PDA

View Full Version : Pain in lower-right abdomen

jakeman81
September 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I swim everyday (competitive swimming, not leisure.) I remember every practice for the past two weeks I have this pain right below my last rib on the right. Even minor walking can trigger this pain, and it's painful... enough to make me not want to practice, on a scale of 1-10 it's definitely a mid 7 or 8. I have dismissed it but I'm becoming increasingly skeptical about this.

At first I thought it was due to food being in my stomach, or liquids. I refrained from eating 2 hours before practice and the same time for drinking any type of fluids and the pain still came up.

Any ideas?

Edit: It only occurs in increased physical activity.

isobel
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Very much not a doctor but I have had that sort of pain as well, when walking as well as after swimming.

I have decided for me (it's maybe a 3 on a scale of 1-10) that it is a tight psoas muscle, so I've been doing psoas release exercises and trying to strengthen my back muscles, especially my hamstrings.

I think (not a doctor, again) that many muscles pass by the ribs, including the psoas, which goes from your hip through your pelvis up to the beginning of your thoracic spine (?) along with the quadratus lumborum, which connects at your 12th rib (I might be way off on these connections; I am trying to understand my anatomy book as I type this). Anyway a bunch of muscles connected to your hips go up and converge with your lower back and ribs.

For me, I decided I needed to stretch out my hips passively (and googled some stuff online that showed me how to do that) and strengthen my back, especially my hamstrings.

Hope you get better. Sounds like a real MD might be called for, however.

dsyphers
September 19th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Same disclaimer... I'm not a doctor... but I occasionally have an issue in that area. I believe it is related to a tight psoas as well, but for me it is part of a whole right-side issue including the glutes, hamstrings and the ilio-tibial band. I see a massage therapist every four weeks, and together with stretching it becomes nothing but a minor nuisance at worst. Without stretching and the massage therapy it takes about 3-4 months before my muscle spasms leave me face-down and unable to get up. With the stretching and massage therapy I can train hard and don't have a problem with it.

One of the stretches I find important is to lie on your back, and move your body toward the shape of a "C" while keeping your back flat on the floor/mat. I hold it, feel the stretch, and visualize the right side lengthening in the stretch, then do a little self-massage of the tight areas.

As always though, check with a variety of professionals -- your doctor, physical therapist, and/or massage therapist to see if it is something worse than a muscular issue.