PDA

View Full Version : October Gridge Thread

That Guy
October 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Who's going to BAMfest (http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/entry_form/2009/2009_10_10_BAMFest.pdf) on Bainbridge Island next week? I entered all the events that involve butterfly, and also the 100 back. Who among you can defeat me?
Other than Jazz in the 50 fly... and sometimes Knelson in the 200 IM... and most of the general population in the 100 IM? WHO AMONG YOU, I ASK???

Allen Stark
October 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
the next day(Oct 11) I'll swim the 50& 100 fly(& 100 BR) at a SCM Meet in Lincoln City.If the formats were reversed so you swam SCM while I swam SCY I think I could beat you(head to head in fly,no way,and I'm not sure I could beat you SCY to SCM in the 100.BR sure,I'll take you on.)

That Guy
October 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
I will be at the SCM meet (http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/entry_form/2009/2009_11_22_NWMscm.pdf)in November on Whidbey Island. That's an interesting gridge... do you have any SCY meets coming up?

knelson
October 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM
and sometimes Knelson in the 200 IM...

I can guarantee you will prevail this time because I won't be there! :)

Thought about entering, but my training was pretty sparse in September. I don't think it would be worth the ferry fare for me.

Jazz Hands
October 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I may or may not have beaten you in the 50 fly, but we'll never know, since I recently abandoned Real Washington for Other Washington.

aquageek
October 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I may or may not have beaten you in the 50 fly, but we'll never know, since I recently abandoned Real Washington for Other Washington.

You need intensive gridging lessons from your new East Coast buddies. This barely qualifies as a gridgelette.

Be careful about gridging the moderator, he is a vindictive mean person, a mad angry ball of hate.

TRYM_Swimmer
October 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
You need intensive gridging lessons from your new East Coast buddies. This barely qualifies as a gridgelette.

Be careful about gridging the moderator, he is a vindictive mean person, a mad angry ball of hate.

Yes, we'll have to see about this if you come to Raleigh next April for the NC Champs.

aquageek
October 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yes, we'll have to see about this if you come to Raleigh next April for the NC Champs.

You sand fleas don't frighten us.

That Guy
October 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I recently abandoned Real Washington for Other Washington.

Funny, I did the exact opposite!

pwolf66
October 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Who's going to BAMfest (http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/entry_form/2009/2009_10_10_BAMFest.pdf) on Bainbridge Island next week? I entered all the events that involve butterfly, and also the 100 back. Who among you can defeat me?
Other than Jazz in the 50 fly... and sometimes Knelson in the 200 IM... and most of the general population in the 100 IM? WHO AMONG YOU, I ASK???

I'm swimming the 50 Fly and 100 IM on the 25th so I'll take the challenge.

That Guy
October 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I will post my times here to strike fear in your heart and/or make you laugh

That Guy
October 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It's looking pretty good for pwolf in this gridge. Official results aren't posted yet, but the scoreboard said I went 1:03.16 100 IM and 26.83 50 fly for a bizarre total of 1:29.99. Now it's time for everyone's favorite game show, Litany Of Excuses!!!

I'm tired from several weeks of hard training
Piranhas bit my feet during warmup
I was abducted by aliens for 8 seconds during the breaststroke leg
I misplaced my roids
Ding Ding Ding!!! "I misplaced my roids" is the winner! Johnny, what do we have for our departing contestants? :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

tjrpatt
October 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Ding Ding Ding!!! "I misplaced my roids" is the winner! Johnny, what do we have for our departing contestants? :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

I just hate when that happens!

pwolf66
October 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
It's looking pretty good for pwolf in this gridge. Official results aren't posted yet, but the scoreboard said I went 1:03.16 100 IM and 26.83 50 fly for a bizarre total of 1:29.99. Now it's time for everyone's favorite game show, Litany Of Excuses!!!

