PDA

View Full Version : How to find people to train with?

Faded_Memories
October 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
A bit about me:

34, male. I swam a bit in my Jr. High and HS years, but not a scorer for the teams. Lettered in HS, but mostly from showing up I think.

I did a short bit of workouts last year with a YMCA trial membership, then signed up again in February when I knew I had to close down my arcade business. (Serious stress coming on and whatnot.)

When I first started again then I could maybe comfortably do 50M at once. I quickly built up to doing a half to a mile a session. Then I got to the point where I wouldn't bother getting in the pool with less than an hour to work with.

A while back I bit the bullet and bought a H2O Interval and BOOM! Doubled my session lengths overnight and started closing in on the 100 mile chart on the wall. (I HIGHLY recommend swimming with music!)

So, 8 months later I can occasionally swim 2400M+ at once, do 1-2 miles a day, swim 5-6 days a week, and have gone from 220+ to 188 pounds. Losing probably a pound a week still, usually.

-------------

With my increased endurance I am looking at trying to do a sprint triathlon in the spring, and it has become obvious that since I can't spend exponentially more time in the pool I need to do more than just distance.

So now I am looking for others to work with, to help me with learning the run and bike angles, as well as mixing up the swims.

How do I find them? I am swimming circles around many of the lap swimmers here, and the ones that are obviously better than me tend to pop in for such short workouts I wonder why they bother. (15 minutes?)

I am worried it may prove extremely difficult to find people to work with, especially ones I can match a schedule with. (I have ALL the time in the world myself. Heaven forbid someone offers me a job to screw that up...)

I am in St. Joseph, MO
Swim at the YMCA

Mostly evenings, but that's just my pattern for now.
Swim, come home, eat everything in sight, plant myself in front of computer/nintendo.....

aquageek
October 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
A good place to start is the usms.org website for local clubs.

http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=22

Go to a local bike shop, they are sure to have a list or two with riding groups. Some on that list might be triathletes. Your local running shop will also have running groups which are sure to have some swimmers also. You'll know they are swimmers because they will be in the back of the running group whining and crying the whole time.

If you have a swim club in your area, ask if they have a Masters program or ask if you can join a kid workout. Or, ask at your Y. You don't have to look under many rocks to find swimmers.

Faded_Memories
October 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
There IS a Adult Masters class available at the 'Y, but they have yet to have the (3) swimmers sign up to schedule a class....Not sure if I'd even count as one of the 3 as I have been given a 'free pass' to classes because of my current lack of employment. I'll have to check the cost again and see if I can pony up. I'd even get up at 5am to attend one instead of sleeping past noon like I do now.

I didn't think about asking at a bike shop, but I was planning to visit one anyway to see about tuning up my mountain bike and seeing what I could upgrade/change on it. (Bars, gear ratio, smoother tires, seat angle etc.)

Thanks!

-eric

bamueller
October 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
When I first started again then I could maybe comfortably do 50M at once. I quickly built up to doing a half to a mile a session. Then I got to the point where I wouldn't bother getting in the pool with less than an hour to work with.

A while back I bit the bullet and bought a H2O Interval and BOOM! Doubled my session lengths overnight and started closing in on the 100 mile chart on the wall. (I HIGHLY recommend swimming with music!)

So, 8 months later I can occasionally swim 2400M+ at once, do 1-2 miles a day, swim 5-6 days a week, and have gone from 220+ to 188 pounds. Losing probably a pound a week still, usually.

Good for you!

As for some other options... Besides the YMCA, you may check some youth (6-18 year olds) leagues if you know of any to see if they have some masters swimmers. Check your other local YMCAs. Check with swim shops, where they sell suits, googles, supplies, ect. Keep your eyes out for triathlon clubs too.

Good luck.