PDA

View Full Version : non-chlorinated pool in Paris ?

nhc
October 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know if there are swimming pools in Paris that use non-chlorine (e.g. ozone)?

joshua
October 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I go to Paris a couple of times a year. In the beginning of 2010 I will be there for 2-3 weeks and I'll have some time on my hands. Where do you swim? I personally don't care about the chlorinated water.

Thanks in advance.

nhc
October 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I haven't swum there yet, but one day I went to Les Halles/Pompidou Center (metro stop at Chatelet/Les Halles) and saw the pool there. It seemed to be in a basement and you have to ask for directions to get there. It was a Saturday early evening, and it was impossibly crowded! People swam neck to neck several columns in the same lane, and there didn't seem to have any rules about directions or styles in each lane. The pool looked big, though. Perhaps it's not as crowded on weekdays.

henrycalhoun51
October 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I had heard in the Europeans areas they used mostly Ozone, but that was several years ago... Google it and send some emails out...

joshua
October 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I googled "swimming pools in Paris" and found around ten. I remember once walking back from visiting Jim Morrison in the Piere Lachaise Cemetery, I think we were walking towards Place Bastille, and I clearly remember seeing a nice pool with a big window at street level. Can't remember where it was, but I remember that it was not packed.

nhc
October 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
but I remember that it was not packed.

Because it's near the cemetery? ;) (the crowded pool I mentioned was in a shopping mall)

Rnovitske
October 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I was in Paris about 10 years ago and went to public lap swimming at the Les Halles pool. It was not crowded, probably because it was Sunday morning, around 10:00. It was in the lowest basement of a large indoor multi-level shopping mall. I got lost trying to find the pool inside the place.

It did use ozone at the time and not chlorine. The pool was set up for lap swimming in the 50-meter direction (or was it 33 meter???) Anyway, there were small signs at each lane (in French) about what stroke or kicking each lane was reserved for. I thought it was weird that lanes were designated by stroke and not speed.

There was also a strange 'pool' of about 18-inches of water that one had to walk through on the way to the pool deck and back into the locker rooms. Not having seen this before, I didn't know what this was for - rinsing off the feet before stepping on deck maybe?

joshua
October 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
There was also a strange 'pool' of about 18-inches of water that one had to walk through on the way to the pool deck and back into the locker rooms. Not having seen this before, I didn't know what this was for - rinsing off the feet before stepping on deck maybe?

Previously to it's renovation, Les Halles was the run down wholesale food market of Paris. Maybe it was left over from then?:afraid:

TRYM_Swimmer
October 19th, 2009, 11:32 PM

A lot of old pools in the US used to have foot baths like that. I can only guess that it was an attempt to limit athlete's foot.

nhc
October 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
If it was ozone 10 years ago then I hope it's the same now, although I seem to remember smelling chlorine at the entrance. :rolleyes:

The small shallow "pool" to be walked through was probably to wash the feet. I've been to a pool where there was not only the same thing on your way from locker room to the pool, but also, just as you are walking through this little pool, suddenly cold water showers you from above! Some people just dash through. It's probably a way to force everyone to shower before entering the pool (recall that many people on this forum said they don't shower before getting into the pool :cool:).

I can only guess that it was an attempt to limit athlete's foot.

I'm afraid that would only help spread athlete's foot.:cool:

Rnovitske
November 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
If it was ozone 10 years ago then I hope it's the same now, although I seem to remember smelling chlorine at the entrance.
Good luck - and maybe the smell was from cleaning/disinfectant solutions in the locker rooms.