PDA

View Full Version : 2009 / 2010 NCAA & USS CUTS vs suit rules

ande
October 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
What should the NCAA & USS do about cuts with the new suit rules?
Swimmers aren't likely to swim as fast.

Anyone have any opinions?

2008/2009 NCAA Cuts (http://65.110.72.225/SPIPDF/QualStandardsDI08-09.pdf)

USS SCY National Cuts Dec 2009 (http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/31319109-a88d-4dd3-bb9a-cc271e272b29/08_standards.pdf)

LCM Summer National Cuts Aug 2010 (http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/8951914b-a314-4045-8196-57ced93db239/2010_nats_sum_cuts.pdf)

knelson
October 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I think USA Swimming should just keep the same cuts rather than revise them this year. Yes, fewer people will probably make things like Nationals cuts, but I think they should see how things pan out then they can make changes next year. I think the problem in the last couple years has been too many people qualifying.

For the NCAA, maybe keep the A cuts as is, but make the B cuts a little slower. Maybe baseline them at 2004 or something.

ehoch
October 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Found this about 2012 Trials cuts :

Olympic Trials will return to Omaha in 2012 ...
o Time standards will not be set until fall 2010 in order for the post‐technical suit times to be evaluated. Desired number of athletes is 800‐1000 (1200 in 2008).

NCAA is not that much of an issue - although I have not seen the Div 1 times yet. The A cut can usually only be made by 5 or less people no matter what - then they fill up the meet until they get some x number of swimmers.

Next summer Nationals - that is one with a mixed times base - the qualifying period started on July 1, 2009. But I believe the times are the same as in the past (they really did not get faster anyway - they just had more swimmers...)

KEWebb18
October 13th, 2009, 09:50 PM
This will probably make things interesting. People who may have been close to getting the B cuts may not get them now. Those people who swim fast will still swim fast.
We really won't know once the championship meets start.

tjrpatt
October 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
This will probably make things interesting. People who may have been close to getting the B cuts may not get them now. Those people who swim fast will still swim fast.
We really won't know once the championship meets start.

I guess that they will have to train a little harder and cut out a few keggers from their diet.

Calvin S
October 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Well the Open cuts are the same as they were in 2008, when only the lzr and some b70s were available (and i believe at the time of the meet, you had to be on the national team to even get a lzr. if i remember correctly). the SC National cuts have been the same for the past couple years. I don't see the suit issues affecting the time standards for the big meets. The times will remain the same or fluctuate based on attendance levels for said meets.

**edit**

the way i see it, the past two years have just seen abnormally high attendance rates due to the faster swimming and more people qualifying based on time standards which have been in place for several years. This year attendance should fall back to its normal level (unless, god forbid, the suits weren't as much cause for concern as people originally thought!!) and as i stated above, the time standards will again fluctuate based on average attendance in different events/the meet.