PDA

View Full Version : Places to Swim on/near Las Vegas Strip?

Steve Ruiter
September 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Heading to Vegas on business next week. Previously I've rented a car and driven ~5-10 miles to a USMS workout there. Thats not likely to happen this time. I'm still hopeful that there is someplace on or near the strip (near Mandalay?) that will suffice for not losing all feel for the water for a few days.

Any local knowledge out there? Anything outdoors open in October?

One of these days I'm going to write an iphone app to locate the nearest lappable swimming pool to any zip code, or add the feature to a GPS unit...

Thanks

Steve

pwb
September 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I've always done the drive to Desert Breeze to swim with Coach Vic / Las Vegas Masters -- always worth the drive.

Check out www.swimmersguide.com, though, as it'll likely show which hotels have lap pools.

jessicafk11
September 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I was recently in Vegas and wasn't able to find anything on the strip. UNLV is nearby though, maybe they have a pool? I am there a lot so I'd be interested in hearing if you find anything actually on the strip.

Bobinator
October 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM
I always stay at the MGM. They have a large pool complex with at least 3 lap lanes. The pool is longer than 25 meters, but shorter than 50 meters. Probably around 40 yards. The gutters are a bit strange but it was fine for a workout! :applaud:

aquageek
October 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
You should PM Paul Smith, he goes there a lot and will know the teams and times.

pwb
October 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've always done the drive to Desert Breeze to swim with Coach Vic / Las Vegas Masters -- always worth the drive.

This is the team I always swim with: http://members.cox.net/lvswim/. Again, not on the strip, but close enough if you have a car. Don't try taking cabs there; I did it that once and it was expensive.

Paul Smith
October 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
There are 2 very good clubs in Vegas if you want a coached workout, niether
is on the strip.

Vic's club at Desert Breeze (west side of town) has a very strong group and Vic is a great coach with a lot of character (he used to be the UNLV coach).

On the east side of town (Henderson) you have the Lowry group...another very good team wth more triathletes than Vic's...more info here:
http://www.lowerysmultisport.com/

There is a 50m public pool in north Vegas but it is in a REALLY bad part of town so I don't usually tell people to go up there.

By the way, for those of you who are fellow road warriors you should look into a membership at 24 Hour Fitness. They have a large number of clubs nationwide and the vast majority have decent 25yd pools...

Steve Ruiter
October 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm going to see what I can do w/o a car staying near Mandalay Bay on the company nickel. The concierge says that the outdoor hotel pools will still be open. I'm setting my expectations very low.

Doug Adamavich
October 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I'll vouch for Desert Breeze, nice indoor 50M pool. Did a meet there this past June. Pool was deep and the facility is nice. Recommended.