olive oil. We go through a pint of this stuff a week.

Me too I guzzle the stuff, but if we are going to this level of supplement detail, I must throw in Pinot Noir, Monster cookie and Reese's miniature peanut butter cups. I am confident these are critical to my (lack of) success.

Ricki
September 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Gull,

I've read in Rip Esselstyn's book "The Engine 2 Diet", that fish oils are considered by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to be potential risks and are "highly unstable molecules that can break down and release dangerous, disease causing free radicals"

Note.... Rip won the 200yd back at Austin Masters Nationals in the 45-50 age group.

Your thoughts?

John Smith

I found this to be an interesting and well referenced article on fish oil:

http://www.wannabebig.com/supplements/fish-oil-just-the-facts/

JoeBob
September 19th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Unless you're allergic to shrimps, krill oil may work better to improve your lipid profile and to protect you against oxidative stress.
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/krilloil.htm
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/why-krill-oil/

How many people here like curry? I sprinkle some curry on my wild Siberian kale. Since adding curry and kale to my diet, my joint and lower-back pains have pretty much disappeared.
http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/spicraccanfi.html
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

KEWebb18
September 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Multi-vitamin and extra vitamin D daily.
Coffee in the morning, and water the rest of the day.

I have started to drink G2 during workouts to fuel my body.
Sometimes after an especially hard workout (or after an adult beverage or two) I drink the Endurox recovery. Its not as disgusting as some of the other stuff that I have tried.

I told my friends to never let me become the person at the doctor's office that has a separate page of all of the medications and supplements I take.

qbrain
September 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Sometimes after an especially hard workout (or after an adult beverage or two) I drink the Endurox recovery. Its not as disgusting as some of the other stuff that I have tried.

That is both funny and a really good idea.

The Fortress
September 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
That is both funny and a really good idea.

I have a swim friend who used to take a double dose of Accelerade the morning after imbibing adult beverages.

I take fish oil, flax seed oil and Vitamin B. I've started drinking coconut water for more potasssium and I'm going to start using a product called "Leg Cramps" with quinine because I'm so prone to calf cramps. I use endurox/Balance bars for convenience or else throw whey protein and flax seed oil into fruit smoothies. My doc recommended flax seed for dry eyes.

Vitamin B is apparently contra-indicated if one has sleep issues though ...

qbrain
September 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have a swim friend who used to take a double dose of Accelerade the morning after imbibing adult beverages.

I think before going to bed would be even better. There is no reason that restoring hydration and electrolytes needs to wait until the morning, and probably a little late if you want to get a practice in :)

gull
September 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM

I don't agree with that statement. Do they have any research to back it up?

gull
September 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've started drinking coconut water for more potasssium and I'm going to start using a product called "Leg Cramps" with quinine because I'm so prone to calf cramps.

There is no proof that quinine works, and it is not without side effects. I would stay away from it.

qbrain
September 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
There is no proof that quinine works, and it is not without side effects. I would stay away from it.

I think the "side effects" come from the gin, not the quinine...

Lui
September 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Interesting that so many people are taking fish oil. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before reading this thread! .

I've been a member on a board for body weight exercises for years. Most members are into boxing and Martial Arts.
Fish oil seems to be the most common supplement they pretty much all take.

finally, whether I want to or not, 2 glasses of good red wine :rolleyes: in the evening.

Lol..why is that?

Chris Stevenson
September 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Here is my experience.

Though my LDL and total cholesterol levels are great, I have perennially very low HDL levels in my blood -- not helped at all by exercise levels -- and sometimes have trouble with high triglyceride levels. My doctor attributes both to genetics given my family medical history (though I also have a sweet tooth I struggle to control at times) and has me on Lipitor mostly to boost HDL. I get tested several times a year to ensure my dosage level is correct; my HDL still is not high.

I heard that fish oil was good for this and tried it for quite some time; I would rather fish oil than a prescription drug (I didn't stop taking the Lipitor during this time, however). Alas, there was no affect on test results that I noticed, so I stopped. I subsequently asked my doctor about it and he basically said my body just doesn't know what to do with the stuff. YMMV.

qbrain
September 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
i get my fish oil from sardines.

This is a good point. There does not seem to be any medical dispute that you need only a small amount of omega-3's, so if you eat fatty fish like sardines or salmon, no need for fish oil. If you don't eat anything that naturally contains omega-3s or is fortified, then fish oil might be a benefit.

gull
September 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
This is a good point. There does not seem to be any medical dispute that you need only a small amount of omega-3's, so if you eat fatty fish like sardines or salmon, no need for fish oil. If you don't eat anything that naturally contains omega-3s or is fortified, then fish oil might be a benefit.

Currently fish oil is used to treat very high levels of triglycerides (>500 mg/dl). Both HDL and LDL tend to increase slightly. Lovaza is FDA approved and is available by prescription; the usual dose is 4 grams daily. The actual content of the over the counter supplements varies.

qbrain
September 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Currently fish oil is used to treat very high levels of triglycerides (>500 mg/dl). Both HDL and LDL tend to increase slightly. Lovaza is FDA approved and is available by prescription; the usual dose is 4 grams daily. The actual content of the over the counter supplements varies.

I don't think we are disagreeing Gull, but correct me if I am wrong.

One serving of sardines packed in water contains 6 grams of fat. For most people, that is just as good as a OTC fish oil capsule. Regular oily fish eaters probably don't need supplements.

Now if Dr. Gull tells you need more fish oil to help lower triglycerides, you are taking a pill form of fish oil because the Dr. wants to make sure you are getting a decent dose. The dose itself is still pretty small. 4 grams is only 36 calories.

gull
September 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think we are disagreeing Gull, but correct me if I am wrong.

One serving of sardines packed in water contains 6 grams of fat. For most people, that is just as good as a OTC fish oil capsule. Regular oily fish eaters probably don't need supplements.

Now if Dr. Gull tells you need more fish oil to help lower triglycerides, you are taking a pill form of fish oil because the Dr. wants to make sure you are getting a decent dose. The dose itself is still pretty small. 4 grams is only 36 calories.

My understanding is that the key is the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids (specifically EPA and DHA), which are purified and concentrated.

Lui
September 21st, 2009, 06:25 AM

One reason many people take fish oil is because of the mercury levels in fish but the two fish you mentioned(sardine and salmon) are actually the safe fish to eat.
I eat salmon and sardines several times a week which is why I don't take fish oil as a supplement.

qbrain
September 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM
One reason many people take fish oil is because of the mercury levels in fish

I wasn't trying to make a case against fish oil, just stating that there is no additional benefit to over consuming it. Kinda like vitamins. Once you have enough, additional consumption just colors your urine.