PDA

View Full Version : What suit can I wear Right Now?

ced357
October 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ok, so there are a few meets coming up next month in my area(Metro). Now I'm confused as to what suit I'm allowed to wear. I thought we could wear any suit even a B70 until Jan 1st. Now I read on metroswim.org that usms is adhering to USA's ban starting OCT 1, which would leave my B70 illegal. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know if I can wear a B70 at SCM Zones in Dec?

Calvin S
October 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ok, so there are a few meets coming up next month in my area(Metro). Now I'm confused as to what suit I'm allowed to wear. I thought we could wear any suit even a B70 until Jan 1st. Now I read on metroswim.org that usms is adhering to USA's ban starting OCT 1, which would leave my B70 illegal. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know if I can wear a B70 at SCM Zones in Dec?

you can wear whatever your heart desires...for now.

ced357
October 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
you can wear whatever your heart desires...for now.

That's what I thought until I read this on metroswim.org. This seems to imply otherwise.

The high-tech swim suit ban goes into effect on October 1, 2009, and regulates swimsuits worn in all USMS–
sanctioned competitions. But what exactly does “high-tech swimsuits” even mean? Following is the current
criteria that should be followed to determine if a suit is legal for pool competition:

1. Swimsuits for men may not extend above the navel or below the knee and for women
may not cover the neck or extend past the shoulders or below the knee;
2. No zippers or other fastening devices are allowed except for a waist tie on a brief or
jammer; and
3. Suits must be of textile material and must not be made of any rubberized type of
material such as polyurethane or neoprene. FINA has not yet provided a release of the
acceptable textile suits, but once they do, we will post the list immediately.
If the suit meets the above three criteria, it should be assumed to be an approved suit during this interim period.
Coaches, officials, meet directors, and swimmers are urged to use common sense in this matter.

thewookiee
October 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
That's what I thought until I read this on metroswim.org. This seems to imply otherwise.

The high-tech swim suit ban goes into effect on October 1, 2009, and regulates swimsuits worn in all USMS–
sanctioned competitions. But what exactly does “high-tech swimsuits” even mean? Following is the current
criteria that should be followed to determine if a suit is legal for pool competition:

1. Swimsuits for men may not extend above the navel or below the knee and for women
may not cover the neck or extend past the shoulders or below the knee;
2. No zippers or other fastening devices are allowed except for a waist tie on a brief or
jammer; and
3. Suits must be of textile material and must not be made of any rubberized type of
material such as polyurethane or neoprene. FINA has not yet provided a release of the
acceptable textile suits, but once they do, we will post the list immediately.
If the suit meets the above three criteria, it should be assumed to be an approved suit during this interim period.
Coaches, officials, meet directors, and swimmers are urged to use common sense in this matter.

That is for USA meets. USMS/FINA Masters have not outlawed suits at the present time.

Calvin S
October 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah that document seems to be a semi generic announcement sent out by club teams to there swimmers. My club team got one worded almost the same way. This one you linked just substituted usms for USA-s, and is therefore incorrect.

Glenn
October 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Wear what you want until further notice, which most likely will be until Jan. 1. We had a meet in Mission Viejo this past weekend and many people including me, wore B70's or other tech suits.

swoomer
October 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I was going to ask the same question. Will the "anything goes" policy also apply to the Pan Am Masters Meet in Veracruz, Mexico?

quicksilver
October 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
News letter from the Metro registrar...

**Contrary to previously disseminated and confusing information on high tech swim suits, USMS has NOT issued a BAN on wearing high tech suits in ANY masters-sanctioned events (yards or meters) at this time. Yes, other national governing bodies of swimming have instituted a ban effective October 1st, but USMS has NOT. So those expensive full-body swim suits you've purchased to compete in are still good. We expect to receive concrete current information from USMS soon, and will post same on the Metro website at that time (please ignore any swim suit ban info you might see posted online right now).

In addition, USMS national office has stated that they will send out an urgent email message to all USMS-registered swimmers the moment a decision is reached on banned high tech suits. Just be aware that SOME TIME IN JANUARY, FINA (international governing body) will publish their final ruling with a complete list of banned suits - at which time USMS will adopt the SAME banned suit list/ruling.

ced357
October 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the confirmation.:)

BillS
October 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
News letter from the Metro registrar...

In addition, USMS national office has stated that they will send out an urgent email message to all USMS-registered swimmers the moment a decision is reached on banned high tech suits. Just be aware that SOME TIME IN JANUARY, FINA (international governing body) will publish their final ruling with a complete list of banned suits - at which time USMS will adopt the SAME banned suit list/ruling.

I don't think this is necessarily true. FINA may decide that it has no business regulating masters; it may adopt different rules for masters and 'elites', as urged by USMS; and/or USMS may choose to go its own way on some or all courses.

The only thing certain about January is that it will come, time being inexorable.

I predict that we masters will still be in our (by then, saggy, faded, and worn) B70s come Hotlanta SCY Nats next year. Your prediction may vary.

quicksilver
October 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
FINA may decide that it has no business regulating masters; it may adopt different rules for masters and 'elites', as urged by USMS; and/or USMS may choose to go its own way on some or all courses.True. USMS does benefit from sponsorship.

There is absolutely no harm to the sport in having non-Olympians racing in their black (or Blue) speed suits.

In fact, more *elite* world class people might want to swim in masters meets, just for fun, to see what they can do with the illegal gear.

orca1946
October 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Anything you want for now, till they change their minds again ??!!

pwb
October 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Here's a response received when asked explicitly about what suits are legal now:

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Kathy Casey <kathyj.casey@comcast.net (mhtml:%7BDC187D75-293D-4830-AEBA-0E1DD9E83F8C%7Dmid://00000103/%21x-usc:mailto:kathyj.casey@comcast.net)>
To: Tracy Grilli <tracyswims@mindspring.com (mhtml:%7BDC187D75-293D-4830-AEBA-0E1DD9E83F8C%7Dmid://00000103/%21x-usc:mailto:tracyswims@mindspring.com)>; Kathy Casey <rules@usms.org (mhtml:%7BDC187D75-293D-4830-AEBA-0E1DD9E83F8C%7Dmid://00000103/%21x-usc:mailto:rules@usms.org)>
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:42:10 AM
Subject: RE: Message from a usms.org (mhtml:%7BDC187D75-293D-4830-AEBA-0E1DD9E83F8C%7Dmid://00000103/%21x-usc:http://usms.org/) visitor

Because the Rules Committee met Sunday night regarding the delay of a FINA
decision for swimwear rules for Masters until mid-January, and we are
working with the USMS Board on a message to all USMS members now. The June
1, 2009 USMS swimwear interpretation is still in effect. At this point,
there has been no change in the USMS swimwear interpretation.

Kathy Casey, Chair
USMS Rules Committee