PDA

View Full Version : SCY Meets within 200 miles?

elise526
October 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Just curious to see how many folks have a USMS SCY meet within 200 miles of where they live in the next four months. Not one for me until February 13. Fortunately, there is one SCM during this time period about 130 miles away.

thewookiee
October 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
How far are you from Pensacola? There is a 1 day short course meet there in Nov.

I am going to Orlando this weekend. Probably the scm meet in atlanta in dec, and trying to find one in Nov.

elise526
October 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
How far are you from Pensacola? There is a 1 day short course meet there in Nov.

I am going to Orlando this weekend. Probably the scm meet in atlanta in dec, and trying to find one in Nov.

I'm about 300 miles from Pensacola. Wish a team in Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville, or Chattanooga (your neck of the woods, wookiee) would put on a meet. I'd almost be tempted to put one on at our Y, but we don't have blocks or even stop watches for that matter.

Good luck at your meet this weekend!

Midas
October 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
In the Pacific Masters LMSC, depending on where you live there are up to four SCY meets in the next 4 months within 200 miles, plus our SCM championships and some neat postal events.

slknight
October 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
We have several, but that's because most of the pools around here are old YMCA 25-yard pools.

http://www.mainemasters.org/schedule.htm

We don't have a single 50-meter pool in the entire state. :bitching:

poolraat
October 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Every masters meet I do I have to travel over 200 miles.

tjrpatt
October 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
We have several, but that's because most of the pools around here are old YMCA 25-yard pools.

http://www.mainemasters.org/schedule.htm

We don't have a single 50-meter pool in the entire state. :bitching:

That is a travesty of justice to have no 50 meter pools in a state.

tjrpatt
October 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
We have plenty of yards meets in our area but most of them do the sprint schedule which involves no 200 fly, 400 IM, or 1000/1650 free. Thus, I have to do more Age group meets and do meets in neighboring LMSCs. Also, we only have local SCM meet a year and that in January. SCM season is over in December.

slknight
October 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
That is a travesty of justice to have no 50 meter pools in a state.

Yes. Yes it is. :agree:

Swimosaur
October 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have exactly one (that's "1") USMS meet of any description within 200 miles in the next year. That's a typical year for me. The other plausibly accessible USMS meets are 300 or more miles away. I plan to drive the 300 miles to Atlanta at least three and possibly four times in the next 8 months or so.

That said, I can appreciate the difficulty of organizing a USMS meet in an area which does not have a large population of masters swimmers. It would be a lot of work for an uncertain return.

mermaid
October 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Allegheny Mountain Masters is going to host its First Ever meet on December 13, 2009 @ Duquesne University. It's a SCY Pentathlon.

There is a First Ever Clinic on December 12, 2009 @ Duquesne University as well. The clinic is Long Axis Fundamentals: Freestyle & Backstroke.

We have a very active YMCA Legue here and all the meets that are held here are at YMCA SCY pools throughout the western PA region www.amymsa.org

pm me if you want more info

thewookiee
October 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have exactly one (that's "1") USMS meet of any description within 200 miles in the next year. That's a typical year for me. The other plausibly accessible USMS meets are 300 or more miles away. I plan to drive the 300 miles to Atlanta at least three and possibly four times in the next 8 months or so.

That said, I can appreciate the difficulty of organizing a USMS meet in an area which does not have a large population of masters swimmers. It would be a lot of work for an uncertain return.

Are you counting the one in Asheville, Louisville or the one in Lexington,ky? There is usually a spring meet in lexington around march. Louisville has a scm meet in nov. and a scy meet in late feb or early march as well. Counting the meet in Asheville in Sept, there are 4 meets within 200 miles of Knoxville.

Going to meets from knoxville to atlanta really isn't a difficult drive,unless you get stuck in our road work in chattanooga.

Donna
October 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I useually travel to Myrtle Beach and Atlanta to do USMS Meets that is why I do USA meets they are in my backyard Savannah. The kids have gotten used to seeing the old lady/coach swim.

Swimosaur
October 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Are you counting the one in Asheville, Louisville or the one in Lexington,ky? There is usually a spring meet in lexington around march. Louisville has a scm meet in nov. and a scy meet in late feb or early march as well. Counting the meet in Asheville in Sept, there are 4 meets within 200 miles of Knoxville.

Louisville is 250 miles away, but you are right, I forgot about the one in Lexington. I guess I had mentally blocked it out since it's (usually/as far as I can tell) close to the same time as the St. Pat meet in Atlanta.

thewookiee
October 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Louisville is 250 miles away, but you are right, I forgot about the one in Lexington. I guess I had mentally blocked it out since it's (usually/as far as I can tell) close to the same time as the St. Pat meet in Atlanta.

Yea, they are either the same weekend or a weekend apart. The one in L'ville in the Feb/March is a fun 1 day meet, in a really nice pool.

knelson
October 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I answered zero, but voted too soon. Looking at the PNA website there's the Anacortes meet in January which is about 75 miles from Seattle.

Swimmy83843
October 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Every masters meet I do I have to travel over 200 miles.

Are you coming over for our November meet? The entry form is posted on our website.

funkyfish
October 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Living in AR, I'm only aware of one scy meet that occurs in November, and it's in Oklahoma City. There's another scy meet in Little Rock, but I think it occurs in April (outside of the 4 month time-line), and a scm meet in Tulsa in April as well. To do any more short course meets I'd have to swim with the kiddos, and I'm not ready to do that yet.
:banana:

poolraat
October 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Are you coming over for our November meet? The entry form is posted on our website.

I already have the entry form. I'm planning on being there.

aztimm
October 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Do you mean how many meets there are, or how many I plan to do?

I checked, "none," for the second option. Here in AZ, there's always at least 1 meet for every course (SCY, LCM, SCM), either in Tucson or Phoenix (both within 200 miles of my home), and sometimes other areas. I think for the SCM season there are 2 meets in the Phoenix area, both within 20 miles of my home, but I don't plan to do either.

I usually find out that there's a meet days before it happens, when the coach asks if anyone is tapering. By that point, it is usually well past the registration deadline.

elise526
October 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
GREAT NEWS FOR THOSE IN SE LMSC

Got an e-mail today that Crimson Tide Aquatics has recently decided to hold a one-day SCY meet on October 31. I can't attend, but am posting info here for those that might be interested.

Maybe wookiee wil put aside his allegiance to his beloved Auburn and appear at Alabama for this meet. ;)

Glider
October 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Wookie,

Have you seen this meet:

2009 CRIMSON TIDE MASTERS SHORT-COURSE YARDS SPRINT CUP
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA, OCTOBER 31, 2009

I've never seen it before. The meet info is here (http://www.dixiezone.org/Meets/0910crimson_tide.pdf). Sweet pool.

Edit: I see Elizabeth beat me to it.

Going to meets from knoxville to atlanta really isn't a difficult drive,unless you get stuck in our road work in chattanooga.

thewookiee
October 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Yea, I saw it. I have other plans that weekend. Glad they are hosting a meet though.