PDA

View Full Version : Buying swimming fins

Fishy
September 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I am going to buy a pair of swimming fins this weekend.
I know that the fin itself should not be a long scuba-type, but rather small or medium the most. Is that right?

The other thing:
I read somewhere that flippers for swimmers should not have a hole on the flipper, but it should be solid. What I mean is.

This is the "solid" one:
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/huy81225/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/huy81225/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/swimming-fins-1469728/

And this has a "hole":
http://www.tribord.com/EN/r-gomoove-61767149/

Which one of the two you recommend. the first one is not a good quality or at least it doesn't look like a professional thing. Just cheap rubber. I don't know if that's a factor when buying a fin or not. The second one I tried and it was fun. I would definitely buy those unless you -swimmers- says otherwise.

Thanks for the answer:applaud:

preeder61
September 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Selecting the right fin for you is always a difficult proposition if you have not tried a number of different types. I have tried and tested them all and still feel that the Alpha Fins from Aqua Sphere are the most comfortable and useful for swim training. They also float and can be used instead of a pull buoy.

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/alphafins.html

There is a GoSwim video available on this link. Also available in Europe

qbrain
September 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Long fins are fine for building leg strength and working on ankle flexibility. If you are only going to get one pair of fins, I would get long swim fins. They aren't scuba fins, but they aren't zoomers either.

Fortress and maybe some others will pop in here and tell you Zoomers are for swimming, not for kicking.

As for which specific pair of swim fins, I have no idea. I have Speedo's and they are fine, but I am not picky.

frankiej
September 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Ya, longer fins are better for kicking sets. Hate the smaller ones and zoomers, they kinda just help you to keep up.

I got these from the swimoutlet store online.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16033.htm

Have let to try them since I had to return them for a smaller size but the fin is in between the size of a scuba fins and zoomers.

orca1946
September 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
For swim teams long fins are not what you want. Go to Keifer.com --- short fins are for practice. NOTE get the silicone ones , they are much softer on the foot than the hard rubber ones !

Jazz Hands
September 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I've been using Tyr Split Fins for a while, and I always recommend them. They provide very good power and feel.

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I've been using Tyr Split Fins for a while, and I always recommend them. They provide very good power and feel.

100% agree...best fins I have used....although the Finis Z2 are a close second.

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ya, longer fins are better for kicking sets. Hate the smaller ones and zoomers, they kinda just help you to keep up.

I got these from the swimoutlet store online.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16033.htm

Have let to try them since I had to return them for a smaller size but the fin is in between the size of a scuba fins and zoomers.

Actually note true. Shorter fins when doing "power work" are actually much better because you can get your kick tempo much higher. I've written before about using a fin like the Finis Z2 and smaller paddles like the Han's paddles for blast 25's & 50's to develop speed/power.

The Fortress
September 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
For swim teams long fins are not what you want. Go to Kiefer.com --- short fins are for practice.

What are you talking about?

I agree with Jazz, Paul and Q -- long blade fins or TYR split fins (which are long too). I never use zoomers. Blech. But perhaps they help kick tempo WHILE you're doing AFAP 25s. You shouldn't be doing kick sets in them though.

Paul, do you ever agree 97% or may 89%?

Red60
September 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Since I work out alone I have often wondered: are the kick sets I see in posted workouts predicated on using fins? Because I cannot possibly make what seem to be typical kicking set intervals. Do you use fins on all, most or few kick sets?

Just today I bought a pair of Speedo Optimas (I think that's the name--blue and orange, split) because my old fins seemed sort of goofy-long, and zoomers seem insane. I got more foot flex out of the new ones, and they still had enough surface area to add something.

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Paul, do you ever agree 97% or may 89%?

Yeah...with almost all of your posts (say 72%).

I'm 50/50 with Geek.

Allen Stark
September 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah...with almost all of your posts (say 72%).

I'm 50/50 with Geek.

72.63% of all statistics are made up.

aquageek
September 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Our team uses Speedo Optimus Training Fins which are somewhat similar to the TYR split fin. I agree 100.1% with Fort on Zoomers. I hate those things. If I'm gonna use fins I want them to actually do something for me or contribute to a set. Zoomers remind me of the way back time machine in the 1980s when basketball coaches suggested you wear ankle weights. All they did was slow you down.

SwimStud
September 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Alpha fins.

qbrain
September 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've been using Tyr Split Fins for a while, and I always recommend them. They provide very good power and feel.100% agree...best fins I have used....although the Finis Z2 are a close second.

I had to research these fins just because Paul Smith and Jazz agreed on something.