I'm tired from several weeks of hard training
Piranhas bit my feet during warmup
I was abducted by aliens for 8 seconds during the breaststroke leg
I misplaced my roids

Hmm, I smell blood in the water. Hopefully I don't jinx myself here but I need to have a total that's 3.5 seconds slower than my PBs and it's in the bag, oh look, I'm probably going to have a massive cramp on the 100 IM start now.

Allen Stark
October 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I have to bail on the Oct meet,my wife is giving a seminar this weekend and wants me there.No planned meets til Dec at SPMA.
That Guy,you should consider that meet,really big and really fast and you can probably get a pretty good price on airfares from Seattle to Long Beach

That Guy
October 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
At this point I'm planning to taper for the November Oak Harbor SCM meet, but I will look into SPMA and see if it's feasible. Thanks Allen!

bergsteiger
October 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hope you had fun at the Bainbridge Island swim meet. That's where I went to high school. Played water polo and swam there :)

The Fortress
October 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have to bail on the Oct meet,my wife is giving a seminar this weekend and wants me there.No planned meets til Dec at SPMA.
That Guy,you should consider that meet,really big and really fast and you can probably get a pretty good price on airfares from Seattle to Long Beach

Thanks to Allen's encouragement of my pathetic evilstroke, SwimStud and I are going head to head in the 50 evil at the Sprint Classic on Oct. 25.

SwimStud
October 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks to Allen's encouragement of my pathetic evilstroke, SwimStud and I are going head to head in the 50 evil at the Sprint Classic on Oct. 25.

Hmm, but a true match involves you forgoing your buoyancy device and growing copious amounts of body hair...

The Fortress
October 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm, but a true match involves you forgoing your buoyancy device and growing copious amounts of body hair...

And you would have to shrink your heart and lungs and height to my size ...

I VILL NOT give up my "magic" suit. It is now well established that I would likely drown without it and I don't want to spoil such a fine and well-conceived meet.

SwimStud
October 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
And you would have to shrink your heart and lungs and height to my size ...

Nooooooooooooo, you got the age 12-20 training years in there that I didn't...that all equals out!

Allen Stark
October 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Can we get a video of this epic contest.

pwolf66
October 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Any chance I could get a piece of that action? I'll spot you both three seconds.

thewookiee
October 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Any chance I could get a piece of that action? I'll spot you both three seconds.

You may want to rethink that idea when it comes to Allen and breastroke

Speedo
October 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah really. We're talking about breaststroke, right? I'll need a handicap- how about just multiply my unofficial 25 x 2?

That Guy
October 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
It's looking pretty good for pwolf in this gridge. Official results aren't posted yet, but the scoreboard said I went 1:03.16 100 IM and 26.83 50 fly for a bizarre total of 1:29.99.

Official results are up and it's good news for pwolf. My 50 fly time was actually 27.07 so the overall time to beat is 1:30.23.

http://bainbridgeaquaticmasters.org/documents/BAMmeets/2009/BAMFest2009Results.pdf

swimshark
October 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM

What times are you all going for?

SwimStud
October 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM
What times are you all going for?

Me? Faster than Fort.

Alison we have the 100 IM straight up. :chug:

The Fortress
October 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM

In 50 evil? You're on! Please recall that it was at this meet that Chris Stevenson christened you Wolf Girl after the 50 fly results. :bolt:

Allen,

Stud and I will be in separate heats, as men and women swim separately at this meet. Stud is very arrogant and thinks that just because he does mega evilstroke yardage in practice he can take me. hahaha

pwolf66
October 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
In 50 evil? You're on! Please recall that it was at this meet that Chris Stevenson christened you Wolf Girl after the 50 fly results. :bolt:

WHAT-evah. By a stinking 4 HUNDREDTHS of a second.

I'd offer a challenge to you of best under seed but.......... <searches for the sandbagger icon>

pwolf66
October 13th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Official results are up and it's good news for pwolf. My 50 fly time was actually 27.07 so the overall time to beat is 1:30.23.

http://bainbridgeaquaticmasters.org/documents/BAMmeets/2009/BAMFest2009Results.pdf

Thanks for not setting the bar too low. Now to make sure I'm well hydrated to avoid any unwanted cramping at the start.

thewookiee
October 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for not setting the bar too low. Now to make sure I'm well hydrated to avoid any unwanted cramping at the start.

