PDA

View Full Version : FINA news

ehoch
September 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM
http://reachforthewall.com/2009/09/26/masters-moves-closer-to-same-suit-ban-as-elites/

Looks like the suits are out ...

mindy
September 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I am a middle aged swimmer, with a disability. I have to swim with a zipper suit. It equalizes the pressure across my shoulders I train in a water polo suit with a zipper. I can NEVER wear straps on my suits. I do not care about the material, or the length, those two issues do not prevent a swimmer from competing. This issue if we go with FIna would prevent me from competing, and that is exclusion. I would hope they would allow medical dispensations. I am a national champion despite my disability, and I am not going to stop competing. What are these people thinking? We are not elite athletes, and two years ago I could not even walk. I am what most masters can relate to. Swimming is the only thing I can now do. So I will show up with my zipper suits, and hope the refs. allow me to swim!!!!!!

Allen Stark
September 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
This is clear as mud.This is a recommendation to a committee that meets in Jan,after the 1/1/10 deadline.Come on already,fish or cut bait.:argue:

Chris Stevenson
September 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well -- assuming the report is correct -- my FINA-knowledgable friend called this one wrong. Of course, predicting FINA's actions is next-to-impossible.

He also indicated that the FINA bureau would rubber-stamp the committee's recommendation and maybe that prediction was wrong too.

mindy
September 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
anybody have a clue how USMS is going to respond? All bets are off.

nyswimmer
September 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
This is clear as mud.This is a recommendation to a committee that meets in Jan,after the 1/1/10 deadline.Come on already,fish or cut bait.:argue:

I don't know a lot about how FINA is governed (thankfully -- life is too short). But my understanding is that the masters committee doesn't have the authority to do any more than make a recommendation to the Bureau. If that's correct, this is the most definitive decision we could expect from FINA now.

The Fortress
September 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Sweet! We get a chance to wear out our suits until the end of the year. :):angel:

Though some certainty going forward would be nice.

pwb
September 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Sweet! We get a chance to wear out our suits until the end of the year. :):angel:

Though some certainty going forward would be nice.

That's certainly how I read the article based upon:
The committee decided during two days of meetings in Sweden to “recommend to the FINA Bureau that it approve the FINA swimsuit rule … for masters competition,” said Nancy Ridout, the only U.S. member of FINA’s masters technical commission, in an e-mail.

The FINA Bureau next meets in mid-January.
I certainly hope, though, that USMS will come out on or before 10/1 and let us know what their intentions are. It would seem to me very easy, based upon this news out of the FINA committee, for USMS to say something like:
USMS has made our formal recommendation to FINA on swimsuit regulations (insert hyperlink) and had recommended a 10/1/09 implementation date. With the recent decision by the FINA masters technical committee to further their recommendation to the FINA Bureau and the fact that the FINA Bureau will not meet until mid-January of 2010, the current allowable swimsuits are .... INSERT CLEAR LANGUAGE AS TO WTH WE CAN WEAR
Looking at USAS, though, they've pressed forward with 10/1 without waiting for FINA final ruling. I was talking with one of our senior officials who works across USAS, USMS and High School meets this weekend and he was as frustrated as we are. The officials want a definitive yes-no decision on swimsuits by brand and model so that they don't have to continually answer and make judgement calls when parents, swimmers and coaches ask about specific suits.

What will USMS do?

Chris Stevenson
September 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
This part of the article may be a little misleading:

"The USMS House of Delegates voted last week to put it in place whatever ban is eventually instituted sooner rather than later, approving an Oct. 1 implementation date rather than a July 1, 2010, date."

It is true that the Rules Committee put 3 options before the HOD (including an Oct 1 and a July 1 implementation dates), and it is also true that the Oct 1 date won by a narrow margin. But it was simply an indication of preferences, it was not a specific motion for a change in rules. At least, that was my understanding at the time: the Rules Committee realized that they may have to act in-between sessions of the HOD and they wanted to have a sense of how the delegates felt about the issue. But the margin was narrow enough that I think the Rules Committee will use its discretion if it feels that an earlier ban would be problematic.

Assuming that the FINA masters committee did as the article suggests and pass along a recommendation to the FINA Bureau to impose the same rules as the elites, I don't see how USMS can can act before the Bureau makes its decision. This is NOT like the situation of USA-S, which decided on an earlier date than FINA (Oct 1 vs Jan 1)...in that case, the Bureau DID make a decision and chose (then un-chose then re-chose) Jan 1 as the implementation date. USA-S just decided to implement a little earlier, but they knew it was coming. I think that was a wise choice since then most of the season would be under the new rules.

In USMS' case, as far as I can tell, we cannot be sure what the FINA Bureau will decide until it issues its ruling. I am pretty sure that USMS will do whatever FINA says. But can it do so before its January meeting? I have no idea.

But who knows at this point. Maybe the higher-ups in USMS know something I do not (eg, that the FINA Bureau will agree to the committee's recommendation). But if there is any uncertainty, I don't see how USMS can act pre-emptively. Plus it wouldn't be fair to do so before the end of the SCM season since other countries' federations might not follow suit, so to speak.

orca1946
September 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Other than records made, what is the bottom line at FINA & USMS?

Allen Stark
September 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Given that the SCM season is up and running,changing the rules before 1/1/10 would be unfair!

The Fortress
September 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Given that the SCM season is up and running,changing the rules before 1/1/10 would be unfair!

Probably one reason the FINA Bureau is meeting in January ...

swimcat
September 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM
i was told at a lmsc meeting this past saturday, fina is the final word and if you read carefully FINA HASNT DECIDED AND VOTED ON IT YET. when it's done, it's done but it is not final as of this point. people quit panicking, you can still wear them for scm meets. i plan on wearing a long although not rubberized suit to swim in orlando as well as scm meet in atl in dec.

ande
September 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
whenever the determination is finally made, FINA will launch a press release (http://www.fina.org/project/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=124&Itemid=108).

orca1946
September 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I agree, something that will reach ALL swimmers!