PDA

View Full Version : Aerobic base

West
September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm currently training for the running part of a biathle (run+swim+run) event. At this point I'm building up aerobic base for running. Would this also have an effect on my long distance races (800 and 1500, for example)? If it did, would it be barely noticeable or huuge (like becoming a long distance swimmer from a drop dead sprinter)?

SolarEnergy
September 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
I do not understand the question. Sorry.

qbrain
September 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
If you are already in decent shape, then you cannot expect much benefit to your swimming. Starting as a couch potato, you will benefit as your general fitness increases.

Running will probably slow you down in the water from increased fatigue, but tapering should take care of that. You may benefit mentally from doing something new and end up pushing yourself harder both in your swimming and your running.

bigirishape
September 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
The answer, I would say, is going to be no. The aerobic base you get from running would benefit you in the pool, but not in the way you seem to be hoping. Swimming is a whole different beast from running. Different muscle sets, different movements, different breathing patterns.

It will help you with your leg endurance, but when it comes to swimming, it's at least 50/50 upper and lower...and you sure aren't working the upper body if you're running all the time...unless you run with small dumbbells doing presses, flyes and shrugs throughout.

Professional triathletes train all three: run, swim and bike. If they were suddenly able to go from barely able to swim a 100yd to being able to ace a 1500yd just by running, you'd see a lot less triathletes in the pool...