It's not the cramping you should be worried about at the start. It's getting to the start

swimshark
October 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Me? Faster than Fort.

Alison we have the 100 IM straight up. :chug:

Hm.. I'll have to go with girl power here, Rich. Sorry.

Allen Stark
October 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Stud and I will be in separate heats, as men and women swim separately at this meet. Stud is very arrogant and thinks that just because he does mega evilstroke yardage in practice he can take me. hahaha

Maybe you can get split screen playback so we can really see who rules.

That Guy
October 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Hey pwolf, how did it go?

pwolf66
October 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hey pwolf, how did it go?

1:26.28 (1:00.55 IM and 25.73 50 Fly) so I think :dedhorse:

Hats off to Swimstud for laying the beatdown in our Gridge in the 50 Breast. I went 31.20 (+3 for handicap) for a 34.20 total but Stud ripped off a 33-high to :dedhorse: me like a rented mule. Great job, Stud!!!!!

but on a happier note: I took care of business on Fort, 34.20 versus her 34.8 something. :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

Allen Stark
October 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
1:26.28 (1:00.55 IM and 25.73 50 Fly) so I think :dedhorse:

Hats off to Swimstud for laying the beatdown in our Gridge in the 50 Breast. I went 31.20 (+3 for handicap) for a 34.20 total but Stud ripped off a 33-high to :dedhorse: me like a rented mule. Great job, Stud!!!!!

but on a happier note: I took care of business on Fort, 34.20 versus her 34.8 something. :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

31.2,WOW,great swim.

That Guy
October 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Great job! :chug:

pwolf66
October 26th, 2009, 06:25 AM
31.2,WOW,great swim.

Thanks, Allen, coming from you that definately means a lot.

Just saw the video tho and my turnover looked more like a 100 race. Why is it we think we're going fast but we're really not? Gotta get that stroke rate up.

qbrain
October 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Just saw the video tho and my turnover looked more like a 100 race. Why is it we think we're going fast but we're really not? Gotta get that stroke rate up.

Yeah, get that stroke rate up for the 200 free too. Try to maintain your 50 free stroke rate. Maybe try your 50 free breathing pattern too.

The Fortress
October 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
but on a happier note: I took care of business on Fort.

I got totally owned! Great job on a masters PB, Wolfy. That'll teach me to gridge on the evil. :afraid:

pwolf66
October 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah, get that stroke rate up for the 200 free too. Try to maintain your 50 free stroke rate. Maybe try your 50 free breathing pattern too.

You...are not being helpful. Nor funny, nor witty, nor....

What was I saying??

Oh yeah.

You're going down.

SwimStud
October 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Also Turns out Muppet and
I were adjacent lanes for the 50, here is vid: YouTube - MVI 1035
Muppet lane1 me lane 2

This tight race certainly pushed me sub 34...maybe with a shave I win or tie this gridge...lol
Just don't call me Vince!

qbrain
October 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
You...are not being helpful. Nor funny, nor witty, nor....

Now that we have the obvious out of the way.

You're going down.

We shall see ye of few future meets.

pwolf66
October 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Now that we have the obvious out of the way.

We shall see ye of few future meets.

True that. It's a lot easier to talk than do. Hopefully my do will be better than your do :D

swimshark
October 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I were adjacent lanes for the 50, here is vid: YouTube - MVI 1035 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNqbMx6QqY)
Muppet lane1 me lane 2

This tight race certainly pushed me sub 34...maybe with a shave I win or tie this gridge...lol

Hey Vince... good race against the muppet. Maybe a smaller suit would help you go a bit faster :bolt:

Allen Stark
October 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I were adjacent lanes for the 50, here is vid: YouTube - MVI 1035 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNqbMx6QqY)
Muppet lane1 me lane 2

Good swim.You lift your head too much the first breath off the pullout on both the start and turn(and also on the second stroke off the start.)I can't be sure,but I think you may go faster with a wider pull.
Muppet,you looked really smooth with good undulation.

Allen Stark
October 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Post the video so we can admire(or offer advice.)

qbrain
October 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Or heckle.

pwolf66
October 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM

YouTube - swimming sprint classic 003.avi

Please no comments on the intial pullout. I brain farted on it.

Allen Stark
October 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
There are 2 relatively big things I see that would really speed you up.Your pull is too narrow and you are not getting a good EVF(in fact you lead with your elbows the whole time.)Work on getting your hands out further while keeping your elbows near the surface at all times.The second problem is that you are recovering your feet with your knees outside your feet.This breaks streamline unnecessarily.Then you keep your knees outside your feet for the beginning of the kick which gives less power.Try the drill where you swim breaststroke with a kickboard between your knees.If you correct these you will be really fast.

qbrain
October 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
There are 2 relatively big things I see that would really speed you up.

Having a pull and having a kick. :applaud: Thank you, thank you.

SwimStud
October 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Good swim.You lift your head too much the first breath off the pullout on both the start and turn(and also on the second stroke off the start.)I can't be sure,but I think you may go faster with a wider pull.
Muppet,you looked really smooth with good undulation.

Thanks Allen, Yeah I remember that I didn't punch my hips forward properly so probably looked up a bit. I couldn't really tell in the vid though...but you have a btter eye for that than me. Will have to get a coach to look at my pull. Still, a PB for me so the stroke changes I made at least didn't hurt.

pwolf66
October 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
There are 2 relatively big things I see that would really speed you up.Your pull is too narrow and you are not getting a good EVF(in fact you lead with your elbows the whole time.)Work on getting your hands out further while keeping your elbows near the surface at all times.The second problem is that you are recovering your feet with your knees outside your feet.This breaks streamline unnecessarily.Then you keep your knees outside your feet for the beginning of the kick which gives less power.Try the drill where you swim breaststroke with a kickboard between your knees.If you correct these you will be really fast.

When you say 'lead with the elbows' you are referring to exactly what? Am I getting my hands too far inside in relation to my elbows? I'm not quite understanding.

Yeah, I see what you are referring to on my kick, ugh. That's not pretty.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

pwolf66
October 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Having a pull and having a kick. :applaud: Thank you, thank you.

Hmm, looking to get the smackdown in ANOTHER stroke???? :rofl:

Put up or shut up. :blah: :blah:

qbrain
October 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hmm, looking to get the smackdown in ANOTHER stroke???? :rofl:

Put up or shut up. :blah: :blah:

Doh, I better shut up on this one. They don't bother to use the second hand when I swim breaststroke.

JimRude
October 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
When you say 'lead with the elbows' you are referring to exactly what? Am I getting my hands too far inside in relation to my elbows? I'm not quite understanding.

Have a look at this breast video:

http://www.globsport.org/swim_power_test.htm

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Have a look at this breast video:

http://www.globsport.org/swim_power_test.htm

Thanks for posting this up JR -
You had a SwimMetrics session in Indy right?
How is your followup work going?

Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas really has some amazing tools to improve technique. Even watching another swimmer's footage and the critique will help most anyone find places to improve.
This link shows all 4 strokes.
Everyone should check it out.

Allen Stark
October 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM

You know about dropped elbows in free.You have a similar problem in BR.

JimRude
October 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for posting this up JR -
You had a SwimMetrics session in Indy right?
How is your followup work going?

Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas really has some amazing tools to improve technique. Even watching another swimmer's footage and the critique will help most anyone find places to improve.
This link shows all 4 strokes.
Everyone should check it out.

Basically, a total makeover of my BR. Changing hand pitch, changing arm position, changing kick timing. The recommendations all make sense and the stroke doesn't fee TOO weird, given that it's the first change I've ever made. But the test will be Atlanta in May 2010.