PDA

View Full Version : Forward glide in freestyle

woland
September 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Howdy - I started swimming again couple months ago after many years away from the pool and I am struggling quite a bit with my freestyle timing. I think that I have too much of a "windmill" approach - forward arm entering water right when sweeping arm is close to finishing upsweep.
That means that it is hard for me to glide on the arm extending forward - I need to transfer quickly to sweeping it back and - worst of all - I need to use portion of the sweep to prevent myself from sinking when taking a breath. Which amounts to wasting energy (and unnecessary up/down movement).
I found this video on YouTube:
YouTube - Freestyle - Reaching Your Limits

I do not know enough about details of technique to comment on her elbows being low or not - what interests me is the timing issue - for her the forward arm is extending while sweeping arm is about to go into upsweep (or perhaps even earlier). Is this the timing I should be striving for? Extending arm BEFORE completing the sweep?

TIA for any comments or pointers and apologies for trivial question,

JT

tomtopo
September 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
As swimmers continue to get faster, differences in timing philosophies will decrease. Propulsion starts increasing when the hand makes the transition from the first quadrant and into the second. Peak intertia or peak speed happens when the hand enters this second quadrant and makes the transition into the third quadrant (when the hand exits). Gliding represents the loss of inertia and should be avoided. If you're doing 100mph in a race car and on a flat surface, then put your car in neutral you begin to lose speed immediately, maybe not a noticeable loss but a loss.

Even the best kick in the world can only slow down the loss of inertia when the arms aren't producing peak drag forces. So, to make this long story short. The video of this swimmer is nice but the hand in front should be in a more vertical position. Remember, sculling or lift forces are not as propusively effective as drag forces. That swimmer is laying on her arm too long. A nice relaxing stroke and if she's swimming the English Channel it would help her but it won't help her break any records.

ande
September 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
take swimming lessons from an excellent swim instructor

make a video of you swimming,
put it up on youtube
invite swimmers to comment by giving them the link

read swim faster faster

ande

orca1946
September 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Glide is relative. You always are fighting drag ,so something will always need to be propelling you forward.

__steve__
September 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM
make a video of you swimming,
Anyone know the cheapest camera available able to accomplish this? Thanks

SolarEnergy
September 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Is this the timing I should be striving for? Extending arm BEFORE completing the sweep?
First of all, what's your stroke count at the moment?

FindingMyInnerFish
October 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Are you near any college/university with a good swim program?

A couple years ago, I worked with a university swim coach who filmed me swimming underwater and gave me feedback. I paid $30/session, but it was worth it. If you ask around at your masters' group, someone likely will have info on who might be able to help.

qbrain
October 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 is the cheapest I have found. Lists for $200, so it is pretty easy to find for $175 online.

qbrain
October 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Are you near any college/university with a good swim program?

A couple years ago, I worked with a university swim coach who filmed me swimming underwater and gave me feedback. I paid $30/session, but it was worth it. If you ask around at your masters' group, someone likely will have info on who might be able to help.

The nearest good swim program to me is 3 hours away. I wonder what Eddie Reese would charge to video tape and review it with me :) If it is only $30, it would be a frequent trip.

__steve__
October 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 is the cheapest I have found. Lists for $200, so it is pretty easy to find for $175 online.Thank You qbrain!
:)
I shall start a thread with video in a month or two for some analytical feedback.