PDA

View Full Version : 2011 SCY Nationals

mpmartin
September 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Have they chosen the location for the 2011 Short Course Nationals yet?

Chris Stevenson
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
The Championship Committee accepted the bid from Mesa, AZ (outisde of Phoenix). It still has to be approved by the House of Delegates but I don't think that will be a problem.

knelson
September 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Do you know what the facility will be if the meet is in Mesa?

Could be a well attended meet. In 2003 when the meet was in Tempe it was huge and very fast.

mermaid
September 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Kino Aquatic Center http://www.mesaaz.gov/parksrec/aquatics/pools/kino.aspx

pwolf66
September 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Is there only one 50m pool there? If so, what kind of wu/wd space is there? Didn't see much in the way of shade there. Is it like Clovis in that regard?

That's gonna be my last hurrah in 40-44 so I definately plan on being there.

pwb
September 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hopefully Paul Smith will chime in here, but Mesa will have 2 beautiful aquatics complexes. I swam in the newest of these where Paul now coaches and it's a 70 meter pool with an additional warmup pool. It's a nicer, newer pool than ASU where the 2003 Nats were held.

Chris Stevenson
September 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't remember the exact amount of WU space beyond the 2 competition courses. I know it wasn't as much as the huge amount of space in Clovis. I think 6-8 25y lanes?

It looks like a nice package: it won out over 2 other bids...I don't remember what those were exactly...I know the state of Florida submitted 3 bids (Ft Lauderdale, St Pete, and Sarasota) but none of them one and I don't remember for which courses.

My main personal problem for the SCY nats in AZ is that it is tentatively scheduled for late-April, so I probably wouldn't be able to go.

Paul Smith
September 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Just got the call from Chicago and we are in! 4/28/11-5/2/11 (open water swim Monday).

The newly remodeled Kino facility opened in June of this year and features a 75m main pool with moveable bulkhead which will allow us to run 2 x 9 lane competition courses and also have I believe 12 warm-up lanes (6 are in the diving well of the 75m pool and 6 in the 6 lane x 25 yd pool attached to wading pool and slide).

We have massive amounts of deck space plus we have athletic fields attached to the facility that our intial estimates show would allow for well over 100 pop-up tents. More importantly we have an unprecedented amount of support from the Mesa community (the Mayor attended the convention) which already has secured hotel discounts for events hosted at Kino. We also have our own airport (http://www.phxmesagateway.org/) which in addtion to Sky Harbor gives a number of lower cost flight options.

On a personal note...the Masters team at Kino was started by Ron Johnson many years ago and Laura & I are honored to have been given an oppurtunity to follow in his footsteps and have a chance to relaunch the program. I hope we will get a chance to see a lot of folks not just in 2011 but anytime you are in town and looking for a place to catch a workout!

http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=amsmac

Paul Smith
September 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Missed the attachment.

aquageek
September 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
This is great news!

Doug Adamavich
September 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Is there only one 50m pool there? If so, what kind of wu/wd space is there?

It is actually a 70M pool (North to South) with a movable bulkhead. The SCY configuration is East to West though, meaning that the turns and finishes will be at the walls.

Didn't see much in the way of shade there. Is it like Clovis in that regard?

There is a bunch of shade, all of the grandstands have canopies which offer shade during the mid-day and afternoon. The facility is surrounded by grass fields on two sides, which decreases the amount of radiated heat during the afternoon.

All in all, a great facility. The pool is deep and ought to be fast. There is going to be a meet there this fall. Paul Smith will announce it once they have a date set.

Robert Strand
September 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Was Long Course 2011 picked also??? THX

pwb
September 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Was Long Course 2011 picked also??? THX

Auburn.

orca1946
September 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanx for the info. Maybe I need to plan ahead!

KEWebb18
September 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Looks like a very nice facility. I will have to make sure I get out there and swim!

Paul Smith
September 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
A few people have sent me PM's asking for more details on the event, we will have the website "live" in about a week and I will post the link here and on the USMS Events forum.

hrietz
September 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Looks like an incredible facility. The timing of the meet is great as well!

pwolf66
September 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Just curious what are the dates for the meet?

hrietz
September 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Paul's earlier post said 4/28/11-5/2/11 with the OW swim on Monday.

scyfreestyler
September 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Looking forward to it!

pwolf66
September 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM
Paul's earlier post said 4/28/11-5/2/11 with the OW swim on Monday.

Whoops, apparently I can't read. Thanks.

TRYM_Swimmer
September 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Anyone have the dates for the Open Water Champs?

Betsy
September 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
I am definitely sorry that Chris might not be able to attend due his job, and I hate cutting short course season by a few weeks. BUT...because of the Arizona location I am glad that it is earlier. The heat really bothered me in the two nationals at Tempe. Moving the meet up a few weeks, makes a huge diffeence to me.

orca1946
September 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'll look for the web site. Thanx

aquageek
September 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'd like to up-front propose to the cmte that is hosting this that the following three rules be implemented for this meet:

1. "Teams" created for the sole purpose of breaking records and from states that are not in the same LMSC cannot be created. This is only applicable to any "team" that Paul Smith wants to create. Everyone else is exempt.
2. Smith by Marriage is the only Smith who has authority to speak or direct others at this meet.
3. Wookie should stock up now on the Epilady shavers so there is no chance he won't be able to shave and, thus, clog up the entire Phoenix metroplex water delivery system. He should also get new dentures.

fastback
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Are dedicated relay days proposed for either of the champioships?

Paul Smith
September 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM

Not for the SCY meet in Arizona.

Geek, I just told Rowdy about your little set of "rules" and he has gladly dumped your sorry butt from the Team Blu Frog roster.

aquageek
September 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Geek, I just told Rowdy about your little set of "rules" and he has gladly dumped your sorry butt from the Team Blu Frog roster.

I bet he'll still cash the check I sent today for the Orlando meet, including the Sea World social where we shall see animals with body fat in excess of 25%. Do we know anyone that has that body fat percentage, DO WE?

jim clemmons
September 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM

Not for Summer Nat's either. Four day meet format.

John C Smith
September 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
I bet he'll still cash the check I sent today for the Orlando meet, including the Sea World social where we shall see animals with body fat in excess of 25%. Do we know anyone that has that body fat percentage, DO WE?

Fortunately, I am a mere 24.7%