PDA

View Full Version : So now I might have the flu.

Couroboros
October 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I first noticed I was a little achey earlier this afternoon. There's just the slightest hint of soreness in my throat, and I may be developing a cough or maybe not... and now just a few minutes ago I took my temp... 100! **** me. My school's health center was starting free flu shots TOMORROW! :bitching:

I guess I'll just have to slug it out tomorrow if it doesn't go away tonight (hopefully it will). Meanwhile, the first rain of the season has come and it's really windy so practices have been cancelled. Hopefully I don't miss any swimming. :badday:

I'm most afraid that I'll get a cough and start hacking up fluids. Wouldn't that be bad for my lungs?

At least I know turning into athlete is not turning me into a hypochondriac.

Any advice from fellow swimmers who battled the flu/cold/whatever during competitive season, on getting back to the pool ASAP?

marksman
October 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
My advice would be to break the chain - don't go out in public and give it to others.

(Also I'm not sure what they are advising for young people with H1N1 to do so you might contact your student health clinic they may be able to tell you if you should start on tamiflu/relenza and symptoms that you should watch out for, since some (like fluid in the lungs) may be serious.)

qbrain
October 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Don't be afraid to skip some practices to get more rest. Go to the school clinic, tell them you are not pregnant and get a flu test. If you have a strain that is known to be treatable with tamiflu, you are looking at 3-4 days and you will be ready to go again. If not, you might be out for a week or longer. No big deal, you are not taking a giant leap backwards, it is just a speed bump.

The faster you get healthy, the fast you can start pushing hard in practice. You are only missing mediocre practices until you are healthy anyway.

__steve__
October 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The resting heart rate as soon as you rise from sleep (without alarm) is a good indicator on whether or not your ready to train hard. When sick, stressed, or overtrained your resting heart rate increases. To find what your HR when fully recovered is you just keep track of it. For example, mine is 39 - 43 BPM. If I wake up and it's in the 50's I don't train hard until it's low enough to signify I'm rested. I work nights so I just fall back asleep and check again, sometimes an extra hour or two of sleep will lower the heart rate to normal levels. If your unrested and decide to train hard your body's defense weakens increasing the chance of infection.