PDA

View Full Version : Swimmer Mag + Chris Stevenson

geochuck
September 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Nice article about Chris in Swimmer Magazine Sept to October issue.

His stroke is Unique and it proves there is no stroke that fits all. I especially like his extension and I really like his finish. His shpoulders show me that they come out nicely and do not set up resistence as we see in many other swimmers. Chris if there are any better stills of your arm during the catch to finish mode I for one would like to see the underwater shots.

Very good stuff.

Chris Stevenson
September 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm flattered, George; thank you. It isn't as pretty as Phelps' stroke, that's for sure.

Many coaches tried to fix that stroke when I was a wee lad. It isn't a very good stroke for sprinting (though I could do okay on relays when I was younger).

I don't have more still photos. Well, I do have some extras from that photo shoot but they technically don't belong to me so I can't really display them.

Floswimming was at nationals last spring and captured my 500 free, to see something other than stills (though no underwater shots):

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234996/178358

Just stop viewing it around the 400 mark.:)

swimshark
September 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I haven't gotten my Swimmer Mag yet but I have had the pleasure of seeing Chris in person. His swimming, whether on front or back, is amazing. Here is his 200 back, World Record SCM swim from 2007! I was watching this swim while sitting in front of his parents and cheering him on.

YouTube - Chris Stevenson 200 Back SCM Masters WR

thewookiee
September 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I went back last nigth and reviewed the backstroke issue that had Chris. I realized from looking at the photos, I definitly need to rotate more. Those underwater shots are great for realizing the things one needs to improve upon.

aquaFeisty
September 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I just like looking at the pictures of his ankles... which can achieve the same divergence from 180 degrees in extension that mine can achieve in flexion...

:)

__steve__
September 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
After seeing the videos it really put's things in perspective of how slow I really am and how much there is to learn. It is an honor to even be able to post on this thread.

geochuck
September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I watched the backstroke video and saw that he was not clenching his teeth together. The common backstroke error of some backstrokers is they clench their teeth together tightly.

Chris looked great, the underwater work was good and superb turns.

Chris Stevenson
September 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I went back last nigth and reviewed the backstroke issue that had Chris. I realized from looking at the photos, I definitly need to rotate more. Those underwater shots are great for realizing the things one needs to improve upon.

Not everyone rotates so much, including some extremely fast backstrokers. There is a trade-off between rotation (ie DPS) and turnover. My coach likes to say I have a 200-back kind of stroke, even when I sprint.

The common backstroke error of some backstrokers is they clench their teeth together tightly.

Interesting observation. I'm going to help out at a swim clinic in a few weeks (coaching backstroke); I'll watch out for this.

qbrain
September 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I finally read the article last night, instead of just looking at the pictures. Chris, you don't actually swim freestyle, you swim an alternating split arm butterfly. Very interesting stuff.

I would love to have your natural ankle flexibility.

Jeff Commings
September 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Not everyone rotates so much, including some extremely fast backstrokers. There is a trade-off between rotation (ie DPS) and turnover. My coach likes to say I have a 200-back kind of stroke, even when I sprint.

Putting Chris and I in lanes next to each other in a 100 back would show you the extreme range of stroke rate in backstroke.

qbrain
September 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Putting Chris and I in lanes next to each other in a 100 back would show you the extreme range of stroke rate in backstroke.

Are you saying that your breaststroke turnover is faster than you backstroke turnover, or you just spin your wheels and go no where?

Chris Stevenson
September 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
you just spin your wheels and go no where?

Well...he may spin his wheels -- I haven't seen his backstroke so I can't say -- but his backstroke times certainly indicate he gets somewhere pretty fast. :)

qbrain
September 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Well...he may spin his wheels -- I haven't seen his backstroke so I can't say -- but his backstroke times certainly indicate he gets somewhere pretty fast. :)

When I made that comment, I thought that he said he had to work backstroke really hard to go fast in another thread. Of course, he was talking about his 200 free... I am aware that Jeff's "slow" strokes are only slow relative to his fast stroke, and even then... :)

geochuck
September 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Interesting observation. I'm going to help out at a swim clinic in a few weeks (coaching backstroke); I'll watch out for this.

Chris one of the old East German coaches always told backstoke swimmers to let their lower jaw hang loose.

swimshark
September 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Chris one of the old East German coaches always told backstoke swimmers to let their lower jaw hang loose.

I tried this "lower jaw hanging loose" thing in practice the other day. How do you do it without getting water in your mouth?

Oh.. and still waiting for my Swimmer Mag. Mine always comes late.

qbrain
September 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I tried this "lower jaw hanging loose" thing in practice the other day. How do you do it without getting water in your mouth?

Try swimming backstroke on your back. That way air gets in your mouth and the water is behind your head.

geochuck
September 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
To have a relaxed loose jaw does not mean you have to swallow water. I just tried it sitting here at the computer and my jaw was loose but my lips were not even open. I know that when I did swim backstroke I could have my mouth open and did not swallow water.

Relaxed jaw is the secret.

swimshark
September 25th, 2009, 07:49 AM
To have a relaxed loose jaw does not mean you have to swallow water. I just tried it sitting here at the computer and my jaw was loose but my lips were not even open. I know that when I did swim backstroke I could have my mouth open and did not swallow water.

Relaxed jaw is the secret.

I'll try it again. Thanks.