PDA

View Full Version : A good drill to correct hand crossover

__steve__
September 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Went to a practice yesterday for the first time. The coach discovered my hands are crossing over in front, which really explains alot of the problems I have with position.

Is this a simple thing to fix?

Are there any good drills for correcting this?

Is crossing hands the primary problem, or a symptom of another problem?

Another thing, I learned freestyle while avoiding a vulnerable position for my left shoulder. Reaching or stretching straight forward while dropping my shoulder down will pop it out of socket (it's not fun when this happens and it's never the same after). I think this might be a factor to my stroke problem since I naturally protect it, but is this vulnerable position required to become a good freestyler? I can reach forward and stretch, I just cant drop the shoulder untill my arm is at least 20˚ closer to body.

Thank you

Donna
September 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Try holding on to your kick board with one arm and pulling with the other. Make sure your non working arm is resting on the kickboard.

Another drill is more of an open water drill but swim with your head up. This also forces you to do a wider stroke.

If you have access to a surf board paddling on a surfboard can also help.

Coach Scott
September 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
We use a modified form of catch up drill. Thumbs extended s o that the thumb and index finger form an L. Then you do catch up with just the very tips of the thumbs touching. It has to be done SLLLOOOOOWWWLLLLYYYY so that you develop a real awareness. Can also be done with a 12 in. ruler where you just grip the ends of the ruler on each catch.

Donna's suggestions are great too! Hope that helps and provides some options.

Scott

__steve__
September 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Try holding on to your kick board with one arm and pulling with the other. Make sure your non working arm is resting on the kickboard.I'll try this today, thanks!

Another drill is more of an open water drill but swim with your head up. This also forces you to do a wider stroke.
Is this also called kayak stroke? If so I can do about 2 X 25M worth of these. But afterwards my lower back is exhausted and legs cramped. Funny thing is - for a 25, it's only 1-2 seconds slower doing the kayak stroke with head out of water and no goggles, than when I sprint.

We use a modified form of catch up drill. Thumbs extended so that the thumb and index finger form an L. Then you do catch up with just the very tips of the thumbs touching. It has to be done SLLLOOOOOWWWLLLLYYYY so that you develop a real awareness. Can also be done with a 12 in. ruler where you just grip the ends of the ruler on each catch.
You mean I will hand the ruler off to the other hand in front?

Thanks for the tip's coaches

rtodd
September 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM
1. Simple one arm drills keeping the other hand outstretched.

2. 6 kick swtich drill can help.

3. Use a snorkle and looking forward, watch your hand entry to be sure you are not crossing over.

4. Are you swimming "fast"? Pace work with fins. You gotta get moving and you will quickly find that crossing over is not part of the equation when swimming fast.

Allen Stark
September 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You may not be rolling enough.If you are rolling properly there is less of a tendency to crossover.Have your coach check for this.

orca1946
September 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
A catch up drill will help you. Touch the extended hand with the other before pulling back with the bottom hand.

__steve__
September 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
I've been practicing a catch-up drill where I hold a 12 x 2" peice of hard foam in front to catch it with the opposing hand, using a solid 4 beat to maintain momentum.

Result: 50's and 100's both are 1-4 seconds quicker during intervals.

I also subconsciously keep hands outside line and feel more water pressure on hands, and my shoulder is not bugging me.

One thing, while doing the drill, after my breath I quickly sink as my head looks down. Might be wrong rotation or a sign of a loss of streamline with a breath. Like my breathing position acts as a speed brake then I sink. I need to work on streamlined breathing. Even though this happens with the drill, it might be going on with normal swimming. I'll focus some on that.

But thanks again for the the tips everyone, I feel I made more progress in just two swims than I ever have.