PDA

View Full Version : Winter Outdoor Swimwear (Ladies)

Georgio
October 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
A lady I swim with doesn't like cold water. We both plan to swim through our first winter outdoors in a "heated" pool maybe 80 deg. on a good day.

What kind of suit could someone recommend for her?:cheerleader:

I don't know, I may be asking for me too in a few weeks! :anim_coffee:
Thanks,
Georgio

qbrain
October 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a decent use of one of the full body suits that should now be on sale. In addition, I would recommend a synthetic fiber parka (probably most parkas) that can be left pool side and not absorb water and some ugg like shoes/boots to hop into as soon as you are out of the pool.

orca1946
October 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
LOts of long arm & leg suits are now on sale because of their ban in meets.

Georgio
October 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
The long tech type suits occurred to me...but I have no idea if they retain much body warmth. My first thought was a 2mm shorty open arm wet suit to keep the core warm.:bolt:

geochuck
October 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
80 degrees is warm no need for anything special. I only wore briefs in 60 degree water and they were fine. The swim club in Fergus Ontario trained all winter in their outdoor pool and everyone used regular swim suits, nothing special.

qbrain
October 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
The long tech type suits occurred to me...but I have no idea if they retain much body warmth. My first thought was a 2mm shorty open arm wet suit to keep the core warm.:bolt:

In the water you will be fine, it is getting in and out that will suck.

Bobinator
October 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I felt like my Blue Seventy Nero kept me warmer than a regular swim suit would have in the seventy degree waters of Lake Michigan. They probably will be cheap pretty soon. I'm not sure about the durability issue if using it for a training suit.

gigi
October 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
80 degrees is perfect pool temp. Wear a nice thick terry robe to pool-side, fling it off like a boxing champ, swim, then feel the cozy goodness as you scoot back to the locker room. Have fun. Wish I could swim outdoors year-round

Georgio
October 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
"Wish I could swim outdoors year-round", well that's the great thing about Florida that you can be outside all year round without worry about frostbite and why most of us moved here (there are practically no natives).....we haven't done it yet but there are at least 4 of us (in addition to the high school team) that plan to swim this winter.

I think that a "bodyskin" type suit would be appropriate....it would at least keep some wind off her on the worst days. I think that any kind of neophrene type wetsuit would hold too much water and slow her to a snail pace. :badday:

cantwait4bike
October 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Last winter while swimming early morning in an San Diego outdoor pool with water temp 77-79F and air temps in the low 40F's, I used the Desoto T1 First Wave Top piece (it's the only two piece wetsuit for tri's). Just perfect!! Easy on, easy off/thin neoprene. Kept the core temp up especially during long workouts.No more teeth chattering waiting for coach to bark out next sets. Of course be prepared to get the "your a wimp" looks from all the swimmers with the high percent body fats....most of who wish they had one :)