I couldn't find it, but do the fins have a silicon shoe or rubber?

orca1946
September 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I will look into TYR

White Shark
December 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I've started with traininglessons on front- and butterfly-stroke. This passed thursday the butterflystroke was new to me. At the pool were only very large fins available. And it was my first experience with swimming fins. So I felt every muscle in my feet. Now I consider to buy a pair of Speedo Biofuse Training Fins to train the dolphin kick.
Off course it's marketingtalk, but I read Michael Phelps is training with the Speedo Biofuse's below. Nice, but I like to hear some experience here with these fins at the front- and especially the butterfly-stroke. So, who has experience with these fins?

debaru
December 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I use TYR Crossblade (http://www.tyr.com/shop/crossblade™-training-p-558-c-68_69.html) training fins, which have an intermediate length. I'm very happy with them.

ViveBene
December 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
On my back, Zoomers make me feel as though I'm shoveling with my feet. On my front, I worry about back injury (and the slightest malfit cuts the toes). I use them for a couple of rounds of kicking to speed the warmup of legs and feet. Will look in the toy chest for Tyr's split fins next time.
:)

rtodd
December 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
I use Zoomers for fly and long fins for kick sets.

Muppet
January 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM
I've started with training lessons on front- and butterfly-stroke. This passed thursday the butterflystroke was new to me. At the pool were only very large fins available. And it was my first experience with swimming fins. So I felt every muscle in my feet. Now I consider to buy a pair of Speedo Biofuse Training Fins to train the dolphin kick.
Off course it's marketing talk, but I read Michael Phelps is training with the Speedo Biofuse's below. Nice, but I like to hear some experience here with these fins at the front- and especially the butterfly-stroke. So, who has experience with these fins?
BUMP! :bump:

I was looking into buying some of these Speedo Biofuse Fins as well (Link: official page on speedousa.com (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3620528)) and was also interested in hearing from anyone who has used these. Most of the comments I could find elsewhere were about sizing.

Swimmy
January 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
Muppet,
They look pretty cool! Thought you did not like fins.... Or do you just think I should not where mine? haha
I love my Tyr split fins.......
:cheerleader:

Sylvia
January 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM
I would highly recommend the Slim Fins. Just do a google search on them. They are spendy but well worth it. Of course, you would buy the ones specifically designed for swimming vs. scuba diving.

Muppet
January 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM
Oh Swimmy, I mostly just like to give you a hard time! I think fins have their place in a workout.

My main reason for not liking them is that aside from the now-obsolete fins that were actually size 10-11, of which we at one time had THREE pairs in the fin bin, i haven't met a pair of fins that fit. Most everything around that size is too small (9-11) or too big (11-13)!

I am inquiring about them so that I am setting a good example and have all my toys for the times I get to swim with the kiddos. As a coach, it would be hypocritical of me to kick a kid out of practice if they don't have their stuff when I show up with nothing.

pwolf66
January 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am inquiring about them so that I am setting a good example and have all my toys for the times I get to swim with the kiddos. As a coach, it would be hypocritical of me to kick a kid out of practice if they don't have their stuff when I show up with nothing.

OUCH. You kick them out???? That's rough. Heck, I just tell them they have to suck it up and go without. And that they get to go last. That really works with the boys. They HATE going last. And odds are after the first time they do a long body position kick set without fins going dead last, they don't forget those fins.

BR KnuckleDragger
January 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
BUMP! :bump:

I was looking into buying some of these Speedo Biofuse Fins as well (Link: official page on speedousa.com (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3620528)) and was also interested in hearing from anyone who has used these. Most of the comments I could find elsewhere were about sizing.

Anyone have experience with these Speedo Biofuse? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on here? Are the Tyr split fins good fins?

I've been using zoomers for two years and didn't realize i had some choices.

Please someone "smart" and "fast" lead me by the hand and tell me what to purchase; my kicking is hideous

ande
January 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
I see many different kind of fins at practice (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=592)
several have the biofuse

Leslie seems to have a love affair with her Monofin (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=395)

BR KnuckleDragger
January 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I see many different kind of fins at practice (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=592)
several have the biofuse

Leslie seems to have a love affair with her Monofin (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=395)

It doesn't seem like the biofuse is any bigger than the zoomers??? can someone comment?

lynnwa
January 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Love the Zura fins!

Swimmy
January 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Oh Swimmy, I mostly just like to give you a hard time! I think fins have their place in a workout.

My main reason for not liking them is that aside from the now-obsolete fins that were actually size 10-11, of which we at one time had THREE pairs in the fin bin, i haven't met a pair of fins that fit. Most everything around that size is too small (9-11) or too big (11-13)!

Haha! Clearly I am at a disadvantage, because I don't have giant feet like you, Muppet. I would wear a 5 in men's.
:cheerleader: