PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay to swim?

knelson
October 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm curious how much everyone pays to swim on a monthly basis. The team I used to swim with had to stop due to the University of Washington swim team being cut. We were getting both our pool time and coaches from them. However, the pool is still operating, but now under the intramural department. We're trying to regroup and rent the pool from them, but may need to revise the fee structure.

I'll put up a poll in case anyone wishes to remain anonymous, but I'd really like to know how much you pay per month and how many practice sessions per week that amount gives you access to. Also, please mention if there are any one-time or annual fees to be a member of the team, etc. Another useful piece of info would be how much your pool rental is, if you know. Thanks for your help!

Georgio
October 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm swimming at the local high school pool for $30.00/mo. Hours are M-F 4:45 - 6:00pm, and Mon. & Wed 5:30 - 6:30am. :2cents:

knelson
October 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Is that for a coached workout or just lap swim?

Georgio
October 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
You can have it either way. There are usually 2 or 3 coaches present. A couple of us "lap" swimmers are transitioning into interval training. We figure, if you're going to go to all the effort, why not capitalize on proven training methods. :bolt:

swimshark
October 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm in a bit of a different situation since I swim for an age group team. I pay $208 per month. If I were to swim for the local master practice it would be $45 a month if I were a member of the pool and $60 if I were not.

aquageek
October 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
$35/month and that includes 3 early morning, 2 midmorning and 3 coached practices a week. Since we have two kids in the program there is no annual fee. If you don't have kids in the program I think the annual fee is $400 or $450 in addition to the monthly dues.

My previous team was $10/month for 3 coached workouts/week but that was at the Y, which also carries a $93/month family membership price tag.

qbrain
October 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Master's MWF coached 75 minute practice: $35/month (15-20 minutes away)
Tolls to get to Master's pool: $24/month
Lifetime solo: $50/month (5 minutes away at 4:30am)

I think we are MWF because the coach doesn't want to get up at 4am more often than that. At that pool, there isn't an issue of pool space.

DolphinGirl
October 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I pay $60/month and it covers as many practices as you want to make and he has practices every day

Calvin S
October 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I pay 45/month. thats the cost to swim with the masters program on my team. they train M-F 5:30-7 (or somewhere there abouts). I swim with the club team in the national level group, whose dues normally run 125/month. I think i get a pretty sweet deal.

I assume the poll was not including meet fees though? I run up a tab on meet fees swimming in 8-10 usa meets a year.

etrain
October 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
$65 for 6 months, so $130 a year!

etrain

RuffWater
October 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Team??? I wish.

knelson
October 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Wow, some of you guys are getting amazing deals. I figured $50 would be a bare minimum for a team that works out at least five days per week.

joel schmaltz
October 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Our team really just got organized this month. As a member of the fitness center I pay $20 a month for four coached practices. I think non-members pay $35. No annual fee either. Very reasonable!!

orca1946
October 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
We must join the park district for $ 195 / yr ,then it's $35 for the team. Our coach does not take any pay. I collect from the team for a gift at the end of the season.

fanstone
October 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
In Brazil, away from big cities such as São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro, where a swimming pool at a health club might cost a lot. I pay around 60 equivalent dollars a month and that includes a coach (who is paid with parts of that fee) three times a week for one hour Tue,Wed and Thursdays. My fee allows me to swim any time I wish to, unless all lanes are taken up for other classes. The pool opens on Saturdays mornings, never on Sundays. It is partially heated, but not covered. At practice I usually share one lane with another guy, sometimes we have three and circle. Most in our group are older masters but the coach allows for the slower or older doing 75s instead of 100s when possible. I think I pay little for what I get. billy fanstone

Lightning
October 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
$45/month for 4 coached practices per week, but you have to be a member of the YMCA which of course has monthly dues as well. There is also a yearly membership fee of around $100.

Swimmy83843
October 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
$20/Month for members of the rec center. I think $35/Month with out the membership. 3 morning workouts, two evening workouts one hour each. hour and a half on saturday morning.

Lump
October 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
$72 a quarter and I have a few pools to choose from (county facilities). I coach myself, so that part is free.

aquageek
October 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Wow, some of you guys are getting amazing deals. I figured $50 would be a bare minimum for a team that works out at least five days per week.

It might be less amazing if I were forced to calculate my total annual expense on swimming.

Zurn
October 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.fwmasters.com/ (http://www.fwmasters.com/) - They have the fee's listed on the web site. I pay $70 a month, but I get to swim in the King County Aquatic Center and I have a choice of two to three workouts a day. Of course, due to my work schedule I only get to swim once a day, but that's where I'm at. I was swimming on my own and lap swim at the Fife pool was $3.50 per swim and at King County it is $5 per swim.

Now I was in Las Vegas a week ago and their coach didn't charge for walk in swimmers. I though that was interesting. After speaking to a few swimmers, they said they just had to pay for pool time, the coach "volunteered" his time. Not sure what the pool fees were.

Calvin S
October 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
It might be less amazing if I were forced to calculate my total annual expense on swimming.

Thats what I was saying. I pay 45/month, but that is strictly my team practice dues. i probably run up a bill of 200-300 a year on meet entries alone, not to mention hotel, travel, etc (which i manage to keep down by rooming with returning college swimmers on travel meets)

Midas
October 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I pay $65/month. My team has coached workouts Monday-Saturday morning and Monday-Thursday evening. We also swim in one of the most awesome five lane pools ever built pre-1970.

Our coach has a light hand--she might point out stroke issues and she is more active in making such suggestions to more novice swimmers. She certainly doesn't loom over us to ensure we do the workouts she writes or anything like that (well, except on Saturdays which are our most intense workouts). She does write very good workouts which evidence a clear "plan" for training the competitive swimmers on our team for the various meet seasons as well as the hour swim. Plus she's a great person and she just makes me, at least, want to perform. "Coaching" masters swimmers is a very different undertaking than it is for age groupers.

BillS
October 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
We have a great deal. I pay $30 per month for access to 5 (M-F) coached morning workouts from 6:00-7:30 and 2 (M/W) coached evening workouts from 5:30-6:30. Coaches are excellent and very involved in giving the workouts and giving feedback. No whiteboards ever.

I think I get a $5 discount becasue my kids swim on the club team, but it's still a good deal.

For the morning workout, we have free reign of a very nice 10 lane 25 meter pool. We also get to play with the blocks when we feel like it, pull lane lines as necessary, and basically do whatever we feel like every am.

You also have to buy pool entry. I pay $620 for an annual family pass. An adult 10x punch card runs $27.

You can always come down and swim with us, Kirk, although the commute may be a little rough even by Seattle standards.

Justin Ritter
October 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM
$65 a month for 28 coached workouts a week. Yep, 28. Three 1-hour workouts in the morning, one at mid-day, and a 90 minute workout in the evening, Monday thru Friday. Three 1-hour workouts Saturday morning. All in a six-lane pool divided by speed from 1:15 to 2:00. You swim as many or few as you want for the monthly fee. Cal students pay significantly less. I have yet to find any other team with as many workout choices. I have also yet to hear of anyone on our team doing all 28 workouts in a week. I've toyed with the idea but then decided that other things, like sleep and sitting around doing nothing, were more important.

nkfrench
October 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
One-time signup ($50), monthly ($70), every other year fundraising ($50). Some other area teams are cheaper per month but charge a separate pool use fees so they tend to average out.

The team pays the professional coach's expenses for a few car travel meets each year and also to send him to an annual coach clinic (splitting carpool/hotel costs). They also cover his annual expenses for CPR/First Aid/Safety and other certifications and registration with USMS and throw in some team logo coach shirts. Less-expensive teams may reduce their expenses in these areas.

coffeegirl
October 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
We are an age-group and masters team. Everyone pays a flat fee of $80 per month. Multi-coached practice M-F 6:30-8:00pm. Yearly administrative fee $25 per person or $50 per family.

jim clemmons
October 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
We pay 60/mo, 175/qtr or 640/yr by check. If you have an automatic payment thru a credit card on file, you receive a slight discount: 55/mo, 160/qtr, 620/yr.

We have 7 days a week water, 29 workouts, all coached.

http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=manatee

Mswimming
October 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Our team gives a discount if our kids are part of the age group team. Makes it about $25 per month for 7 work outs a week. For me, Master's swimming is easily the best deal going. I can't even get access to a pool for that little, let alone get a coached work out from some of the best master's coaches in the country.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

knelson
October 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Our team gives a discount if our kids are part of the age group team.

Do you know how much it is if you don't have kids on the team?

tjrpatt
October 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
At Villanova, we can pay 4 months for like 160 bucks. This is a good deal because when I first did the 4 month, I tallied all the practices I did and it would have been like 400 bucks if I did 6 bucks each practice(I would go 4 times a week since there were 2 5:30 PM practices, now there are on 5:30 PM practice and two 4PM practices).
Per practice is 6 bucks
Monthly is like 55 bucks.

Masters program at my Y is free but you have to have a membership which is like 38 bucks or I think that it is going up to 40 bucks a month.

Age group practice is 8 bucks for 2 hours. If I were to swim with them on a 6x week basis, it would be similar to what swimshark pays. Hence, one reason that I am still reluctant to swim with 16 years full time.

Betsy
October 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I swim at a Y where a coached workout is free to members. There are 3 workouts per week.
I coach at city recreation centers. Each workout is $3 with a punch card system - you only pay when you actually attend. There are 7 coached workouts per week. A monthly pass is sold that is good for all classes (swimming and fitness classes). I think that is $30+, I'm not sure.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Our team gives a discount if our kids are part of the age group team. Makes it about $25 per month for 7 work outs a week. For me, Master's swimming is easily the best deal going. I can't even get access to a pool for that little, let alone get a coached work out from some of the best master's coaches in the country.

Mission Viejo Nadadores currently holds 6 workouts a day Monday thru Friday and 1 on each Saturday and Sunday. 32 total a week.

No charge for parking. Must be USMS registered ($40).

Regular Fees:
Specific workout only: $45/month
Total access member: $55/month
Week Visitor: $20
Satellite Membership: $50 annual
Swimmers located too far outside the area to attend practice but would like to receive the email newsletters, workout access, updates including meets, clinics, and special team events.
Initiation Fee: $20
This one time fee is charged upon joining the team.

pwb
October 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Mission Viejo Nadadores currently holds 6 workouts a day Monday thru Friday and 1 on each Saturday and Sunday. 32 total a week.

Regular Fees:
Swimmers located too far outside the area to attend practice but would like to receive the email newsletters, workout access, updates including meets, clinics, and special team events.

That's a smoking deal.

Although, I've got it pretty darn good with Sun Devil Masters with access to something like 30 workouts across 4 different pools, 2 on the ASU campus and 2 in Scottsdale for $60 per month. Realistically that breaks down to 3 workouts a day per weekday in either Tempe or north Scottsdale plus a workout on Saturday (though the times are such that you could do a double on Saturday between the two cities).

tjrpatt
October 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Regular Fees:

Wow, what a nice deal.

knelson
October 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, MVN is a great deal and it's a nice pool. Maybe I should just move to Orange County :)

We're looking at paying around $80/hour just to rent the pool then we'll need to pay a coach on top of that. So for a 90 minute workout the total cost will be somewhere around $150. It's a six-lane pool, so with four to a lane that's $6.25 per person. Based on this I'm concluding that many teams must pay much, much less to rent their pools!

ehoch
October 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM
So for a 90 minute workout the total cost will be somewhere around $150. It's a six-lane pool, so with four to a lane that's $6.25 per person. Based on this I'm concluding that many teams must pay much, much less to rent their pools!

First - I think you need to cut it to 60 min workouts. Will not add any members by offering a 90 min workout and it's obviously cheaper.

Then - you need to look at it based on membership, not per workout. $100 per workout - let's say 60 workouts a month (2 per day) - you need at least 100 members to make it work.

SCAQ (So Cal Aquatics) - I think dues are $65 / 8 pools / 64 workouts per week

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 7th, 2009, 01:40 AM
We're looking at paying around $80/hour just to rent the pool then we'll need to pay a coach on top of that. So for a 90 minute workout the total cost will be somewhere around $150. It's a six-lane pool, so with four to a lane that's $6.25 per person. Based on this I'm concluding that many teams must pay much, much less to rent their pools!

Kirk and others -

You need to find a successful model similar to your own to build toward.
What works for large teams like MVN and SCAQ may not work for your club at least right now.
Do you know there is a staff member at USMS dedicated to Club Development?

It is no doubt a numbers game.
As an assistant coach, something I have heard consistently from every head coach is, "all we need is 30-50 more swimmers".
Those "all we need" numbers never change even when you have gotten them!!

Consider asking some of your knowledgable, interested and enthusiastic swimmers to get into a rotation to coach the team until you can afford a regular "full-time" coach.
Talk to the Long Beach Grunions about this program, they're a great example of a get it done organization - and still a good time club!

