PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Question

bkbain
September 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
So I was at a usas meet this weekend and wore a b70. I was 3 tenths off of world championship trials. Now that the suits are banned for usas..... if I swam a masters meet and make the cut in a b70 would I be able to swim that event at WCT??

thewookiee
September 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
So I was at a usas meet this weekend and wore a b70. I was 3 tenths off of world championship trials. Now that the suits are banned for usas..... if I swam a masters meet and make the cut in a b70 would I be able to swim that event at WCT??

Probably not. If I understand things correctly for a master's swimmer to have times count toward the usa database, then the swims have to be preformed under usa rules, which now would include wearing approved suits.

Jeff Commings
September 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Not to mention the fact that world championship trials were held in July.

thewookiee
September 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM

That might present a bit of a problem...

aquageek
September 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I am confused on what you have stated. WCT was months ago and in LCM. The meet you swam was SCY. Are you referring to FINA World Master's Championships? Those are in LCM as well. Your times from the meet would certainly convert to qualifying times for the FINA meet.

knelson
September 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

True. And World Champs are only held in odd years, so the next one won't be until 2011.

orca1946
September 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
So FINA has more time to confuse all of us !!

thewookiee
September 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM

Huh? Confuse us on what?

ehoch
September 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
US swimming has waited to put up Olympic Trials trials standards though ...

aquageek
September 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

FINA Masters standards are easily found from the USMS home page. Where I am confused is on the statement that WCT standards were achieved.

jonblank
September 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Was the questioner posing hypothetically?

bkbain
September 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I was asking about SCY Nationals. I guess I assumed that it was a world champ qualifier. But now that I think about it no one swim SCY but us. Sorry about that.

jim thornton
September 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
As Emily Litella might say, Nevermind.

YouTube - Gilda Radner - Emily Litela: Substitute Teacher

aquageek
September 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was asking about SCY Nationals. I guess I assumed that it was a world champ qualifier. But now that I think about it no one swim SCY but us. Sorry about that.

First, I didn't realize there were meets in Rocky Mount, so that is a plus! Second, nice swims!

bkbain
September 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
First, I didn't realize there were meets in Rocky Mount, so that is a plus! Second, nice swims!

We got a new YMCA with a 8 lane pool and have about 4 usas meets a year. Working on getting a masters meet in the future.

knelson
September 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
And, yeah, Wookiee's got it right. The official verifying the time should be verifying that you followed USA-S rules during the swim, and wearing a B70 is definitely against USA-S rules beginning next week.

Yet one more reason why USMS should adhere to FINA's rules regarding suits, IMO.

thewookiee
September 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
And, yeah, Wookiee's got it right..

Geek- see the above quote? Just remember that anytime you start to doubt me. In the word's of the late Classy Freddie Blassie, "you pencil-necked geeks better get it right"

bkbain
September 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
As Emily Litella might say, Nevermind.

YouTube - Gilda Radner - Emily Litela: Substitute Teacher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afi2xeM5ZSI)

Whats this video of? Youtube is blocked here.

aquageek
September 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Geek- see the above quote? Just remember that anytime you start to doubt me. In the word's of the late Classy Freddie Blassie, "you pencil-necked geeks better get it right"

Great, thanks a lot Kirk. Wookie can stay at your house next time he visits and you can experience the joy of him shedding all over your house.

jim thornton
September 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Whats this video of? Youtube is blocked here.

It's just an old Gilda Radner sketch that culminates in her saying, ever so sweetly, never mind!

When you said that YouTube is blocked here, I had to check to see if you were posting from Red China.

Which Province of Red China is Rocky Mount in?

TRYM_Swimmer
September 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
We got a new YMCA with a 8 lane pool and have about 4 usas meets a year. Working on getting a masters meet in the future.

Do it! New Bern contingent will promise to attend.

knelson
September 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Wookie can stay at your house next time he visits and you can experience the joy of him shedding all over your house.

It's OK, I'll just go out and buy a Dyson Animal vacuum.