PDA

View Full Version : No dice for Chicago '16

lefty
October 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Looks like Chicago is out of the running for the 2016 Olympics. I am bummed but not surprised. I had decided that I was going to go and watch if it wsa in Chicago. Has anyone attended a swim session at the Olympics (if you swam in one, that more than counts, but I am wondering about spectating!)?

orca1946
October 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
OK ,so it looks as if our crooks in office will have to find somebody else to rip off !!

knelson
October 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Rio will certainly provide a dramatic backdrop for the Games, and certainly SA deserves it having never hosted an Olympics before. I just hope Rio can handle the financial burden.

Leonard Jansen
October 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Looks like Chicago is out of the running for the 2016 Olympics. I am bummed but not surprised. I had decided that I was going to go and watch if it wsa in Chicago. Anyone attended a swim session at the Olympics before (if you swam in one, that more than counts, but I am wondering about spectating!)?

I didn't see any swimming, but I did see ALL of track and field (every heat and final) at the 1976 Olympics. Also some volleyball and (ugh) field hockey. It cost us a total of about $300 for all those tickets for me and my girlfriend. We also camped out at a campground - nothing fancy, but it was cheap. I think we probaby spent $600 total for everything. Now, I'd have remortgage the house to do all that.

-LBJ

Frank Thompson
October 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
What I am surprised at here is that Chicago got knocked out in the first round and was the 4th choice of the IOC to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090930/OLY.2016.Bids/

aquageek
October 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
The selection cmte read the mean spirited comments about the Big Shoulders winner and figured that was contrary to the Olympic spirit. Way to go Lefty!

qbrain
October 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
The IOC took into consideration FINA's swimsuit ban, and figured Rio was the ideal choice.

Ralph Lauren is designing a line of dental floss for 2016.

__steve__
October 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Rio might have a cool road race course.

SwimStud
October 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Somehow this has to be Obama's fault...right?

knelson
October 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM

Clearly. And if he wouldn't have gone to stump it would have been because he "hates America."

Allen Stark
October 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Billy Fanstone,I'm sorry!

Lump
October 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM

No, its cause the IOC is racist of course.:censor:

The Fortress
October 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
The IOC took into consideration FINA's swimsuit ban, and figured Rio was the ideal choice.

Ralph Lauren is designing a line of dental floss for 2016.

The dental floss will look better than those butt ugly LZRs they wore last time ...

knelson
October 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
The beach volleyball crowds should be interesting :)

One good thing about Rio getting the nod is they are fairly close to the US in latitude, so we've actually got a fighting chance of seeing events live. During our summer Rio is one hour ahead of US Eastern Daylight Time.

Couroboros
October 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
We would've had that even better with Chicago, but at least Rio is loads preferable to a Tokyo or Madrid time zone. Should give a nice little edge to our athletes, to not have to adjust as much as when they went to Beijing or when they'll go to London.

Rio '16... seven years away. I wonder if I can attend...

ehoch
October 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
I think the USOC needs to rethink the US citis they are proposing.

Madrid, Rio, Tokyo, Chicago --- If you take a poll of 1000 people from all around the world asking them to rank these places in terms where they would like to visit, I am certain Chicago would come in last every time. It's just not an international city.

I think Atlanta got very lucky in 1996, because other bidders did not go after the games thinking that Athens was a lock.

I think Miami, San Francisco and Los Angeles are the only US possibilities, but only if you also put together a blow out proposal.

Knightswimmer2
October 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I got the pleasure of being in Daley Plaza for the announcement, thanks to my company for giving me the half day to walk a couple of blocks to experience the craziness of the party. Ive never heard such a loud gasp from a group of people and newscasters struggle to even speak. They were not ready to hear Chicago get eliminated in the first round of voting. It would've been a great experience to have the Olympics in your hometown, but I doubt Chicago could handle it all. I am happy for Rio, I feel that they deserve it. The US has had Atlanta and Salt Lake, we def need to let the other nations/cities host. I wish Rio the best of luck.

knelson
October 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I think Miami, San Francisco and Los Angeles are the only US possibilities

What about New York? If London can win a bid, I don't know why NY couldn't. I do have to agree Chicago seemed to come up short compared to the other three this time in terms of overall appeal.

I thought this poll from ESPN was interesting:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?pollId=78847

The Fortress
October 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
What about New York? If London can win a bid, I don't know why NY couldn't. I do have to agree Chicago seemed to come up short compared to the other three this time in terms of overall appeal.

I thought this poll from ESPN was interesting:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?pollId=78847

Yeah, NY should be an option. Hard to see Chicago having a lot more crime than Rio though ...

qbrain
October 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I think Miami, San Francisco and Los Angeles are the only US possibilities, but only if you also put together a blow out proposal.

Have you been to LA?

I jest, I jest.

qbrain
October 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, NY should be an option. Hard to see Chicago having a lot more crime than Rio though ...

Maybe we need to bring back the election coverage :) After that, the world probably thinks Chicago is stacked with criminals from top to bottom.

orca1946
October 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Do they have shirts printed up yet?

ehoch
October 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
New York got killed last time around - not an Olympic type city....

KeithM
October 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
New York got killed last time around - not an Olympic type city.... Other bids have been steamrolled in the past only to come back and win. That vote had more to with timing and the political climate than the city. I think sentiment was against the US hosting it anywhere at the time of the bid process because of the recent winter games in Utah and the summer games in Atlanta the previous decade. Then there was the general antipathy towards Bush & Co. NY is the most cosmopolitan city and attracts more foreign tourists than anywhere in the US. It also not lacking in infrastructure/transportation/venues. What is your criteria for an "olympic type city?" NY and LA are both very viable options as far as American bids go. Miami and SF are debatable.

nyswimmer
October 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
New York got killed last time around - not an Olympic type city....

New York's bid fell apart about two weeks before the IOC met last time. It was based on building a huge stadium in Midtown Manhattan (a very controversial idea, to say the least). The organizers went ahead with the proposal before all the approvals and financing for the stadium were in place and then the state legislature killed it, without any time to come up with a workable Plan B.

But not too many people were shedding tears over the result. The bid wasn't overwhelmingly popular.

ehoch
October 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
But not too many people were shedding tears over the result. The bid wasn't overwhelmingly popular.

It's just my opinion - but this is part of the reason. New Yorkers are not exactly the most friendly people in the world :badday:

Also - yes, New York is the most international city in the world - BUT, the "heart of the games" would have to be in Manhattan - that would be difficult.

I think the USOC needs to start playing hardball and get together with the TV networks to make this happen - I read about anti-American issues within the IOC. Let's see how many billions that is really worth -- here is my proposal for 2020. NBC will pay $2 billion for the games in Rome (they are bidding - I guess), 1 billion for Africa, 1.5 billion for India ($1 for every Indian) and 5 billion for the games in Chicago ....

ehoch
October 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Here is what I found for 2020 - none really have a chance: When all else is even, consider that the IOC people will have to spend about a month in these places - a month in Detroit ???????

Several cities are either considering a bid or expected to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The United States Olympic Committee sponsors only one official bid to the International Olympic Committee.

Birmingham, Alabama
In June 2008, Birmingham mayor Larry Langford proposed that the city prepare a bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.[36][37]
Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is conducting feasibility studies for the greater New England region.[38]

Detroit, Michigan
Detroit has made the Summer Olympic Games' final bidding election more often than any other ultimately unsuccessful bid city, participating in IOC elections for the 1944 (3rd place, behind bid winner London), 1952 (5th place), 1956 (4th place), 1960 (3rd place), 1964 (2nd place), 1968 (2nd place) and 1972 (4th place) Games. (Los Angeles has more total bids with 9, but hosted twice) If accepted as the U.S. candidate by USOC, this would be the city's eighth bid. Lower crime figures as of 2007 bring hope to a possible revitalization of the city by the early 2010s, which would be improve Detroit's prospects for the USOC competition. Soft-drink manufacturer Faygo has stepped up its efforts as major sponsor. Successful events such as Super Bowl XL have showcased Detroit as a city accustomed to hosting supersized crowds.[39] Governor Granholm is working with Detroit's mayor on a possible bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.[40][41] Also proposed is a joint bid with Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
Legislation has been introduced in the Minnesota Legislature to create a task force to explore a 2020 Olympic bid for Minneapolis. The city's past Olympic bid history included unsuccessful bids in 1932, 1948, 1952 (when the city finished second to Helsinki to host the Summer Games), and 1956. The city also finished second to Atlanta as the U.S. bid city for the 1996 Summer Olympics. TCF Bank Stadium is expandable to 80,000 seats and will serve as Minneapolis's Olympic Stadium. [42]

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Tulsa's Olympic committee is considering putting a bid up for the city, comparing Tulsa to a Pre-Olympics Atlanta.[43]

Chicago, Illinois
Chicago will likely make a bid for the 2020 summer Olympics after a disappointing first round vote out in its bid for the 2016 games.

__steve__
October 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
:bow::oldman: maybe job security later on with a named memorial. Bet his wife made him do it LOL:D

Hell, Alaska would have been more interesting to the IOC.

