PDA

View Full Version : endurance help

crozen
September 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hey guys i have my first meet on oct 10th, and i really need to improve my endurance. can you guys give me some tips please?

qbrain
September 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Swim, everyday.

shouldyswimmer
September 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Swim everday and swim over distance. If you are going to swim a 100 then swim 200s in practice. Doing fast paced kicking sets with help increase your overall endurance as well.

Swim fast, swim hard and when you think you can swim anymore, keep swimming.

nkfrench
September 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
October 10th is coming up quite soon. Your body is going to take some time to adapt and improve. Workouts are where you tear yourself down; rest is where your body rebuilds and strengthens.

Think of your first meets as learning race skills and establishing some baseline times that you'll try to improve on as the season progresses.

Do some longer swims than your intended race distances in practice. You will want to learn to pace yourself so you can do the times you're capable of. That requires that you use the paceclock and do interval training paying close attention to how it "feels" to swim a 50 or 100 at a given speed; and to select the effort required so you can do several repeats of that distance at the same time.

For shorter distances in a short-course pool paying attention to detail can reap huge rewards. During practice, focus on a tight streamline coming off EVERY start and turn and drive to the wall on EVERY finish. Then it will become a habit and you'll do the same in a meet.

Good luck and have fun !

Donna
September 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I agree with Nancy on this one. Use this meet as a starting point. You will improve over time both in endurance and stroke mechanics. Good luck with your races and most of all HAVE FUN!

One thing about Masters Swimming is that we have fun and meet a lot of people. Enjoy!

crozen
September 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
hey nancy first off thanks for your advice, but i what did you mean by "drive to the wall on EVERY finish"? and also, it seems like certain days i can swim all day, and others i cant even do a 100 without having to catch my breath after 50, could this be because im not eating right? it isnt something ive gave much thought to but going from a pretty lazy life style that i had to swimming about 2 hours a day 5 times a week, should i consider changing my diet some?

jbs
October 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
going from a pretty lazy life style that i had to swimming about 2 hours a day 5 times a week, should i consider changing my diet some?

How did you build up to that 2 hours a day 5 days a week? An increase from nothing to 10 hours a week is a big increase. I've always heard that when you are building up distance or time, you need to do it gradually--I think the figure is about a 10% increase per week. That way, you give your body a chance to adapt to the increased demands you are putting on it.

If you didn't build up to it, then that could possibly explain why your endurance level varies so much from day to day. It may be that your body is hasn't had a chance to adapt fully to the new demands and you need to build in more rest to help it get there.

nkfrench
October 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
hey nancy first off thanks for your advice, but i what did you mean by "drive to the wall on EVERY finish"? and also, it seems like certain days i can swim all day, and others i cant even do a 100 without having to catch my breath after 50, could this be because im not eating right? it isnt something ive gave much thought to but going from a pretty lazy life style that i had to swimming about 2 hours a day 5 times a week, should i consider changing my diet some?

By "drive to the wall", I mean swim 100 yards on a 100-yard swim, not 99 yards. No coasting in, either.

Swimmers do need to eat well and rest to get the most from their practices. Swimming can burn a lot of calories in general and carbohydrates in particular. Check the USA Swimming website; they have some good nutrition advice for swimmers. http://www.usaswimming.org

geochuck
October 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Better technique helps with endurence. It is hard to swim if your technique stinks.

__steve__
October 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Here's some advice I wish I had not too long ago when I first started swimming and building endurance:

Learn to swim straight and level, be relaxed, have rhythm, and feel the water. Have someone experienced analyze your style.