PDA

View Full Version : Meet question

pwolf66
September 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
With limited opportunities to swim USMS meets in the next 6 months (due to coaching commitments and no travel budget), should I take opportunities to swim in USA-S meets, even if it means several meets in a row. But in these meets, I would only swim at most one or two events due to a limited amount of time.

Example is next month, on the 17th, I can swim the 200 Free on Saturday morning session. I _think_ it would be a good idea to swim it to gain additional race experience. And also as a baseline for swimming it in just a jammer again. The next weekend, I have a one day USMS sprint meet where I am swimming all 4 50s and the 100 IM. November is looking very slim for meets, USMS or USA-S and December is completely out.

My training schedule would not be greatly affected if I did swim, as Saturday is an off day for me.

Anyone (other than QBrain) have any thoughts on this?

qbrain
September 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
What? No love man, no love.

You should do it. If your USAS meets are setup like mine, then the charge is per event, making a one event local meet worthwhile.

funkyfish
September 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'd say do it, race experience is race experience. For myself, I feel that I'd probably swim better if I had more frequent racing like I did in high school. Over the past 3 years I've only managed 5 meets annually.
:bliss:

jim clemmons
September 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
If you've got the time, the money and your family is willing to part with you for the event, go for it. Why wouldn't you?

Syd
September 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Go for it. I would love to be able to attend more meets and am really envious of the number of meets held for Masters in the US. Here we have about four a year and I am lucky if I can get to two.

Treat it as a training session. Also how can you give up the chance of swimming a 200? (Especially in light of your performance this past weekend). :)

swimshark
September 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I'd do it, too, Paul. When I do USAS meets, I only do 1 or 2 events. Something about their meets that make me want to do fewer events.

No VA Beach meet Nov 7th?

pwolf66
September 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I had to really beg to be able to do the Mason meet on the 25th. Unlike last year where I could and would drive several hours for meets, I can't this year due to having to be on deck early Saturday afternoons and late Sunday mornings. That makes it very tough to attend a meet in the local area much less one that's several hours drive.

orca1946
September 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hey, doing 2-3 events would be fun compared to a full race & relay card!

Swimmy83843
September 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I've been thinking about swimming USAS meets. we only have 3-4 local meets a year for masters. Since I'm already at the USA meets as a coach, It would not be any bigger time commitment. But with so few masters meets, I don't get to really race too many events.

swimshark
September 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I had to really beg to be able to do the Mason meet on the 25th. Unlike last year where I could and would drive several hours for meets, I can't this year due to having to be on deck early Saturday afternoons and late Sunday mornings. That makes it very tough to attend a meet in the local area much less one that's several hours drive.

Understandable. Well, see you in 3.5 weeks.

pwolf66
September 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I entered the 200 Free in the PVS October Open. It's my only event and I seeded a 2:04.00. Since this is going to be a jammer swim, anything under that will be good. And it will be a good comparison for last weeks B70 swim.

swimshark
September 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan, Paul. I will be interesting to see the difference in time.

qbrain
September 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a good plan, Paul. I will be interesting to see the difference in time.

It will be interesting to see the difference and I like your event choice :)