Glenn
October 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Eric,

I beg to differ with you on your characterization of New Yorkers. True story. My wife was in Manhatten standing on the curb getting ready to cross the street. She stepped off the curb and from her left, down the street, came a guy on a bike yelling at the top of his lungs, "Get the f*^# outta the way!" My wife jumped back up onto the curb, and as the biker passed he said in a very sweet and demur voice, "thank you".

Now if that's not friendly, I don't know what is! :D

Couroboros
October 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the IOC wanted to give the Summer Games for '20 or '24 to an African city... maybe Nairobi will get it. Wouldn't Obama like that!

nyswimmer
October 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
It's just my opinion - but this is part of the reason. New Yorkers are not exactly the most friendly people in the world :badday:

Also - yes, New York is the most international city in the world - BUT, the "heart of the games" would have to be in Manhattan - that would be difficult.

The reason the bid wasn't especially popular was the location of the stadium in Midown Manhattan -- not any hostility toward visitors or the games. An 80-100,000 seat stadium in Midtown was widely considered a hare-brained idea (it would have cost $1Billion and it wouldn't have been useful after the games) It was difficult to separate that from the bid itself. The bid would have have had much more enthusiastic support if the stadium were in a different site, intially. But once the Midtown stadium was killed, the bid was effectively dead, since there was no real alternate plan.

new
October 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I have been in RIO and CHICAGO, and I think the first one is a lot more beautiful landscape, the beach, the cerro Pan de Azucar, the Maracana soccer stadium, and many other things makes me want to go there in 2016!!! the bad thing is that I don't think phelps is going to be there

lefty
October 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
The selection cmte read the mean spirited comments about the Big Shoulders winner and figured that was contrary to the Olympic spirit. Way to go Lefty!

I am completely unfamiliar with this. What is Big Shoulders? Was there some sort of issue that I need to know about?

Houston always says they are going to make a concerted effort to get the games. IT is obligatory if you want to win a mayoral election. A marathon in Houston in July. Winning time: 4 hours.

Jim B.
October 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I think Atlanta got very lucky in 1996, because other bidders did not go after the games thinking that Athens was a lock.

I bet that Coca Cola had some influence there.

As for Chicago, the last thing any city in the US needs now is to spend 14 billion dollars on sports facilities.

geminidragonizer
October 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM

Also - yes, New York is the most international city in the world - BUT, the "heart of the games" would have to be in Manhattan - that would be difficult

Au contraire, mon frere. As a native New Yorker, we are very friendly people. Just ask any one of us and we'll tell you the same. (But not investment bankers. They're evil. Yeah, I said it!)

As to point 2, Manhattan has a huge network of mass transportation, tons of hotels and excellent amenities to boot. So I don't think it would be any more difficult than say having it in LA where 1) you must drive to get anywhere and 2) on any given day driving one mile could mean sitting in traffic for 2 hours. Sure, jumping in a Manhattan cab could mean your life, but you'll at least get to the hospital faster.

And Chicago... REALLY? Didn't Blagojevic and Burris taint that place the place formerly known as Obamatopia? Then again, perhaps they couldn't get the bid because they cleaned up the corruption laden state.

swimshark
October 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Here is what I found for 2020 - none really have a chance: When all else is even, consider that the IOC people will have to spend about a month in these places - a month in Detroit ???????

Several cities are either considering a bid or expected to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The United States Olympic Committee sponsors only one official bid to the International Olympic Committee.

Birmingham, Alabama
In June 2008, Birmingham mayor Larry Langford proposed that the city prepare a bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.[36][37]
Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is conducting feasibility studies for the greater New England region.[38]

Detroit, Michigan
Detroit has made the Summer Olympic Games' final bidding election more often than any other ultimately unsuccessful bid city, participating in IOC elections for the 1944 (3rd place, behind bid winner London), 1952 (5th place), 1956 (4th place), 1960 (3rd place), 1964 (2nd place), 1968 (2nd place) and 1972 (4th place) Games. (Los Angeles has more total bids with 9, but hosted twice) If accepted as the U.S. candidate by USOC, this would be the city's eighth bid. Lower crime figures as of 2007 bring hope to a possible revitalization of the city by the early 2010s, which would be improve Detroit's prospects for the USOC competition. Soft-drink manufacturer Faygo has stepped up its efforts as major sponsor. Successful events such as Super Bowl XL have showcased Detroit as a city accustomed to hosting supersized crowds.[39] Governor Granholm is working with Detroit's mayor on a possible bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.[40][41] Also proposed is a joint bid with Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
Legislation has been introduced in the Minnesota Legislature to create a task force to explore a 2020 Olympic bid for Minneapolis. The city's past Olympic bid history included unsuccessful bids in 1932, 1948, 1952 (when the city finished second to Helsinki to host the Summer Games), and 1956. The city also finished second to Atlanta as the U.S. bid city for the 1996 Summer Olympics. TCF Bank Stadium is expandable to 80,000 seats and will serve as Minneapolis's Olympic Stadium. [42]

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Tulsa's Olympic committee is considering putting a bid up for the city, comparing Tulsa to a Pre-Olympics Atlanta.[43]

Chicago, Illinois
Chicago will likely make a bid for the 2020 summer Olympics after a disappointing first round vote out in its bid for the 2016 games.

:confused: Wow, those are all really bad cities to be bidding on the games. I'd love to see Seattle or SF bid. Although out of that list, Boston would be my top choice, since I was born there (but I grew up in NY thank you). Now my dad grew up in Rio :) My parents are planning on taking all of us (2 kids, 2 sons in laws and my son) to Brazil - Rio and other cities, once my son is old enough to handle the trip. Hm.. he'll be old enough in 2016!!

fanstone
October 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I will be paying for the Rio Olympics, I mean that literally. Somehow big Brazilian government ends up subsidizing all this stuff. New, let's start learning a few basics. We speak Portuguese in Brazil, so it is not "cerro" but "monte", PŃo de Ašucar (sugar loaf). From the tourist point of view, Rio is probably the most beautiful city in the world. I hope they clean up the lake in town for the rowing and other stuff, and the bay for the sailing. The swimming facilities built for the Pan-American games were state of the art, until Beijing came up. billy fanstone (safely 1000 miles away from Rio)

ViveBene
October 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
I will be paying for the Rio Olympics, I mean that literally. Somehow big Brazilian government ends up subsidizing all this stuff. New, let's start learning a few basics. We speak Portuguese in Brazil, so it is not "cerro" but "monte", PŃo de Ašucar (sugar loaf). From the tourist point of view, Rio is probably the most beautiful city in the world. I hope they clean up the lake in town for the rowing and other stuff, and the bay for the sailing. The swimming facilities built for the Pan-American games were state of the art, until Beijing came up. billy fanstone (safely 1000 miles away from Rio)

You have my sympathies. Perhaps buying a few shares in Rosetta Stone could help offset the guaranteed out-of-pocket payments for the Olympics?

Chicago didn't really know how it was going to pay for the Olympics. The city schools are a mess, and the most effective education chief in years was drafted by the president to go to Washington. That was a blow. The economically fragile - poor and already displaced - were to be displaced once more by digging up dedicated parkland to build stadia. And there seemed to be an assumption that Mayor for Life would be mayor in 2016; businesses have shown reluctance to buy city bonds when a certain family's tenure in that seat was temporarily disrupted. Chicago historically puts on a good show, witness the various world fairs, but needs to get its act together on crime, education, funding the chronically underfunded state pension system, care of the mentally ill, replacing aging and structurally deficient infrastructure, and a few other things. Prior to the Olympic Committee's visit, we got told to show some Olympic spirit. It would have been thrilling to watch tall cranes on the horizon for 7 years and the harbors taken out of use and reconfigured and who knows what-all else, but few thinking people are truly disappointed, altho' some businesses (chiefly construction-related) had been hoping mightily for an uptick. Make no small plans.... I suppose the exercise was good, particularly as it kept on the front page deficiencies that can't be well hidden behind flower plantings on median strips. And Chicago will try again, sans doute.
:)

SwimStud
October 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
...All I know is that I need a new excus to visit Chicago Bang-bang!

KeithM
October 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
I
I think the USOC needs to start playing hardball and get together with the TV networks to make this happen - I read about anti-American issues within the IOC. Let's see how many billions that is really worth -- here is my proposal for 2020. NBC will pay $2 billion for the games in Rome (they are bidding - I guess), 1 billion for Africa, 1.5 billion for India ($1 for every Indian) and 5 billion for the games in Chicago .... I really hope NBC doesn't renew or gets outbid. I'd like the Olympics to get picked up by ABC/ESPN networks. I really dislike NBC's formatting, chopping, plausibly live edited delays, and sob stories. ABC knew how to cover the Olympics back in the day.

geochuck
October 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Chicago - I sure hate driving through Chicago. Big traffic delays.

ehoch
October 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
There were 10,000 people in Chicago waiting for the result of the vote ...

and 1 million in Rio :applaud:

KeithM
October 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
That's a lot of port-a-potties.

orca1946
October 5th, 2009, 12:18 AM
The Cubs will win before Chi town gets it !!