PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Swim Cap

Glenn
September 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
OK, with tech suits going the way of the Dodo bird I am looking at other ways to reduce drag. I have never been one to use a swim cap, but now it might be one of the only legal things left.

I know, I know, I should shave down for the big meet........and I may have to do that, but in the meantime, we have the latex cap which seems to wrinkle on top, the silicone cap and the racing cap.

I don't care about the manufacturer, but I would like to hear some feedback on the different types of caps as listed above and how well they work for you.

Thank you all!!!

Glenn

lefty
September 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
OK, with tech suits going the way of the Dodo bird I am looking at other ways to reduce drag. I have never been one to use a swim cap, but now it might be one of the only legal things left.

I know, I know, I should shave down for the big meet........and I may have to do that, but in the meantime, we have the latex cap which seems to wrinkle on top, the silicone cap and the racing cap.

I don't care about the manufacturer, but I would like to hear some feedback on the different types of caps as listed above and how well they work for you.

Thank you all!!!

Glenn

Sorry I lost track which tip it is (#54567 perhaps) but Ande has a section on racing caps. But basically what it comes down to is that racing caps really do work. After he posted it several people chimed in that they really like them. What do they cost, $30 (i really don't know)? Give it a shot!

jessicafk11
September 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I like silicone caps since they last longer than latex for me since I have long hair, but other than that I haven't noticed too much difference in what type you get. Most are not too expensive, so you could try a couple different ones to see what feels good to you.

Allen Stark
September 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I wear a latex cap and then the racing cap over that.The cap stays on better that way.They only cost about $15 and do make a difference.

Glenn
September 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Lefty,

I found Ande's tip #202 on caps. Thanks!!

Glenn

pwb
September 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I never wore a cap racing until I read Ande's recommendation on the Speedo Aqua V silicone cap last fall (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3191809&view=all&cp=3124326.3128423.3132045.3132061). I bought this in Nov '08 and have been wearing it in every meet since then. It is super smooth, goes on very easily and I've seen no degradation in fit since getting it.

ande
September 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Swim Faster Faster Tip 228 is V-lieve it or Not

I'd go further to say it's a good idea to have short hair, wet hair is weight.
Caps hold hair.
Caps trap heat.
Caps can conceal goggle straps. Straps under Caps.
Some swimmers wear 2 caps, usually a latex cap under an Aqua V

Latex caps, are thin.

Silicone caps are thicker.

I prefer the aqua V for Sprints because it has fewer wrinkles.

I don't like to wear a cap in warm water or on long swims, I keep cooler without a cap.
Some swimmers shave their heads for BIG meets.

Glenn
September 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks all for the great tips. I think I'll give the racing cap a try!:banana:

Swimmy83843
September 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Are caps faster that a shaved head? The only advantage of using a cap with a shaved head is to have the goggle straps beneth the cap. How big of an advantage would that be?

orca1946
September 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
silicone caps are the best for long lasting & big hair.