You might be surprised to hear that there are many masters swim clubs out there - and very large clubs, who do not pay a cent for pool or lane rental.

Coaches can make a decent living and age-group programs can be funded.

Find the club model that matches your current situation.

But keep an eye on the model your club has the potential to become.

swimshark
October 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah, MVN is a great deal and it's a nice pool. Maybe I should just move to Orange County :)

Kirk, I know our main pool a few years ago charged $14 per hour per lane. I'm sure it's gone up to at least $18 now. So My team rents 5 lanes for 90 min $135 per morning session (based on $18 guess). That's just for the pool. Then we have 2 coaches on deck. This is for my age group team but would apply to the masters team that practices there as well.

jgale
October 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have experience with two different masters groups in our area. One is run by the municipalitycosts $4.50 per session inclusive of pool time. During the indoor season, we have three coached sessions per week on Tues/Thurs/Sat. In the summer, we have access to an outdoor pool and have 5 coached sessions (Mon-Fri). I have also swum with group in the area. Total fees are $6.00 with $3 going to the municipality for the pool and $3 to the coach. We have three coached sessions per week (Tues/Thurs/Sat).

Lap swimming runs between $3 and $5 dollars at local municipal pools. The Y runs about $54 per month with two facilities in the area and pretty good hours Mon - Sunday.

knelson
October 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
First - I think you need to cut it to 60 min workouts. Will not add any members by offering a 90 min workout and it's obviously cheaper.

I don't think an hour is long enough, but this is certainly an option if that's the only way to make the $ numbers work, I suppose.

I agree with what you said about membership. In the past the number of swimmers we've had in the pool can vary widely from day-to-day. On Mondays we'd sometimes have six to a lane, then later in the week it could be two per lane. If people are paying a flat rate per month this variation doesn't matter.

In our discussions someone suggested having a punch card option where you pay, say, $50 for a ten workout card. I think this is a good idea to get some people who might not attend enough workouts per month to want to pony up the full membership amount, but, on the other hand, the punch card should be expensive enough to discourage the regulars from choosing this option.

Thanks for all the responses so far, everyone. This is good info!

knelson
October 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
You might be surprised to hear that there are many masters swim clubs out there - and very large clubs, who do not pay a cent for pool or lane rental.

I am surprised, especially in this economic climate. Pool are just giving away time? In this area we are struggling to even keep the pools open due to budget crunches. Municipalities are definitely doing everything they can to bring cashflow in to run the pools.

It must be a difficult balance. Pools need money to run, but they have to charge a price that groups are willing to pay. The pool sitting there with the pumps and heater running, but no one swimming, isn't doing anyone any good.

Tim L
October 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Annual masters swim pass is $375. One workout per day 7 days a week (mornings only). The coaches swim with us, but are pretty attentive to technique especially with the less experienced swimmers. I think you can also get a annual pass to the recreation centers for our district for $350 per year and then pay another $100 on top of that and get masters too. The swim facility is only about 7 or 8 years old. Pretty good deal for $375 or $450 per year and we never or very rarely have more than 2 or 3 swimmers to a lane. USMS membership is not required since facility has insurance and it is a facility sponsored team. We have lots of triathletes and open water swimmers.

Tim

Ken Classen
October 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Were at $48 per month, $460 annually. We have 10 coached workouts and 3 non coached workout times per week. This price has been steady for around 9 or 10 years however we have been reduced from 15 to 10 coached workouts per week. And recently the varsity swim team went to closed practices, in the past there were always a couple of lap lanes available even during there workouts which allowed a extended warm down etc., which for many workouts we can no longer do.

We do have a professional paid coaching staff.

http://recreation.du.edu/aquatics/?main=4&main2=80&main3=0

knelson
October 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The swim facility is only about 7 or 8 years old.

Ours is 70 years old!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I don't think an hour is long enough, but this is certainly an option if that's the only way to make the $ numbers work, I suppose.
I agree with what you said about membership. In the past the number of swimmers we've had in the pool can vary widely from day-to-day. On Mondays we'd sometimes have six to a lane, then later in the week it could be two per lane. If people are paying a flat rate per month this variation doesn't matter.
In our discussions someone suggested having a punch card option where you pay, say, $50 for a ten workout card. I think this is a good idea to get some people who might not attend enough workouts per month to want to pony up the full membership amount, but, on the other hand, the punch card should be expensive enough to discourage the regulars from choosing this option.
Thanks for all the responses so far, everyone. This is good info!

Kirk, you are trying to save your masters swim club.
Your swimmers need to understand they are supporting this effort and unite to make it happen. Perhaps once you establish the club again and start building the numbers, you can offer something back to these original members for their initial investment.

Lots of clubs rely on and are profitable due to what we call "sponsor swimmers" - they pay dues but don't swim much or at all. Similar to most health club memberships.
Personally, I am against this practice and remind a swimmer of their sponsor status when I see them on deck!

[/quote]The coaches swim with us, but are pretty attentive to technique especially with the less experienced swimmers.[/quote](Tim L)

It does seem that this is an arrangement by necessity for some clubs but it is not ideal for safety, actual coaching or team building.

Questionaires, feedback, and actual experience show that the efforts of the coach and namely the coach on deck drives the energy and success of the program.
Get creative and try to keep an enthusiastic coach on deck if at all possible.

ourswimmer
October 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM

But you are a highly competitive distance swimmer, and you also may have more discretionary time than a lot of people who would or could join your team. For a lot of people, 90 min. is more time than they can or want to commit to a swim practice.

Our team offers several one-hour workouts in a row on weekdays. Most people do just one, but some people on some days do 1.5 or 2 if we can stay over without bothering the people who are there just for the next workout. That compromise seems to work.

knelson
October 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
For a lot of people, 90 min. is more time than they can or want to commit to a swim practice.

True. Typically the numbers started dwindling after the hour mark. Sometimes by the end of practice just the fastest couple lanes would still be well populated. But, IMO anyway, this works well. People know they are free to get out when they need to or have had enough, but those who wish to stay in can. I guess the question now is whether the additional 30 minutes is worth the extra money.

Tim L
October 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
The coaches swim with us, but are pretty attentive to technique especially with the less experienced swimmers.

It does seem that this is an arrangement by necessity for some clubs but it is not ideal for safety, actual coaching or team building.

Questionaires, feedback, and actual experience show that the efforts of the coach and namely the coach on deck drives the energy and success of the program.
Get creative and try to keep an enthusiastic coach on deck if at all possible.

You might be right about the energy and success from coaching on deck, but our group is small and probably not going to grow significantly no matter how much horsepower and enthusiasm you put on deck. Such an investment would make no sense for the facility.

I have swam with a few other masters clubs on occasion with deck coaches who were a whole lot less involved than our in-water coaches so I will take our arrangement any day. I don't understand the safety issue because there is a lifeguard on duty.

Kirk, I swam in a really old facility in college (water coming into the pool was often rust colored) and an old hotel pool in high school so I completely understand. Our current underutilized pleasure palace is almost too good to be true for me and close to the house too. Thank you taxpayers!

Tim

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
You might be right about the energy and success from coaching on deck, but our group is small and probably not going to grow significantly no matter how much horsepower and enthusiasm you put on deck. Such an investment would make no sense for the facility.

I have swam with a few other masters clubs on occasion with deck coaches who were a whole lot less involved than our in-water coaches so I will take our arrangement any day. I don't understand the safety issue because there is a lifeguard on duty.
Tim

Its always a shame when a paid masters coach is not attentive during workouts lowering the level of respect for coaches in general. But this is discussed on many other forum threads and unfortunately continues in all size clubs.

I believe the arrangement that you are describing is referred to by USMS as a "Workout Group" rather than a Masters Swim Club.

Since your group does not require USMS registration, it is perhaps a semi-organized group lap swimmers? Maybe some even compete in meets and so are registered with USMS.
Demonstrating that this model or arrangement can also be quite successful since it answers the needs of the members.

fatboy
October 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
We must join the park district for $ 195 / yr ,then it's $35 for the team. Our coach does not take any pay. I collect from the team for a gift at the end of the season.

Same team as OZ. We have three coached workouts of 90 minutes each week - Mon & Wed Night and Sun Morning. There is sometimes an additional informal workout on Friday mornings coached by one of the team members.

Since we have a membership we can also swim on our own anytime there is lap swimming.

jessicafk11
October 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I currently pay about $50 a month for a full membership to the pool that I swim at. It's a bit higher because I don't live in the town it is in. I am looking to start practicing with a team as well and the one I am going to check out first charges $200 for a semester, $60 for 4 weeks, or $10 for drop in and they offer 5 practices a week.

henrycalhoun51
October 8th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Here 150 a year, swim as much as you want if there is room... Not the best pool though but it does fine.

Tim L
October 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Since your group does not require USMS registration, it is perhaps a semi-organized group lap swimmers? Maybe some even compete in meets and so are registered with USMS.
Demonstrating that this model or arrangement can also be quite successful since it answers the needs of the members.

No,we are a team and fairly organized. Probably 25% of the swimmers are registered with USMS to swim meets or open water swims. We are no MVN, but our model is probably the only one that would work in our location.

Tim

orca1946
October 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Depending on the # of coaches, time with each swimmer at every practice will be limited.I work at trying to talk with each , but know there is always someone I miss.

Herb
October 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I recently joined a top notch health club for $150/month family membership, almost twice what I was paying at the Y, but it's a dream. No more 85 degree water, noodlers and all the crap I put up with for years. I've got multiple pools, indoors, outdoors, always a free lane plus all the other facilties. Hopefully I don't get laid off soon. There are Masters workouts with coach 4 nights a week (free with membership) but I haven't been able to fit it in much with my schedule.

BTW, KNelson - Go Green! (I thought I read on here you went to MSU).

knelson
October 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
BTW, KNelson - Go Green! (I thought I read on here you went to MSU).

You are correct, sir!

matysekj
October 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM
We buy punch cards for our workouts. A punch card just went up from $60 to $70 and includes 15 punches/workouts. In other words, it just went up from $4/workout to $4.67/workout. We have 3 weekday AM and 3 weekday PM workouts available, plus a Saturday AM workout. In the summer there is a 4th evening weekday workout available. So if I work out 4x per week, I'm currently paying about $75/month. At 5x per week in the summer, it's up to $98/month. That's too high.

The pay-as-you-go punch card model is helpful to you for times when you travel or are sick or otherwise occupied and can't swim as much as you want. However, if you are a consistent swimmer you end up paying much more than the average here.

loree
October 10th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Is $80/hr for pool rental the going rate in your area? And how many swimmers do you/did you have before the unfortunate dropping of the UW team (is there enough base to sustain the higher fees)? And what is the rate of the masters teams in your area?

I think you really need to look at all of these things too -- you don't want to price yourself out of the market.

I agree w/ pp that said maybe you'll need to rebuild the team using volunteer coaches/team members for awhile to save on costs. And maybe only start w/ 2-3 days/week and build from there. Oh -- and I know pool space/time in your area is like gold -- but is there anywhere else that may give you a better rate for pool rental??? Or can you join forces w/ another team temporarily & share coaching & pool time????

So sorry that you are in this situation -- I'm very familiar with your old pool!!! I swam w/ Husky Masters a *very* long time ago and am a UW swimming alum.

bblh20
October 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Yearly pool fee of $180.00
Monthly fee $55 (receive a discount if paid 6 mos in advance/bigger discount if paid a year in advance)
4 pools available with coached workouts
workouts offered Mon thru Fri mornings for 90 minutes and an hour on Sat and Sun mornings
also one hour evening workouts available twice a week
during summer, coached open water swimming workouts
also must have current USMS membership

swimcat
October 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
i pay $75. a month coached. lap swim is 50 i think unlimited. we have no evening workout, no gym and limited morning practice. 2 or 3 week.
if he wasnt worth it, i would have walked by now:)

Muppet
October 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Kirk,
Our team, also at a university (Maryland-College Park), has a glorified punch-card system - we use magnetic swipe cards linked into the facility's entry system. We purchase 15 swims at a time, and one swim is debited every time you walk through the turnstiles and have your card swiped. $5.25 per swim for a non-student/non-member of the facility.

We are run as somewhat a joint venture between the team and Campus Recreation Services, who runs the recreation facilities at Maryland... we pay our swipe card fees to CRS and they hire coaches, work out pool space, etc., and then we manage our own meets, gear, website, etc.

For the record, our membership probably averages 2-3 workouts per week, so between $40 and $60 per month. Personally, I'm usually renewing my swipe card on a monthly basis.

knelson
October 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
This is very similar to what the Seattle Parks pools do. For lap swims the cost is $4 per session. For masters and other fitness classes, $5. You can pay cash or buy a swipe card where the per session cost is slightly discounted (I think you pay $45 for 10 swims). You can also get an unlimited monthly pass for $50.

These pools can also be rented for $65/hour. Of course all the prime hours are already taken.